• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Apple vs Windows

Apple vs Windows?

• Apple rules!!

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Windows rules!!

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • I have Linux

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've used Apple products a number of times, but I've never purchased or owned an Apple product. They make good stuff; easy to use, very good-looking, very user-friendly (assuming your needs are limited to what they've allowed you to do).

But I don't like their attitude, I didn't like Steve Jobs, I don't like paying way more money for way less control. I don't have any intention to ever buy an Apple product; of course, maybe way in the future they'll change drastically and I'll be willing to buy their stuff, but I'm not holding my breath against that eventuality.

The main reason I use Linux is because I like having control over my computer. The second main reason is that I got fed up with Microsoft and all the crap they pull. It's not perfect; my KDE installations tend to go senile after a while and I have to reinstall. On the bright side, I've already worked out a system to automatically back up all my data and store it in the cloud (or just have it live in the cloud to begin with), so if my computer dies, I lose nothing and can be back up and running in a couple of hours.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Benjamin: My best friend from Madrid is a great fan of Linux too, and he has been trying to convince me to switch to Linux instead of going with Apple. I am surprised to hear how good it is and yet few people know about Linux, maybe I should give it a try =)

@Steerpike: That's right, I am actively looking for good reasons that would lead me to buy or to not buy the iMac. I know that it's not a really powerful machine, it's not perfect and certainly they are not virus-free like some Apple fans claim... I am trying to find a really good reason to not buy the iMac, but so far I have not found any.

I was more worried about compatibility and how it would work for me as a writer, and it seems that it would be acceptable.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The only reason not to buy a Mac is that it costs more and you don't get any extra benefit for the added money. If that doesn't bother you and you want one enough that you don't mind the extra cost, then get it. They're fine. Compatibility won't be much of an issue unless you use some specialized program that is only on another platform.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thanks Steerpike, the higher cost seems to be the only good reason against the iMac...

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Well I like both for different reasons. I used to used both operating systems on a regular basis, and I've found the mac to be smoother experience in doing everyday things. If you ever need to wipe a drive and reinstall OSX, I've found all you have to do is slip in the disk and follow the menu instructions. It's not always that easy with windows.

Macs are like computers with training wheels and child proof locks and a adult standing there telling you not to put your finger in the light socket. Windows gives you all the rope in the world to hang yourself if you mess around without knowing what your doing and you're not careful.

I don't know if this is fact, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. I was told this from a friend who builds computers. The reason OSX runs so smoothly is that it only supports a limited combination of hardware components so it's easy for them to test most of the possible combination to make sure they run well under OSX. Windows on the other hand has to deal with an almost infinite combination of possible hardware combinations so that's why it isn't always a smooth ride or at least not as smooth as a Mac.

Up until a few months ago I was writing on a second hand mac but when it went to the great junk heap in the sky, I couldn't justify the hefty price to buy a new one. But it doesn't matter. Most of my mac programs have an analogue on Windows, and for those that don't, I'm able to run OSX on my PC via a virtual machine.

Which one's better? To me neither. Each one has different things to offer depending on the user and intended use.

There's other reasons not to give money to Apple. If, for example, you don't like what they do with that money, such as file absurd software patent lawsuits against Samsung. ;)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
You have to try to resist the 20% discount for the iMac, Sheila... Try to resist it, do not think of the 20% discount... Do not think of the 20% discount... What am I going to do?!!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I have given Apple its second vote in this thread, because now I am using Mac OS X Lion and I keep liking it even more with every day that passes... I am very happy with this change =)

Amanita

Maester
So you did buy the Apple one. :)
Don't worry about other people's opinions, I don't think buying computers needs to be turned into politics. I also doubt that there are large differences in the ethical behavior of both companies or their leaders.
I'm using a Windows computer simply because this was our first operating system and I'm used to it. And because it was cheaper too. ;)