• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Author vs. Writer

Oh jeez. I can't remember what the conversation was about. This was such a long time ago. she's probably forgotten the whole conversation. come to think of it, I can't exactly recall with whom I had the conversation...

And yet, here you are still thinking about it - a lesson for all of us to remember when we want to say something snarky or condescending. This goes to show just how potent words can be. People need to stop criticizing one another. If she thought "writer" was a more appropriate term surely she could have found a better way to express it.

But I guess that's why you're the writer/author and she isn't.

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
I would never correct someone on this, but I do believe as others have written.
Writer anyone who writes. Author anyone who has made their works public. Even if free to the public.
Money only means professional. That is a person that posts a finished work on public media would be an author.
Anyone that makes a dime profit from their written work, would be a professional author.

I don't call myself an author, even though I have posted prose on my Deviantart website. But technically I believe I am.
Because you technically publish when you upload to a website, so that would make you a published author.