• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

April's Nano camp

C

Chessie

I didn't get anyone I asked for! What a bummer. :( Oh, well. Maybe I'll make some new friends. Hopefully some of you will be checking in on here, too?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
yeah, people really need to request each other. I got Phil and Cicca in a cabin with me. The thing is, you may ask to leave your cabin if no one's talking or writing and request a new one. Keep that in mind. one year i switched twice because people were just sitting at zero doing nothing.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
maybe we could post some quick ideas to get the cabin motivated and inspired? Here are some of mine: I like to post a quote a day so people can see what I'm doing. Just something small, 30 words or less. hope that inspires you to have fun in your cabin.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, I wouldn't mind posting a quote or something. I might not be able to do it every day since I'm starting back work soon, but I am going to work on it everyday. Since I"m only editing and not writing any thing new, it shouldn't be too tough. I guess I'm going to do a word count based on how much I edit? Not sure how that's going to work.

I'll probably continue to post my progress on the Writers' Work thread here, since I've been doing something like that since February. So I'll think of something different I can do for the cabin. Usually just any kind of update is good.

And yes, I don't like it when I get in cabins with people who are just sitting at zero the whole time. Kind of defeats the purpose of being in a cabin.

Smith

Minstrel
I didn't get anyone I asked for, either, and no one in my timezone, but hopefully they'll at least be active, and a couple of them seem to be writing in genres I like. Meanwhile I have no idea what I'm writing and April draws dizzyingly close.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
well for nano members, we can scan each other's profiles and books to see each other's history and current WIPs. We can keep up with our fellow scribes even if they're in other cabins.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Had requested you guys; didn't get anyone :( I'll try to post bits of what I'm working on, but I'm not sure whether I can do it once a day. I'm also considering a small donation.

Smith

Minstrel
So what is everyone working on this camp? Does everyone have a synopsis up?

This is me, it's my WIP from November, but I may or may not be working on something else instead, as just thinking about The Flenser switches off my brain.

ETA: Does anyone mind if I compile a list of us all with links to our Camp NaNo pages, so everyone can keep up-to-date with each other more easily, if we so choose?

Last edited:
C

Chessie

I opted out of my cabin. I requested the folks on here again, hopefully this time we'll get it. :)

I'm still not sure what I will be doing. I might split it up and do two projects.

Aspasia

Sage
So excited for NaNo. I'm silicon over there :D. I got put in a random cabin but I'm okay with that, I'm not a big talker and will likely get super busy halfway through. I know what projects I'm doing and still working on the planning -- I've run into a really nasty knot that unfortunately needs to also be my ending ... stuck! Hopefully I can figure it out before NaNo starts. I'm doing to projects : A parody play for fun, and a novella currently titled Airship Pirates, though I've written out the pirates so it's an inaccurate title ... full of action and mage battles and running from the law and plot holes apparently XD. It'll be fun. I hope I can write at least 25k words. Here I am! Looking forward to seeing you all around.

Smith

Minstrel
My new cabin is full of German people! That's closer to GMT, and I love the language so maybe it will be good practice. It's also a little bit of a sign, I suspect, because there's a slightly Norse feeling coming from my new story idea, so maybe I can use the language as inspiration.

And I'm going to put everyone's names and pages here, for my own use more than anything, so I can spy on you all. ;)

Smith: Erdboden
SM-Dreamer: SM-Dreamer
Aspasia: silicon

If anyone sees me online here and wants to talk, rant or brainstorm at someone during April (or any time), feel free.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
My cabin seems to be full of those with similar word counts (30000); most of them seem to be, er, teens to ya, though there's one or two older. Genre seems to be ranging from fantasy to ya. I posted, but no one seems to be talking...

Ophiucha

Auror
I'm Ophiucha on the website. I'm just doing a random camp. :) Low word count for this one, since I'm just sort of doing a rough first draft to work out some plot details.

Smith

Minstrel
Ophiucha, I may or may not have loved your synopsis, gone through all your posts about your story on your tumblr, and fallen a little bit (a lot) in love with it. I love the premise, the characters, and the world sounds brilliant. I really want to know more, so I hope you get what you need out of camp and it starts to take shape.

Ophiucha

Auror
Thank you! <3 Is your setting based on Italy, at all? I notice a lot of the words and names are Italian. It sounds like a good story, and if it's got a bit of Italy in it, I'd probably love it.

So, everyone: how much writing have you done between November and April? I've been bad this year, and only really finished up my NaNo (35k words or so) and done some editing on it. I've gotten caught up in reading this year and playing Mass Effect.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I managed to complete NaNo last year, but haven't written much since. Maybe 10k at most since November. Haven't edited, partly because I'm afraid that I'll get caught up in that and won't get the actual writing done.

Finally managed a synopsis, though it started out as a joke. >.>; Not sure I'll keep it though, lol.

C

Chessie

I've continued writing, though I've had to miss a couple days here and there. I managed to finish 2 novellas and one short story since then, so I say not too shabby!