• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Amputated Hand or Amputated Arm?

Now, I've posted about this character before but this a completely different subject.

I'm to describe Kyle, but not sure which way is the correct way to say:
'Lidia stopped suddenly, staring at his amputated hand/arm'

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Now, I've posted about this character before but this a completely different subject. I'm to describe Kyle, but not sure which way is the correct way to say: 'Lidia stopped suddenly, staring at his amputated hand/arm'

First, drop the word "suddenly". Nothing is less sudden than that phrasing.

What reads with greater urgency?

Lidia stopped suddenly, staring at his amputated hand.

Lidia stopped, staring at his amputated hand.

Thanks for 'sudden' tip. I'm actually writing in portuguese so the phrase is different, but the question is the same.

So is amputated hand then? It just seem that Lidia is looking to the 'hand' that was amputated. (and yes, feels the same in portuguese)

Anyway, thanks

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
When I get to a situation like this I try to think if there's another way I can say the same thing but with different words. Maybe something like:
"Lidia stopped and stared, where his hand should have been the arm just ended in a stump."
It carries the same message but it avoids the question of whether it's the arm or the hand that's the correct word for saying what's amputated.

Edit: looks like I forgot to answer the question. Sorry. :(

I'd have gone with the hand being amputated. If the arm is amputated I'd probably see it as it being cut off somewhere between the shoulder and the elbow.

Well, the problem is that I used already a few other ways to describe the amputated hand, so I had to use it directly or became repetitive.

Anyway, thank you all.

Hi,

There's a logial problem - you can't stare at an amputated hand - unless of course she's staring at it as it sits on the surgeon's table after being cut off.

So how about something like: Lidia stopped dead in her tracks, abruptly realising that his hand wasn't there.

Cheers, Greg.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Agreed with psychotick. You could also say "Lidia stopped short, staring at the stump of his arm/wrist."

Dragev

Scribe
I find "maimed/mutilated/mangled arm" would be more appropriate, given Linda's reaction, but for all I know, the cut is clean and the arm is fine.

Addison

Auror
Personally I usually stop and either stare (for a short while) or keep going and to a double-take if a person is missing an entire limb. That's more noticeable to me as there are less ways to lose an arm than there are to lose a hand.
Hand = table saw, radial arm saw, evil dog, turkey carving gone wrong, animal attack, sports accident. Basically a lot of somewhat common scenarios.
Arm = croc hunting gone wrong, any hunting gone wrong, bad camping, hiking, played in traffic. The circumstances for a lost arm, to me, are more surprising and intriguing than losing a hand. They're both equally shocking and painful for the victim but, with my upbringing, you freak at the limb not the extension.

I apologize if this came across as rude.