• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Windows 8 Start Menu

JCFarnham

Auror
Actually, I like what google's doing in the sync/cloud department. Google Drive might save me a ton of hassle if decide to start use it as my native writing tool instead of MS Word, simply because I can access my files from anywhere and there's no threat of losing the data. I've had flash drives fail on me before, causing me to lose entire manuscripts, which is why I'm now OCD about backing up my work to Google Drive anyway.

The Cloud is a fantastic concept, I'll admit.

I was more raging again the kind of software that updates things based on other stuff in order to do that, or this, or whatever else. I like my software to stay insular unless I tell it otherwise. I'm private like that.

Syncing was probably the wrong word to use.

Mindfire

Istar
The Cloud is a fantastic concept, I'll admit.

I was more raging again the kind of software that updates things based on other stuff in order to do that, or this, or whatever else. I like my software to stay insular unless I tell it otherwise. I'm private like that.

Syncing was probably the wrong word to use.

Ohhh. Now I get what you mean. The new ideology of linking absolutely everything together in one large conglomerate online account. Yeah, sometimes that's helpful, other times it's not. It's really not. Every other time I log on to youtube I get a message encouraging me to display my full name on my account instead of my username. Why would I want to do that? Why would anyone want to do that? If that's the kind of thing you're raging against, I feel you 100%.

JCFarnham

Auror
Ohhh. Now I get what you mean. The new ideology of linking absolutely everything together in one large conglomerate online account. Yeah, sometimes that's helpful, other times it's not. It's really not. Every other time I log on to youtube I get a message encouraging me to display my full name on my account instead of my username. Why would I want to do that? Why would anyone want to do that? If that's the kind of thing you're raging against, I feel you 100%.

That's the thing entirely.

No doubt because I have recently made a new gmail account I'll be linked into google plus. While I'm sure it's a great tool if you get used to it, I just wanted the email account and that's what I'll use it for.

Apple products are like this for me. They monopolise their customers. You have to get such and such is you have this, or the worse. Oh it's broken? Well, we made it so it can't be opened up and fixed, so you'll have to buy a new one... It's a bit of an annoyance shall we say haha

That's enough derailing :p

So if Microsoft is trying to move in on this market then all the world is mad. At least you can still hand a pc to someone and get it fixed or altered.

Being able to get at your data from any device, anywhere, is a great goal, and we're partway there. Eventually it'll settle down into standard protocols and formats, and it'll just be the way everyone does everything all the time. Ideally you'll be able to choose which services you use for which particular tasks, so that you don't have to have everything reliant on a single company.

That said, Google does a pretty good job with its services. :)

yachtcaptcolby

Minstrel
The cloud is no different from any other technology: it's great when it works, and people hate it when it doesn't. In general, I prefer applications and services that do one specific thing and do it well to products that try to do everything but do it in a half-assed manner. I'm looking at you, pretty-much-every-Microsoft-product-in-existence. Except the Xbox. I love the Xbox.

In regard to YouTube and the whole displaying-your-real-name thing, I believe it's aimed at reducing online bullying. People are more likely to be jerks when they've got a screen name to hide behind. There's a lot of talk about that sort of thing in various corners of the Internet.