• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A coffeehouse or diner sound machine...

summondice

Scribe
That's what I need.

I've discovered I can't really write to music, not even classical or otherwise lacking-in-words sorts - I get too distracted by it.

But I also have a hard time in silence, as many people do, and basic noises like a fan or vacuum aren't varied enough to not count as "silence" for my mind, apparently, because it treats them the same way as silence (faceplant on keyboard)

The usual noise machines don't do it for me either - I've never lived near an ocean and the sounds of waves crashing isn't interesting to me, and jungle noises are a little too foreign for my mind to take in and find a rhythm to.

But a coffeehouse or diner? I can write all day long at one of those with no issue because the noises are familiar enough to just blend as background, and nothing is overly loud most of the time. There's enough for my subconscious to do to not get bored while my conscious mind is churning out words.

So...anyone know of any coffeehouse or diner sounds playlists...? :) Because the best I've been able to come up with is "listening" to a podcast about something I know nothing about. I used to listen to a Warhammer 40k podcast because it was a game I had no interest in learning, but I know the presenters so the voices were familiar.

And for the sake of an actual discussion starter: What do you need to be able to write most effectively? What's the most unique thing in your need-set? I think mine is just simply not being able to concentrate without that perfect middle ground of "noise" not noise.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Coffitivity

I don't use it a lot. Just sometimes, when I'm trying to write or work, but also still need to kind of hear the kids in the other room. Music drowns them out too much. So I listen to this.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I wrote an article about this a while back, and writing in coffee shops and such really can bolster creativity, but I didn't look to much into the actual sounds.

I did a search now though, and found this: Coffitivity - it sounds like something you might want to check out. :)

Bah, ninja'd by Devor.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
And for the sake of an actual discussion starter: What do you need to be able to write most effectively? What's the most unique thing in your need-set? I think mine is just simply not being able to concentrate without that perfect middle ground of "noise" not noise.
Usually, I need to be out of my apartment in order to get anything done. If I'm at home, it needs to be dark outside, or it gets difficult for me to focus for some reason.
Also, I'm rarely able to get anything done anywhere without listening to music. :)

Insolent Lad

Maester
I do not think I could work in a coffeehouse or other public place as I am often reading my stuff out loud as I go, or at least talking to myself about it. I would get some strange looks, I am sure.

summondice

Scribe
I absolutely love you guys. I'm trying out coffivity right now and loving it :) I'll try the others too.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I found a weird habit... I can pretty much write through anything to one degree or another, but I’m best off listening to Enigma (8 albums) over and over and over. They’ve become my creative white noise. I know the music so well it blends into my brainwaves, while it also provides ambiance and mood. And it helps muffle the damned ringing in my ears from too many concerts in my youth, heh heh.

I’ve also been doing some writing at the Joslyn Museum in Omaha, NE, after hours while my girls take some art classes inside. That has been surprisingly effective albeit only in hour and a half shots, LOL.

When I get some jungle or desert stories, I’ll be tempted to head for the Omaha Zoo with my headphones, to sit in their jungle and desert settings, which are just awesome.