• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

55% of YA Books Bought by Adults

Steerpike

Felis amatus
See story here: New Study: 55% of YA Books Bought by Adults

I know I buy YA books if they look good (and a lot of them are). Contrary to what a lot of people think, there doesn't seem to be any limit on subject matter, either in terms of 'dark' themes, sexual content, drug use, and the like. I've seen fairly explicit depictions of all of the above in YA books.

Is YA v. Adult a distinction without difference? It seems like the primary factor is the age of the protagonist.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I've only read a few books in recent years that would qualify as YA so my experience is limited. However, it seems to me that those elements we consider adult (violence, sex, drugs, etc.) are much more graphically depicted in an adult book,

Just because those elements are present wouldn't classify them as adult themes. In my opinion, it's the description. Like I said though, my experience is limited so I could be way off.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I've only read a few books in recent years that would qualify as YA so my experience is limited. However, it seems to me that those elements we consider adult (violence, sex, drugs, etc.) are much more graphically depicted in an adult book,

Just because those elements are present wouldn't classify them as adult themes. In my opinion, it's the description. Like I said though, my experience is limited so I could be way off.

Perhaps, as a general rule. I've read a couple with some pretty explicit sexual depictions, though I don't want to go into detail here. It was enough that I was quite surprised to encounter it in a YA novel novel the first time.

See story here: New Study: 55% of YA Books Bought by Adults

I know I buy YA books if they look good (and a lot of them are). Contrary to what a lot of people think, there doesn't seem to be any limit on subject matter, either in terms of 'dark' themes, sexual content, drug use, and the like. I've seen fairly explicit depictions of all of the above in YA books.

Is YA v. Adult a distinction without difference? It seems like the primary factor is the age of the protagonist.

Could be. I wonder if anyone's done an analysis of YA works as a whole to see if there's any common factors besides the age of the protagonist. Holden Caulfield was 17 in Catcher in the Rye; I don't know that anyone would call it YA. (Although apparently it was originally intended for adult readers, but became popular with teens later. I hated it.)

Roc

Troubadour
I think it would be a good idea to explain what adults are...18+

In that case, I would have guessed more than 55%

Ireth

Myth Weaver
The numbers could be skewed by sales of books to adults who are buying them as holiday/birthday gifts for their kids.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Actually, if you look at the study referenced it looks like they're accounting for the people who are actually reading the works, not simply point-of-purchase.