• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone joining this year?

Tom

Istar
I've made my decision. My username over at NaNo is tenebristpunk, I think. This should be fun! I've been slacking off lately and NaNo will be a chance to get my writing habits back into shape.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, after doing the math last night I determined that I may not win NaNo after all. My work hours are long and even though I have several days off in between there is still a time crunch. My goal is to sit daily. Whatever word count I get is a boon.

Yora

Maester
Alright, let's do this!

Screenshot_20191101_193204.png

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I'm the only one on my writing team who's participating this year, which works since I'm drafting our third book and need the kick in the butt to catch up. I'm A. E. Lowan on the NaNo site if anyone wants to buddy up.

You do all your plotting and outlining in OneNote? I would love to hear more about your process. I use it for quick notes like a name I like or writing down an idea that occurred. But I would be interested to hear how else it can help :)

Firefly

Troubadour
1708 on Saturday, but only 770 on Sunday.
I usually plan not to write at all on Sundays though, so I'm looking at that more like 700 words towards catching up rather than being 900 short.

Tom

Istar
4 days in and it completely slipped my mind to create a project for this year. Oops. Doing that now!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
You do all your plotting and outlining in OneNote? I would love to hear more about your process. I use it for quick notes like a name I like or writing down an idea that occurred. But I would be interested to hear how else it can help :)
We use OneNote for pretty much everything that isn't actual writing. It's wonderful for keeping our series organized and very versatile. You can link articles, pictures, imbed video and graphs, and share files in real time. We love it!

As to process, we are a three-person writing team and we use Word and OneNote to collaborate cross-country in real time. My wife plots, our writing partner is our developmental powerhouse, and I'm the drafter. We have over 500 named series characters for our urban fantasy series The Books of Binding, and OneNote is very helpful in keeping track of them all, as you can tell by the attached pictures. We keep one file per book and one file for the series overview, and it's HUGE but still quite accessible. Yay for searchable apps! It helps to keep us from repeating names and keeps track of character details.

2019-09-19.png
2019-11-04 (1).png

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ugh.

I just finished the protracted five month torture rewrite of 'Empire: Spiral,' book five in my 'Empire' series. (It really, really should have been wrapped up months ago)

That just leaves the rewrite for book six - 'Empire: Judgment.' Originally, I'd intended a seventh book, 'Empire: Exiles,' but the current plan is to fold that in with 'Judgment' - gets a bit too far off 'Empire's' theme, and the critical action is wrapped up,

Anyhow, the rewrite and expansion of 'Judgment' is the writing project for me for the remainder of the year (and probably then some, given past experience.) Don't know if I'll make it a NaNo project or not.

We use OneNote for pretty much everything that isn't actual writing. It's wonderful for keeping our series organized and very versatile. You can link articles, pictures, imbed video and graphs, and share files in real time. We love it!

As to process, we are a three-person writing team and we use Word and OneNote to collaborate cross-country in real time. My wife plots, our writing partner is our developmental powerhouse, and I'm the drafter. We have over 500 named series characters for our urban fantasy series The Books of Binding, and OneNote is very helpful in keeping track of them all, as you can tell by the attached pictures. We keep one file per book and one file for the series overview, and it's HUGE but still quite accessible. Yay for searchable apps! It helps to keep us from repeating names and keeps track of character details.

View attachment 2321
I am in awe. Thanks for that. It looks very impressive and organized. It's a good reminder that I really should start taking more notes as I write. I keep having to check back in earlier writing about the exact name I gave to a person or location...

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
I've pledged to join the next three write-ins at my local library. It's on my Facebook calendar now so I have to do it. :D

This morning, I tried out C. S. Lakin's scene outlining process and found it to be pretty helpful. Still writing at this time so I hope to end the day strong with at least 3k words added. Using a Scene Template to Craft Perfect Scenes

I decided to do #campnanowrimo again this year - going to use the time to get one of my comic scripts into shape. I've also got an editing gig this month so I'm not sure how much time I'll spend on the script - but anythings better than it sitting there in the draft files.

Gospodin

Troubadour
Last year was my first try at NaNo and the WIP I am working on now is the fruit of that attempt.

I did learn, though, that I do not function as a pure pantser. Most of what I'm doing now is undoing the pantsed parts that are shaming. There's a possibility that I engage it again this year, with this same novel, better prepared and with a little planning in the folder when I start. I believe the site refers to such a take as "rebel NaNo".

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Last year was my first try at NaNo and the WIP I am working on now is the fruit of that attempt.

I did learn, though, that I do not function as a pure pantser. Most of what I'm doing now is undoing the pantsed parts that are shaming. There's a possibility that I engage it again this year, with this same novel, better prepared and with a little planning in the folder when I start. I believe the site refers to such a take as "rebel NaNo".
Doing NaNo taught me the value of having a written outline.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Doing NaNo taught me that I suck at NaNo, but I try, anyway. I've discovered I'm a plantser - can't write without a detailed outline, and yet I need wriggle room for a little discovery writing. It's a balance.

Also, I'm always a rebel. I always chew away at our current WIP because we always have projects due during the course of the year and we're ramping up production speed to have more books out in a given year. Rebel for lyfe! :D