• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Go Set a Watchman

Incanus

Auror
Anyone here plan on reading this when it comes out next week?

I’d say this is a pretty significant literary event. While I’m not a fan of the concept ‘the great American novel’, if there is a book that deserves such an appellation, it would probably have to be To Kill a Mockingbird. I think Harper Lee is well deserving of all the accolades she has received over the years.

Don’t know when I’ll get to this one, as my reading list is overwhelming. Sooner or later. It makes me happy just knowing it’ll be out there when I’m ready.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I love To Kill a Mockingbird. One of my favorite stories, and I read it as a kid and bought it again recently, but it's in a box, so i haven't re-read it. Thanks for sharing this, I might have to check it out.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I feel kind of bad for Harper Lee. The book was written well before TKAM, and from what I've read isn't as skillful. She never wanted the book published throughout most of her life, and now when she is old and, I believe, suffering from mental infirmities, suddenly her relations announce that she wants it published? I don't buy that. I think it was an old draft of the story that initially ended up set further back in time and became TKAM. It's not accurate to TKAM because of that - she took the story, moved it back in time and changed the POV character to Scout for her classic novel. I'm not convinced at all that Lee herself wanted this book published, and I don't intend to buy it.

Reaver

Staff
I'm in agreement with Steerpike. I believe that Ms. Lee made it very clear that she only ever wanted to publish that one story and let that be the end of it.

This reminds me of a cash grab being made by her relatives just like Christopher Tolkien publishing many of his father's rough drafts and notes.

JRRT made his feelings about showing off any of his rough drafts very clear by saying: 'We must be satisfied with the soup that is set before us, and not desire to see the bones of the ox out of which it has been boiled.'

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm in agreement with Steerpike. I believe that Ms. Lee made it very clear that she only ever wanted to publish that one story and let that be the end of it.

This reminds me of a cash grab being made by her relatives just like Christopher Tolkien publishing many of his father's rough drafts and notes.

JRRT made his feelings about showing off any of his rough drafts very clear by saying: 'We must be satisfied with the soup that is set before us, and not desire to see the bones of the ox out of which it has been boiled.'

I think what Christopher Tolkien did was different in that Tolkien notes and rough drafts weren't presented as "newly found famous author's novel published for the first time!" They were thoughtfully presented as a work of literary scholarship and in such a way that NO ONE could mistake it for a new or different story from what was already published. As a scholar of Old English literature himself, I think Tolkien could appreciate that. Though I'm sure he would have been skeptical of the value of literary scholarship of his own work, his fans would just have to disagree with him. I've never learned so much about storytelling as I have from studying the long process of the creation of the Middle-earth legendarium.

Reaver

Staff
I think what Christopher Tolkien did was different in that Tolkien notes and rough drafts weren't presented as "newly found famous author's novel published for the first time!" They were thoughtfully presented as a work of literary scholarship and in such a way that NO ONE could mistake it for a new or different story from what was already published. As a scholar of Old English literature himself, I think Tolkien could appreciate that. Though I'm sure he would have been skeptical of the value of literary scholarship of his own work, his fans would just have to disagree with him. I've never learned so much about storytelling as I have from studying the long process of the creation of the Middle-earth legendarium.

You make a good point. However, my opinion is that both works are nothing more than a shameless cash grab devoid of any good intentions toward their respective authors and their fans.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a mind reader and I won't presume to know what these people were thinking. Having said that, my opinion stands firm.

kennyc

Inkling
You make a good point. However, my opinion is that both works are nothing more than a shameless cash grab devoid of any good intentions toward their respective authors and their fans.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not a mind reader and I won't presume to know what these people were thinking. Having said that, my opinion stands firm.

Yep agreed. I think Go Kill a Watchman was the novel she had to write in order to get to her real material - To Kill a Mockingbird.
(even TKAM was extensively re-written with input from the editor over a period of two years)

I have no plans to read it, but the feeding frenzy is fun to watch.

Incanus

Auror

I'm not buying this as far as Christopher Tolkien goes. If it was a shameless cash-grab he was after, wouldn't he have created some cheap, dumbed-down LOTR-like stories, pure entertainment (more like Peter Jackson)? HOME is a highly detailed scholarly work that couldn't possibly interest huge amounts of people. There is simply no other person qualified to present us with this lovely, behind-the-scenes material. Also, fans were clamoring for this stuff, why not give it to them?

As far as Go Set a Watchman, the motives brought up here seem speculative. Yes, it won't fit squarely with TKAM, and almost certainly won't be as good--as I've seen stated a hundred times, everyone's first novel is crap. I'm interested in the creative process and I'd very much like to take a peek at a little bit of a wonderful author's development.

Incanus

Auror
Not trying to second guess anyone, or put words in peoples mouths, but--does my interest in wanting to learn more about the creative development of a talented writer make me a questionable, or bad person? At least in this one instance?

Mythopoet

Auror
Not trying to second guess anyone, or put words in peoples mouths, but--does my interest in wanting to learn more about the creative development of a talented writer make me a questionable, or bad person? At least in this one instance?

No, of course not. It's clearly Ms. Lee's lawyers and publisher who are acting questionable in this situation.

Reaver

Staff
I'm not buying this as far as Christopher Tolkien goes. If it was a shameless cash-grab he was after, wouldn't he have created some cheap, dumbed-down LOTR-like stories, pure entertainment (more like Peter Jackson)?

Well, chiefly because Christopher Tolkien is an editor, not a writer and he's a greedy old coot. Can't blame him though. I'd do the same. To his credit, he has protected his father's legacy pretty well. To that end, I doubt that he's willing to let other writers sully the mythos that his father created (beyond Petey Jackson and his sycophants). Again, I'd do the same were I in that position.

Truth be told, I respect him more than Brian Herbert, who in my opinion is shamelessly riding on his father's coattails, writing crap novels and slapping his father's name on it just to make a quick buck.

Not at all. I can certainly see why true fans of Tolkien want to take a peek into the mind of the man who single-handedly redefined the genre. However, I do question the motives of Christopher Tolkien and the vultures circling Ms. Lee.

**LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed here by Reaver are solely his own and do not reflect those of Mythic Scribes, its creators or anyone else here at Mythic Scribes.** :D

Last edited:

Mythopoet

Auror
Well, chiefly because Christopher Tolkien is an editor, not a writer and he's a greedy old coot. Can't blame him though. I'd do the same. To his credit, he has protected his father's legacy pretty well. To that end, I doubt that he's willing to let other writers sully the mythos that his father created (beyond Petey Jackson and his sycophants). Again, I'd do the same were I in that position.

Truth be told, I respect him more than Brian Herbert, who in my opinion is shamelessly riding on his father's coattails, writing crap novels and slapping his father's name on it just to make a quick buck.

Not at all. I can certainly see why true fans of Tolkien want to take a peek into the mind of the man who single-handedly redefined the genre. However, I do question the motives of Christopher Tolkien and the vultures circling Ms. Lee.

**LEGAL NOTICE: The views and opinions expressed here by Reaver are solely his own and do not reflect those of Mythic Scribes, it's creators or anyone else here at Mythic Scribes.** :D

Nothing has ever given me the impression that Christopher Tolkien is a "greedy old coot". I question where you have gotten this impression from. Rather, it is clear to me that Christopher was incredibly close to his father and knew better than anyone else what his father's wishes for his work were, hence why he was given control over the estate. Everything that Christopher has had published has been done in an incredibly thoughtful and professional manner. I see nothing to indicate greed.

I agree with you about Brian Herbert though. I once read a couple of his "House" books and have since boycotted anything with his name on it, despite the Dune series being one of my all time favorites. Talk about sullying a legacy. Brian Herbert could give master classes on it.

Reaver

Staff
Nothing has ever given me the impression that Christopher Tolkien is a "greedy old coot". I question where you have gotten this impression from.

I'm sure that the mountains of cash that he and the Tolkien family has made from selling all the stuff he's published to his father's ravenous fans has in no way influenced his decision making. :D

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm sure that the mountains of cash that he and the Tolkien family has made from selling all the stuff he's published to his father's ravenous fans has in no way influenced his decision making. :D

So because publishing his father's writings makes money, that must obviously the reason he did it. For the money. Not to fulfill his father's dreams or in response to a growing fanbase clamoring for more or even to satisfy his own scholarly urges. It must be the money. Right.

Mythopoet

Auror
Just my opinion. Never said it was a fact. Thanks for participating.

Well, it's just my opinion that it is very low behavior to characterize a human being as a "greedy old coot" based on NOTHING other than your own assumption that it MUST be about the money and then justify it with a lazy excuse like "just my opinion". Honestly.

Reaver

Staff
Free speech and being able to express ourselves is an important part of being a member here at Mythic Scribes. You've expressed your opinion that my behavior is low and that I'm lazy.

I just want it to be clear that I'm not offended by this. In fact, I find it quite refreshing and bordering on cathartic.

Obviously you feel very strongly about this and I apologize if I've offended you.

Thanks again for participating in this thread and exercising your ability to express your opinion.

:penguin:

Last edited:

Incanus

Auror
Christopher Tolkien is awesome. I would trust no one else with the task. He obviously put in a TON of work and thought into presenting us with this stuff. Not sure how filthy rich he might be, but he should certainly be compensated for the work he did. Makes sense. In a totaly different class than Brian Herbert. One is shameless, one is not.