• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone here watch the superbowl?

Are you glad the chiefs won?

• Yes! Go chiefs woo! :D

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Boo! The 49ers should have won! D:<

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't watch sports so...

• But it's not real foot ball! D:

• Didn't care either way

• It was a great game! Didn't matter to me who won, I still enjoyed watching it. :)

• It was just an excuse to pig out on snacks XD

• Other option

• Total voters

MauEvig

Minstrel
My boyfriend and I did, and we enjoyed ourselves!
Granted enjoying sports is kind of a new thing for me, and I realized the reason for doing so is because before I didn't really understand Football all that much. It was kind of one of those games they kept the girls out of, so I felt left out as a principle.
But I'm finding it's a really fun, enjoyable event once you get to understand the game mechanics!
And yes, I'm referring to "American Football" and I'm aware that our "Soccer" which is what Europeans refer to as "Football" does make more sense in principle. But if you look past it, it's a lot of fun to watch.
We rooted for the Kansas City Chiefs and they won! Woo! Though I had to admit one of the reasons I chose that team is because it had a cool mascot. Turns out a lot of my friends and family members were rooting for them too.
What do y'all think? Do you enjoy football? Did you watch the superbowl? Are you new to sports like myself, or watched it? Or is it something that doesn't interest you at all? Feel free to comment.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I watched the highlights [live, it was at something stupid o'clock in the UK]. I didn't really have a favourite team. But it was the 49ers that lost it for me. Any team that gives away 21 points in a quarter, doesn't deserve to win. And everyone seems to think that Andy Reid deserves the victory after such a long career.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
At some point in the last few years, I had a realisation about the enjoyment of watching sports.

Sure, understanding the game, and appreciating the skills of the players, is a part of it, but what I think is even more important are the storylines involved with the game. There's the story of the team and its players. There are the stories of age old rivalries with other teams. There's the current season, and the current match.
It's all stories, except they're not pre-written, but happening live.

It's why there are people who are hardcore fans of the team at the bottom of the league. It doesn't matter (much) that the team isn't doing well, because it has a history and a story, and that creates an emotional connection to the fans.

I believe that watching a game between two teams you don't know, with players you're not familiar with, will be a lot less interesting than watching your own team, even if the skill level of the team is even.

I used to scoff at people who enjoyed watching sports, but I no longer do.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Too Euro for Superbowls, but good to hear you enjoyed one of your first matches. I'm also not deeply into football (non-American variety), but something about the big games, be it the European Cup or the World Cup, always makes it tons more fun to watch. Rooting for the Dutch (or Belgians nowadays) to beat the Germans, Spanish, English and more (In that order :p) wherever the opportunity presents itself is the highlight of any sports year. Hope you continue to enjoy the sportsing.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I watch every super-bowl with my dad. I did not have a dog in the fight (steelers fan, sort of) but i usually root for the AFC team-cept when its the patriots. It was a good game but not one if the best. I would have been just as happy if the 49ers would have won. As it is, i am good with the chiefs. Now go Steelers.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Svrtnsse, I had a professor in grad school who taught sports history (among other things). He was the one who taught me how sports provide a particular lens by which to observe modern society. And stories are a huge part of that.

As for the Superbowl, I fell out of watching professional sports when I cut the cable years ago. Yes, it's enjoyable tracking the stories that evolve over a season, but I discovered how very many hours I was spending doing that. I'm very glad to have those hours now for writing or playing video games or reading. Now I find I have a hard time sitting through even a three-hour game. The incessant commercials make me want to scream, and I just don't have the patience for the length of the game itself (football or baseball). That said, I'm very glad to have watched the 1975 World Series, to have shared in the excitement when John Elway led the Broncos to their first Superbowl, and other such moments. There's nothing quite like it.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I rarely watch sports anymore, not that I ever did a lot of it. I would watch boxing once, mostly because I had boxed myself and had an understanding of what was going on, but I sort of disapprove of it now, because I recognize how dangerous it is to those who participate. Fortunately, I don't seem to have any brain damage myself! I would rather do sports than watch them for the most part.

Although it is not a sport, strictly speaking, I used to enjoy pro wrestling and was involved myself, peripherally. I knew a number of minor-league sorts who worked out at the same gym I did. They've shown up in some of my mainstream writing. Great material!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
It's pure hatred of the Niners...

At some point in the last few years, I had a realisation about the enjoyment of watching sports.

Sure, understanding the game, and appreciating the skills of the players, is a part of it, but what I think is even more important are the storylines involved with the game. There's the story of the team and its players. There are the stories of age old rivalries with other teams. There's the current season, and the current match.
It's all stories, except they're not pre-written, but happening live.

It's why there are people who are hardcore fans of the team at the bottom of the league. It doesn't matter (much) that the team isn't doing well, because it has a history and a story, and that creates an emotional connection to the fans.

I believe that watching a game between two teams you don't know, with players you're not familiar with, will be a lot less interesting than watching your own team, even if the skill level of the team is even.

I used to scoff at people who enjoyed watching sports, but I no longer do.