• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone writing characters with diverse genders or preferences?

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
I do that, too, and it can be hard to stop and remember that most of the time when someone confides in me, they aren't looking for solidarity or for shared experience or even for a solution to their problem. They just want someone to listen. And man, is that hard, because when presented with a problem my first and strongest impulse is to help by solving it. Apparently this is an autism thing?

Apparantly it is and people rather come to me telling me their problem, if there is something to solve.

I can relate so much to your other paragraphs too. I'm not interested being part of this capitalist and hustler-society we have, where people work 40h+ in a job they often don't even like and look down on people who don't care for this system. So I just do what I like to, if there wasn't this thing called money.

I know that there are a lot of autistics who think that being autistic somehow gives them a pass on rude behavior. It doesn't. We're still people, not the robots or the damaged and broken that we're often seen as. And as people it's our responsibility to learn to navigate society, just on our terms. We have unique skills to offer with these gifts we've been given, and I look forward to seeing how that develops.

It's especially autistic men. I knew someone who thought it's okay to stalk a woman and pretended he didn't understand no, and someone else talking down on me and mansplaining me a lot. Then he mansplained that this actually wasn't the case and I just don't understand.
As soon you are calling them out it's "ableist". Or is it men who thought they found a free pass, who knows lol.

Speaking of Autistic empathy.... Palworld was recently brought up in another game, and I must admit, one of the biggest things that have turned me off of the game is the fact that at the start of the game there's a good chance you'll be taking a wooden stick to just beat the absolute crap out of a cute chicken ball in order to weaken it enough to capture it. Bit much for me personally.
Isn't that the plot of every Pokemon game too? 😂

Queshire

Istar
Yes, haha very funny. We're writers. I shouldn't have to explain the difference in emotional closeness between a fire chicken breathing flames at a flower turtle and a human beating the shit out of a flower turtle with a stick.

I mean lot of autistic people show their empathy very clearly too, neurotypical people just communicate differently. When I try to show empathy I tell them a situation where I felt similar and relate to them, some neurotypical people think that's egocentric, or the best way to connect with people is talking about your interest right away, neurotypical people be like: how about not skipping the smalltalk protocol? xD
I find autistic people to often be the most genuine and empathetic people I come across because there’s simply no muddying the waters with falsities or smothering a conversation with fake kindness.

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
Yes, haha very funny. We're writers. I shouldn't have to explain the difference in emotional closeness between a fire chicken breathing flames at a flower turtle and a human beating the shit out of a flower turtle with a stick.
I think the first is even more wicked, tbh, you train an animal on purpose so it can hurt other animals more efficienctly.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I think the first is even more wicked, tbh, you train an animal on purpose so it can hurt other animals more efficienctly.

I think the point is that one is more cartoony and fake, while the other is more visceral and real, and that this difference is even kind of the point for each game.

Vafnir

Scribe
In my WIPs, I have way more queer characters than I had anticipated. In my first WIP, the main character is intersex identifying as female, her partner is pansexual, one character is either straight, bi or gay, it really depends on what gender the main character's sibling ends up with. There's also an asexual female character among the main cast.
In my second WIPs, pretty much a sequel in a distant future timeline, the main character and her partner reappear. Her partner's best friend is a non-binary character.

There are probably some more, especially in the sequel, but I thought of these right off the top of my head. Since I still haven't read a book with a non-binary character myself, I am not sure how I will handle my non-binary character with regard to pronouns.