• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anybody care to share their map?

Thanks! I toyed with various colors for the sea/oceans, but finally settled on something that didn't drown out (no pun intended) the rest of the map. Mapmaking in and of itself can be highly addictive.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
Lyonhead Bay, Nimeria on the world of Niris
(Link provided since my map was far too large for the post)

This is the section of my world taking place in one of my series that I write for my blog. I used Photoshop using instructions I found over at Cartographer's Guild. I have no cities denoted on the map, my ability for that level of detail on this map would just ruin it. However, that website has some amazing tutorials as well as maps the members made for viewing and inspiration.

Telcontar

Staff
Beautiful map, Leif. I've run across the Cartographer's guild, but didn't look around much. I wonder if I can adapt some of their tutorials to GIMP and improve on my efforts.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
@Leif GS Notae: Nice work. I especially like the trees.

@Telcontar: I imagine you can adapt the tutorials, yeah. Some options will likely be in a different place, but I'm sure you can achieve something similar.

I ought to revisit the Cartographers Guild before I start working on my next map.

myrddin173

Maester
@Telcontar Actually there are a number of tutorials already made for Gimp so you won't have to do through to much trouble.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
Beautiful map, Leif. I've run across the Cartographer's guild, but didn't look around much. I wonder if I can adapt some of their tutorials to GIMP and improve on my efforts.

They have plenty of GIMP tuts there, I am sure you could find something worthwhile. Thanks for the compliment, I see areas that can be improved, but it is far better than my first one... heh

Telcontar

Staff
Word. I've improved remarkably at sketching the beginnings of a map - at least, the coastlines. But beyond that I'm still pretty hopeless. GIMP helps cover up some of the lack, but if I ever get a book publisher I'll have to hire a map artist.

RainbowGirl

Scribe
I don't have much artistic talent in this field but I still don't know if I would be able to pass it on to someone else. It would be good if I did I'm sure, I just don't know that I could handle it.

Elishimar

Dreamer
Thanks guys! also I need more practice, so if anyone wants help, I can take there rough drafts and make the same style of map if they want. let me know :]

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
It's bare, but nice. I know it will likely tell me in a tutorial over at the Cartographer's Guild, but any chance you could run through how you did the trees?

myrddin173

Maester
Yah, its just a start but stuff will be filled in eventually. I couldn't hope to explain how I did it, I kept having to flip between GIMP and the internet multiple times for each step...

Here is the tutorial for the map proper, and here is the one for the trees.

Wormtongue

Minstrel
I really need to update my map. It's a hand-drawn piece of paper that I've carted around for nearly twenty years now.

Jabrosky

Banned
the_land_of_noah_by_jabrosky-d4j4cpy.jpg

The continent of Noah crosses three climatic zones: the north is temperate, the middle is arid desert, and the south is tropical. Each of these regions is considered a subcontinent and has been given its own name: the north is Japheth, the middle is Shem, and the south is Kam. White areas with dots are desert, lightly shaded areas with faint streaks are grasslands, and darkly shaded areas are forested.

Noah's human populations are sorted into three races corresponding to the three climatic zones. The Japhethites are white, the Shemites are olive-skinned, and the Kamites are black. The people in all three races live in mostly tribal Copper to Early Bronze Age societies, with no extensive empires and large cities being scarce. As a general rule, Japhethite and Shemite cultures tend to be patriarchal whereas Kamites favor matriarchies in which political and spiritual responsibilities are traditionally vested in women rather than men.