• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

April's Nano camp

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So, everyone: how much writing have you done between November and April? I've been bad this year, and only really finished up my NaNo (35k words or so) and done some editing on it. I've gotten caught up in reading this year and playing Mass Effect.

Hmm...I can't say for sure, but I've written dozens of short stories I think and I finished the first draft of a novel (currently sitting at 140,000 words). I've been pretty steady since November, but I always feel like I should have done more. I guess that's my constant feeling though. NaNo will be used to edit the current novel. Should be fun!

Smith

Minstrel
Thank you! <3 Is your setting based on Italy, at all? I notice a lot of the words and names are Italian. It sounds like a good story, and if it's got a bit of Italy in it, I'd probably love it.

So, everyone: how much writing have you done between November and April? I've been bad this year, and only really finished up my NaNo (35k words or so) and done some editing on it. I've gotten caught up in reading this year and playing Mass Effect.

My setting is heavily influenced by Italy and the wider Mediterranean. I spent several vacations in Greece as a kid, and once in the north of Italy, so the landscape is fairly ingrained in my mind, but I've long been obsessed with Florence and Tuscany since I developed an interest in Renaissance art as a teenager. The capital city is very much inspired by Venice, though there are two North African medina quarters, and other parts of the Empire are inspired by Chile, Istanbul, parts of Tunisia and Morocco. That's the physical features, at least, the culture is a bit more difficult to describe. I'd love to hear more about your world and story, if you ever need anyone to rant at!

As for your question, most of my time since NaNo has been spent picking at my novel, changing scenes, editing, trying to figure out where to go next, and character building, then turning away in disgust and vowing never to look at it again, only to return a few days later. I don't feel like I've made much progress at all, but I haven't been inspired to write anything else, either. I'm hoping Camp will kickstart some solid work that might lead me toward the finish line of getting down the basic plot.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
sounds similar to my setting in the novel I'm finishing up. My main city is almost identical to Venice of 1576 and my society is a little different (having two religions struggle for power and having less overall land area to actual historical Venice.

Fun. I'm glad to see other writers enjoy the same things I do.

Smith

Minstrel
I knew we had similar tastes in that part of history from the way you talked about Assassin's Creed II in that one thread! Is there somewhere I can learn more about your novel? Is it what you're working on for April or are you doing something else?

KC Trae Becker

Troubadour
I've been meaning to sign up again, but never got around to it. You all reminded me how exciting NaNo can be. I'm signed in now (as KCBeck). I've set my word count goal low due to my school workload, but every word I can squeeze out is a step in the right direction.

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I am actually completing this novel and it's about ready to send to an agent. I am working on a fantasy novel called Warrior's Heart for April's nano, but if you are interested in beta reading, PM me and I'll email you the novel.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I am just not having luck with my cabins. Opted out of the first to try and get in with those still needing a cabin here. Still didn't get with anyone I wanted. And my cabinmates have been dropping like flies, and no one's posting. *sigh*

On a brighter note, first day! I met my quota, so I'm happy for now.

I only got about 800 words for Day 1. Most of that was planning scenes and listing my characters. On the plus side, My novel idea looks more like a book now. All the plot points are becoming more related to each other.

I'm not in a cabin yet, so You can add me, or however that works. I'll try to write everyday, even if I don't make 1600 everyday.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
if you want to share a cabin, you need to request each other and then you need to leave all other fields blank. DO NOT check the boxes for genre or age or word count goals. That will throw off your cabinmates.

Okay, good start, everyone. This is a great place to post progress for those of us who either didn't opt for a cabin or aren't having much luck. We can keep up the motivation here so all us scribes succeed!

Okay, today isn't over for me. Right now I'm struggling with the first scene of my novel. It opens with a girl and boy lying in a hay loft. The girl tells the boy a story about a young woman who was attacked by trolls and rumors of her disfigurement abounded. Her father's knights (who all wanted to marry her when she was beautiful) no longer wanted her hand in marriage. But one stepped up and said even if she was scarred, she was still honorable, kind and gentle. He said he'd be happy to marry her. SO she unveils herself and isn't disfigured, but has a small scar. He asks her to marry him and she agrees. When he later asks why she didn't tell the truth about her injury, she replies, "I wanted the truth."

Okay, I know that was long. The story isn't many more words than that explanation. My dilemma is... IS IT INTERESTING AT ALL? Because I'm leaning toward no, but it's sort of their relationship, stories. That's a theme that follows these characters throughout the book. But, after the story is finished, the boy didn't love the story and the two teens talk about how lucky they are to be commoners, not bound by duty to marry for wealth. Okay, literally, the conversation is two lines. After that, the boy is going to leave because he has work early in the morning. Then the night ends with the girl going to sleep and the chapter continues the next morning when she finds her step-mother debilitated by an illness, on the floor.

Is this just the lamest way to begin a novel? I'm trying to follow the advice I give to everyone else. TAKE IT DOWN TO THE SCENE GOALS. Okay, so my goal is to set up their relationship firstly, and to show their relationship through stories second. However...does that goal actually make any sort of impact on the reader? I'm still trying to figure that out. Okay...nano, I will beat you.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Yeah, only box checked each time was the "Request specific campers by username " box. At this point I just want a cabin with people who aren't dropping like flies or filled with "Hobbies: Hating school"

I like the little story, so I found it interesting; but then again, I like stories within stories, so... But does that story she told have anything to do with later events? Other than introducing the story-telling, I mean.

And... I'm at 1038 words. May add more before going to bed, may not.

Aspasia

Sage
I'm having a lot of trouble, the words just aren't flowing nicely :( . I haven't written in so long, it seems I have gotten horribly rusty. Trying not to re-read ... the only way to get past this is to keep writing! I did 1k yesterday though, pretty proud of that since I had a full day of class starting at 7am! I was NOT awake in the evening haha. My goal is 25k, so 1k a day is a nice doable goal. If only I can get past the beginning! Hopefully after this first week it will get easier ...

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Was bad and procrastinated on my homework all week, spent the past couple of days playing catch up. Managed to get that done and all caught up on my writing. So I'm back on track now.

Too bad you are not in the cabin I'm in Dreamer.
It's very active. I got lucky this time around and got in with some awesome peeps.
There are a few who've done nothing and said nothing, but only a few thankfully.
Nano 2012 no one said anything in my cabin the whole month. I feel your pain. (HUGS)

C

Chessie

I have totally sucked at Camp NaNo this year. I have written but I forgot to put the amount of words in. Yikes. But its a new day and I'll be giving it my all. How's it going for everyone else? My story has suddenly morphed into something darker and well, more interesting. :)

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
I think my writing wants to go darker, which fits most of the short stories that I've done, but doesn't fit the character that I'm writing in my NaNo story. I have to keep reminding myself of his perspective, lol

That being said, I was doing great with NaNo, then my inspiration took a 180 to a different story. Good news: I met the word quota and finished the short story. Bad news: It's no Camp NaNo, so it doesn't count.

BS SM-Dreamer!

ALL Writing I do this month is going toward my count. Cheating and cutting corners is totally in the spirit of NaNoWriMo. At least in my mind.

Smith

Minstrel
I started a new story this month, a portal fantasy about a young mother and her father who get stolen away to the same fantasy world, fifteen years apart, but I started hating it pretty quickly. I liked the idea and the characters, but it just wasn't working. I don't know why. It totally drained my creativity and energy and I dreaded having to work on it. So now I'm back to working on my November novel. It definitely needs those 22Kish words. This one poor character has been dreading my renewed attentions.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Been writing in bursts and sprints between homework and work. I'm at ~18K right now, goal is 30K. Can I write the remaining in time? I'm damn well going to try!