• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Avoiding Jedi

Gurkhal

Auror
As mentioned skip the lightsabres and probably the Force as well. You can have something inspired by the Force but if you do a straight copy of Star Wars concepts I think that you could come into serious problems, if you're aming to get published.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Make your story anyway you want and don't let outside opinions influence what you write.
I agree with this. My muscular barbarian girl is a bit like GRRM's Brienne, though I actually created her without thinking of Brienne… as far as I know. GOT season 2 had already happened when I created her in summer 2012, but I didn't read a book with Brienne until summer 2013.

That doesn't stop me from using my character though. It's not as if GRRM has a monopoly on tall, strong women who fight well.

You wouldn't believe how many ideas Legendary Sidekick stole from me. (You know what I'm talking about.)
My entertainment lawyer says I don't know what you're talking about. But if, hypothetically, you're referring to 50 Hues of Lightsaber, we both just need to get over that. The Jedi-themed fanfic romance could have made me rich beyond my second-wildest dream–and if it did, I'd have named you on the "thanks page" right after the epilogue–but that ship has sailed. Into hyperspace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mindfire

Istar
If you want to use something like The Force in all its mysterious, ethereal glory I say go for it. Lucas f**ked that whole wondrous thing up with midichlorians. Only a giant piece of bantha poodoo can take something so fantastic and cool and then cheapen it by saying that there's nothing fantastic and mysterious about it at all.

That's... not quite accurate. The film never said the midichlorians create the Force or that they are the Force. Just that they multiply in Force-sensitive beings and help communicate the will of the Force. Honestly, the only reason they exist is so the the movie can attach a number value to how much potential Anakin has. It's like power levels in Dragonball Z. It doesn't really mean anything. (Incoming Headcanon) Furthermore, given the decadence and complacency of the Jedi Order at the time, it wouldn't surprise me if the whole midichlorian theory was completely off base. In fact, in-universe Jedi science may have debunked it as early as Episode Two, because midichlorians are never mentioned in the canon films or shows ever again.

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
My entertainment lawyer says I don't know what you're talking about. But if, hypothetically, you're referring to 50 Hues of Lightsaber, we both just need to get over that. The Jedi-themed fanfic romance could have made me rich beyond my second-wildest dream—and if it did, I'd have named you on the "thanks page" right after the epilogue—but that ship has sailed. Into hyperspace.

Well, to be honest, I stole your Harry Potter fanfic idea where Dumbledore comes out in front of everyone at Hogwarts, tenders his resignation and opens up a B&B in Vermont with Gandalf. Shall we just let bygones be bygones?

Reaver

Staff
In fact, in-universe Jedi science may have debunked it as early as Episode Two, because midichlorians are never mentioned in the canon films or shows ever again.

You're right, they're never mentioned again. In fact, the story gets more and more ridiculous and cartoonish until this awesome, climactic scene:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mindfire

Istar
You're right, they're never mentioned again. In fact, the story gets more and more ridiculous and cartoonish until this awesome, climactic scene:

That moment was over the top, but I stand by the fact that everything that preceded it was completely awesome. Minus the romance scenes, but I'm not a romance guy.

And really, if you think Star Wars only started getting corny with the prequels, you're kidding yourself.

Mindfire

Istar
The guy who made the Star Wars universe also made Jar-Jar. And the genius behind The Land Before Time also created A Troll in Central Park. Your point?

Reaver

Staff
That moment was over the top, but I stand by the fact that everything that preceded it was completely awesome. Minus the romance scenes, but I'm not a romance guy.

And really, if you think Star Wars only started getting corny with the prequels, you're kidding yourself.

Episodes 4, 5 and 6 may have a few cheesy parts, but nothing outright ridiculous. Thankfully the animated shows have atoned for the Sins of Lucas. The reason they're so good is that he didn't write or direct any of them.

Reaver

Staff
star_wars.jpg

OOPS.

Reaver

Staff
Oooh! I can!

Poopee, Krappee, Sh' tee, and Bob.

Doesn't change the fact that they were cannon fodder. Did you know that the word "ewok" is never mentioned in RotJ?

Last edited:

Tom

Istar
In fact, in-universe Jedi science may have debunked it as early as Episode Two, because midichlorians are never mentioned in the canon films or shows ever again.

For which I am thankful. God I hate midichlorians. Way to ruin the awesome mystery of the Force, George Lucas! Got a powerful, awe-inspiring mystical energy that binds the universe together? Explain that it's really a web created by microscopic symbiotes! Yeah, that's a great idea!

2e9fa9ba8c9592338a261a227ad7b9c5400e2f2fe75f6cb80df2c73cd07805af.jpg

Mindfire

Istar
Yeah. Obi-Wan lied to Luke about something. What are the odds? :p

The Ewoks? They were cannon fodder. A distraction so that Han and the other rebels could destroy the shield generator protecting the Death Star.
They managed to kill an entire detachment of stormtroopers and wreck AT-STs, all with sticks and rocks. Nice try, but no. The Ewoks are ridiculous.

Yeah. Obi-Wan lied to Luke about something. What are the odds? :p

They managed to kill an entire detachment of stormtroopers and wreck AT-STs, all with sticks and rocks. Nice try, but no. The Ewoks are ridiculous.

The only Imps we know that were killed were the ones that got smashed in the AT-ST, all other imps could have been incapacitated but not necessarily killed by the Ewoks.

Back on topic. One thing that you might want to consider is that since the Jedi were akin to samurai monks try instead of a lightsaber a different more traditional weapon, like a laser bow or a laser spear.

Reaver

Staff
The Empire was defeated by Ewoks.

They managed to kill an entire detachment of stormtroopers and wreck AT-STs, all with sticks and rocks.

Well, which is it? Did they defeat the Empire or did they simply kill a few Stormtroopers and destroy some of their equipment?

Can you show me the scene where an ewok is flying the Millennium Falcon and not Lando?

Last edited: