• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Amazon category keywords

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I know about keywords but I didn't know about this: keywords that affect category browsing. You know, when someone just clicks the Science Fiction and Fantasy category, for example. There are a bunch of subcategories. Certain keywords will get your book put in a subcategory as well (most of the time). Here's the link
Science Fiction & Fantasy Keywords | Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing

I notice right away there's no subcategory for historical fantasy, which seems like a big gap. No doubt you'll notice your own. It's not a huge deal, but for the right person whose book is at the zon, it might be nice to know.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm just starting to learn about AMS. Part of my challenge is that alternate historical fantasy is awfully narrow and is dominated by romance themes, which leaves my books rather out in the weeds.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
True: But everything is in generalities. I think a book can be in 9 categories, and you can request the categories you want. I'm sure its preferable they make some sense, but they sure as heck don't always.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I think it's seven, but AMS keywords is a different animal entirely. The KDP categories are pretty limited for my type of story.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Well, AMS is different than the categories also... AMS is the ads system where you can plunk down a thousand words or whatever. Got a witch character? Got a demon? Got an X, Y, Z? LOL. But the number of categories really isn't a huge deal IMO. The main thing is being able to get into the ones you want. Despite using the words prescribed, I had to request sword and sorcery. Huh, go figure.

Main thing I want these days is to swap my UK also boughts over to the US, LOL.