• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

ASTERISK ASSESSMENTS SET 1

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I read a lot - a book a day, or close to it, almost all of it on Kindle these days, tending towards Indie fantasy/SF books. Lately, I have taken to posting basic reviews of some of these books on Facebook.

Criteria (More or Less) -

First, I had to have actually finished the book in question.

Second, the main focus is on books that don't have a huge number of reviews - more than a few hundred and I'll usually, though not always pass.

Third, if I can't remember most of the book after looking over the blurb and maybe reading a sample, I'll pass.

Fourth, it can't be the second or third or fourth book in a series. A related book set in the same world, maybe.

What follows is a selection from the first thirty or so of these reviews, along with the relevant links.

-0-0-0-0-

ASTERISK ASSESSEMENTS

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

BOOK OF ZOG

ALEC HUTSON

CHARACTERS: * * * * *

The MC is literally a Lovecraftian abomination…with a sense of ethics. Several other characters also have unique backgrounds.

SETTING: * * * *

Part of the story takes place in the depths of space. Most of it happens on a fantasy world with emerging civilizations.

PLOT: * * * *

The MC attempts to understand his nature and create a place for himself, a process that takes hundreds if not thousands of years. Ultimately, the MC and his allies defend the planet from other Lovecraftian interlopers.

QUALITY: * * *

The time skips were a bit disconcerting, and some characters received superficial attention.

OVERALL: * * * *

-0-0-0-0-

ASTERISK ASSESSMENTS

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

THE CRIPPLED KING

Book 1 of the Dwarves of Ice-Cloak

TRAE MCMAKEN

The MC is a bitter dwarf prospector who becomes a leader. The other characters – all dwarves – have interesting and credible motivations.

Isolated Dwarf settlements with rigid social structures and mines set in a cold, rugged mountain range.

PLOT: * * *

Part social revolution, part building a new dwarf city.

QUALITY: * * * *

-0-0-0-0-

ASTERISK ASSESSMENTS

LIES & LABYRINTHS

NV OZMUS

The MC is a girl skilled at lying who tricks others into falsely believing she has magic.

SETTING: * * *

A magical academy.

Complex, dealing with the MC’s internal conflicts, her deceptions, and dark secrets that threaten the academy and much else.

-0-0-0-0-

ASTERISK ASSESSMENTS

THE MAN WITHOUT HANDS

Book 1 of Suleniar’s Enigma

ERIC MALIKYTE

Both MC’s have credible personalities and motivations.

The action is split between Earth and a hidden city on an alien world threatened by nearly invincible eldritch monsters.

Complex. Focused ‘the cost of hiding,’ with plenty of intrigue and the consequences of poor choices.

QUALITY: * * * * *

OVERALL: * * * * *

-0-0-0-0-

ASTERISK ASSESSMENTS

MIDNIGHT ON THE MANATEE

DH WILLISON

The MC’s are ordinary fantasy world people – not all of them human - with credible motivations and personalities.

SETTING: * * *

A fragmented coastal fantasy realm of isolated settlements separated by a landscape dominated by hostile creatures.

A desire to escape constrained lives leads to a terrifying voyage on a sinister ship.

OVERALL: * * *

-0-0-0-0-

ASTERISK ASSESSMENTS

AN OCEAN OF OTHERS

Book 1 of Dance of the Sibling Suns

JOSHUA SCOTT EDWARDS

CHARACTERS: * * *

The MC is a ‘stock fantasy bounty hunter/investigator.’ His companions are distinct, but also fairly standard.

Decaying fantasy city recently decimated by a riot and partly overseen by a militant ‘Agency.’

PLOT: * * *

Investigative, with assorted lethal twists and turns.

Interesting, moved at a good pace.

-0-0-0-0-

ASTERISK ASSESSMENTS

OGYGIA: ECHATOS DIAGRAM

MONTY ST JOHN

CHARACTERS: * * * *

The MC is a skilled computer programmer subject to bizarre dreams or visions. Both he and the more important secondary characters are well developed.

Most of the book is set in the western United States. The ‘visions’ or ‘flashes’ that afflict the MC take place on fantasy worlds.

Complex. A routine programming job taken by the MC reveals the true nature of his ‘flashes’ and himself.