• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A dystopian fantasy

By the way, what do you think of the world I envision?

• It sounds good

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Too unoriginal and boring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Okay-ish

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

tnd314_fool

Dreamer
So yea, lemme give you the context about the world. The world is slowly growing more and more aloof, cold, our moral fibres are getting more and more loose, Things which would have been considered hateful at some point are becoming more and more acceptable. But it's not just a natural process over decades, something is driving it forwards. And one day we get the answer when gray fog envelops the entire world and killing at least 75% - 80% of the population in one stroke.

As it turns out, the fog not only killed all of them, it still exists and is making people crazier just by being in it's presence. The one way to deal with it is to hang yourself on certain special 'gallows', the chances of dying are extremely high but if you survive, your mental strength will get a tremendous boost helping you not only fight the 'corruption', increase your basic stats and also give a certain boost in your intelligence, and the other way is to drive away the fog as much as you can from a certain area pushing it somewhere else. This method can only reduce the rate of 'corruption' but can't stop it.

Now that you know that, i would like to know of what measures will the government take, how will the people behave, the logistics of sudden decrease in population, public safety, hygiene, new developments for stability, new job opportunities, the movements of the armed personnel and so on.

Thank you for the help!!

It sounds like Steven King’s The Mist, which is not only an end of the world dystopia but also addresses a deeper topic that is specifically American. If you can create a story that has a dual message then that has the potential to offer some powerful storytelling.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
It sounds like the old AD&D 'Gothic Earth' setting, which had an almost identical setup - minus the gallows bit to resist it. Except the fog was pretty much invisible, being more psychic than ought else.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, if 80% of the world goes all at once, I ain't paying much attention to the government anymore.

I would ask questions about the hanging part, if I have the grit to survive the hanging, did I not have it before? Do I need the hanging to prove it?

People are becoming crazy due to the mist, as you have said, so...I'd probably be growing crazy. For me, I'd have my apocalypse gun, and be wary of other people. Those I wanted to protect, I would put a lot of effort into it.

Anyway... Just like any other apocalypse, I would try to survive. If I could, I'd remove the cause, but it does not sound possible.

BearBear

Archmage
So dark and foreboding. Oh it feels awful, especially having to barely survive death just to slow the rate of corruption. I did’t expect that feeling of desperation, so I love it. Anything that illicits a response like that is great. It helps you irl to appreciate what you have.

BearBear

Archmage
Now that you know that, i would like to know of what measures will the government take, how will the people behave, the logistics of sudden decrease in population, public safety, hygiene, new developments for stability, new job opportunities, the movements of the armed personnel and so on.

Oh you want input on this? I'd imagine the government would quickly break down. Such things require civility and stability and even then it's a very thin delicate shell. Imo

tnd314_fool

Dreamer
It sounds like Steven King’s The Mist, which is not only an end of the world dystopia but also addresses a deeper topic that is specifically American. If you can create a story that has a dual message then that has the potential to offer some powerful storytelling.
I haven't read The Mist yet, but i do plan to read it now, to see if I can get any new ideas

tnd314_fool

Dreamer
So dark and foreboding. Oh it feels awful, especially having to barely survive death just to slow the rate of corruption. I did’t expect that feeling of desperation, so I love it. Anything that illicits a response like that is great. It helps you irl to appreciate what you have.
The carrot and stick technique always works. There'll only be drama if people think they have a chance of survival, snuffing it completely wouldn't be fun, now would it?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
If King likes it, it can't be good, heh heh. That's why The Shining was so good, King didn't like it, heh heh. All right, to be fair, I'm sure King dislikes lots of the movies based on his work since most of them suck.

Man! Do I like picking on Stephen King. It's a vice... like cocaine, which King also knows about...

Damn it! There I go again. Tommyknockers! Damn it... I just can't stop...

If King likes it, it can't be good, heh heh. That's why The Shining was so good, King didn't like it, heh heh. All right, to be fair, I'm sure King dislikes lots of the movies based on his work since most of them suck.

Man! Do I like picking on Stephen King. It's a vice... like cocaine, which King also knows about...

Damn it! There I go again. Tommyknockers! Damn it... I just can't stop...
Genuinely interested to know what you do like??