• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Novel In Verse

I was telling my friend about one of my latest story ideas and her suggestion was to write it as a novel in verse, as in, a book written entirely in free verse poetry. And I was immediately attracted to the idea, partly because it sounds like a really difficult challenge and I've been eager for one of those, and partly because I'm a sucker for "prosetry" and poetic, flowery, metaphor-laden writing saturated with imagery. I'm constantly writing songs and snippets of poetry in my head but I can never make anything with a cohesive structure.

Also, I think my story idea is very well suited to it.

It's been done before. I can name a couple of YA historical fiction novels that were in free verse poetry.

There's a problem: I suck at poetry.

There's a solution: I won't by the time I'm done with it. Or at least, I won't as much.

Thoughts on this? I kinda want to try it. Has anyone done anything remotely like it, or written poetry at all really?

One thing I've noticed: Poetry tends to seem really intimate and personal for me, way more so than my normal writing. It seems somehow...deeper than other writing. I wonder if the same will hold true in this case...?

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Yes and yes.

I write a lot of poetry.

I read a lot of poetry.

It is a lot more personal, but that is ok.

I say do it.

Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse is a great example of this.

I was telling my friend about one of my latest story ideas and her suggestion was to write it as a novel in verse, as in, a book written entirely in free verse poetry.

Go for it! But ... I don't think it's rightly a novel anymore (IMHO). If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you want to do something akin to the Divine Comedy or Beowulf...? Definitely doable but I suggest (as I would for any experimental form) maybe starting with a short story first, then coming back with richer subplots & later expanding it into long form fiction.

Hi,

Free verse is tricky. But novels like Beowulf were written originally in structured verse - it just doesn't translate well as verse. You could say the same about The Illiad. Likewise if you want to go for metre without sense, The Jabberwocky.

Cheers Greg.

Hi,

Free verse is tricky. But novels like Beowulf were written originally in structured verse - it just doesn't translate well as verse. You could say the same about The Illiad. Likewise if you want to go for metre without sense, The Jabberwocky.

Cheers Greg.

Free verse is easier for me than structure. Even rhyming poems frustrate me to no end.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I love free verse. Way better than paying for the stuff. :p

I do like rhyming, especially the older forms. I like their formality. It's as much about word craft as it is about self expression in those forms. Would never try writing a story that way, though. I leave such undertakings to people with names like Virgil or Homer.

KBA

Dreamer
I think the idea sounds great and you should begin! At the very least, just the challenge will stretch and strengthen and expand your own natural writing ability, so even your regular prose will flow out in a richer style.

I think the idea sounds great and you should begin! At the very least, just the challenge will stretch and strengthen and expand your own natural writing ability, so even your regular prose will flow out in a richer style.

That was the idea. I naturally gravitate toward a poetic style and greatly admire poetic styles when executed well. Also, I think this form of presentation is perfect for the story I'm planning. It's a love story, with very surreal fantasy elements, and incredibly sad. Maybe a bit creepy even.

I was just wondering if anyone here had done anything similar. Does anyone enjoy writing poetry?

Bvboozell

Acolyte
I love writing poetry (Helps with my depression). I've also thought about trying my hand at a novel in verse later on down the road; I even have the beginning possibly worked out when I decide to play with it, but for right now I'm sticking with a more structured novel.