• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A dystopian fantasy

By the way, what do you think of the world I envision?

• It sounds good

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Too unoriginal and boring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Okay-ish

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
In no particular order:

Tolkien, Martin, Eddings, Abercrombie, Dickens, Conrad, Dostoyevsky, Dante (although I never got around to reading him in Italian... because I suck at learning languages, heh heh), Eco, Tad Williams (some of his work, not all), McCarthy, 1 book by Anne Rice, Friedman, Shelly, Bronte sisters did some nice work. Of course, there are others, but those are the first to mind. In respect to active fantasy authors, Abercrombie and Martin are the two working now... is Martin working?—sorry, had to get in that shot too—that interest me most. Sanderson is okay, but, to be honest, there are very few fiction works that will get me to spend my free time reading instead of writing. Sanderson falls into that category of I can read his work, but I'd rather be writing.

King does character psychology well enough, but his writing is... meh. Of course, I also have a peculiar problem as a reader, I don't get scared by a friggin' book, nor do I get so emotionally entwined that I will cry. Functioning sociopath, maybe? Or a result of being unable to visualize? Who knows. But I am unimpressed by King and he uses too many adverbs... I just HAD to get that shot in.

So yea, lemme give you the context about the world. The world is slowly growing more and more aloof, cold, our moral fibres are getting more and more loose, Things which would have been considered hateful at some point are becoming more and more acceptable. But it's not just a natural process over decades, something is driving it forwards. And one day we get the answer when gray fog envelops the entire world and killing at least 75% - 80% of the population in one stroke.

As it turns out, the fog not only killed all of them, it still exists and is making people crazier just by being in it's presence. The one way to deal with it is to hang yourself on certain special 'gallows', the chances of dying are extremely high but if you survive, your mental strength will get a tremendous boost helping you not only fight the 'corruption', increase your basic stats and also give a certain boost in your intelligence, and the other way is to drive away the fog as much as you can from a certain area pushing it somewhere else. This method can only reduce the rate of 'corruption' but can't stop it.

Now that you know that, i would like to know of what measures will the government take, how will the people behave, the logistics of sudden decrease in population, public safety, hygiene, new developments for stability, new job opportunities, the movements of the armed personnel and so on.

Thank you for the help!!
This sounds like a cool idea. I don’t know if you have read the Timothy Zahn books on the Star Wars universe but there was a similar story where the Noghri planet Honogr was destroyed by a disaster that poisoned the entire planet. New jobs that came about and were “government/empire”-sanctioned were to clean the planet. It turns out that it was really a scheme where the cleaning/purifying work was actually to plant more of the poison-producing plants and ever so slowly expanding the clean lands to keep the people under the thumb of the government

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
So yea, lemme give you the context about the world. The world is slowly growing more and more aloof, cold, our moral fibres are getting more and more loose, Things which would have been considered hateful at some point are becoming more and more acceptable. But it's not just a natural process over decades, something is driving it forwards. And one day we get the answer when gray fog envelops the entire world and killing at least 75% - 80% of the population in one stroke.

As it turns out, the fog not only killed all of them, it still exists and is making people crazier just by being in it's presence. The one way to deal with it is to hang yourself on certain special 'gallows', the chances of dying are extremely high but if you survive, your mental strength will get a tremendous boost helping you not only fight the 'corruption', increase your basic stats and also give a certain boost in your intelligence, and the other way is to drive away the fog as much as you can from a certain area pushing it somewhere else. This method can only reduce the rate of 'corruption' but can't stop it.

Now that you know that, i would like to know of what measures will the government take, how will the people behave, the logistics of sudden decrease in population, public safety, hygiene, new developments for stability, new job opportunities, the movements of the armed personnel and so on.

Thank you for the help!!

Assuming this is the USA on Earth, the President would invoke the Defense Production Act. Everybody who *might* have a solution gets brought together to come up with a method to nullify the fog, and if they come up with an approach, then the relevant industries get geared up. If there is no immediate solution, or if the means they come up with takes decades or longer to enact, then they'd probably go for some sort of 'sanctuary' strategy - using whatever semi-workable measures they have to keep the fog out of designated locations.

Rexenm

Inkling
It puts me in the mind of One-Punch Man. Or Final Fantasy. If you were trying to get your head around the problem. Where the only option is to have some kind of marriage that doesn’t work, or to make people amend their ways to have some justice. To realise the gestalt. Dismal prospects for anything other than making fun of a dastardly situation. It is pretty hard to imagine a grey fog without some steampunk type vision in there anyhow.