• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best Final Fantasy!

I recently actually started playing Final Fantasy, normally can't get into it. But I would very much like to see your guys' opinion on the best of the Final Fantasy series, best to worst. Right now I'm really enjoying Final Fantasy IX right now.

ndmellen

Minstrel
7, and then 8. Most of the FF's after 8 were sub par. Even the last two, as visually stunning as they were, left a lot to be desired in my mind.

teacup

Auror
Without a doubt IX for me. The music, story, gameplay and just everything was perfect. I can not fault it in anyway whatsoever.
I recently finished VII and loved it and the movie, advent children complete, was great too. I've played VI which was good but nothing too special in my opinion.
I've heard good things of X, though I'm not a fan of voice acting in final fantasy games.
VIII I've played some of long ago, so I don't remember it much, but I think it's good.

Speaking of FFIX this youtuber does some amazing covers of the music of IX (amongst other games) if you'd want to check her out. I love the music so here's a link if you want. (I think some of the videos show scenes from throughout the game and I'm unsure if any have spoilers, so there's your warning either way.) You're Not Alone ~ performed by Erutan ( katethegreat19 ) - YouTube

ndmellen

Minstrel
granted, I played IX over a decade ago, but I thought it was the worst of the bunch...maybe I should revisit it.

teacup

Auror
Ndmellen, it's not for everyone. People sometimes see it as childish due to it's style but it can actually be quite dark, and I think the style just makes it more unique and fun to play. People find the beginning boring too, but I loved the start of it. I guess with final fantasy games judgement can be clouded by a game being your "first final fantasy."

Velka

Sage
FFVII was my favourite. Call it nostalgia, but I still remember buying that game in the box and risking a speeding ticket to get home to install it. The graphics, the story, the everything were utterly mind blowing at the time.

It's probably why I refuse to replay the game. Right now it's a perfect memory - shining and glorious - I don't want to potentially sully it with jaded eyes almost 20 years later.

teacup

Auror
Does anyone think that their favorite final fantasy game is due to it being their first final fantasy mostly? I absolutely love IX and can't see why people prefer VII so much (I love VII too, don't kill me) but I've found that a lot of people who's first Final Fantasy was VII made that their favorite too, while my first and favorite is IX.
Thoughts?

kayd_mon

Sage
FFIII for SNES was my first. It was good.

FFVII was the best for every reason. The battle system, magic system, storyline, characters, easter eggs, world... Everything about the game was amazing. FFVIII was a great game, as was FFX and FFX-2. I especially liked the battle/jobs system of X-2. I thought that XII was embarrassingly bad, and I must admit that I have yet to play IX or XIII.

The best JRPG is Chrono Trigger, though. Since some people consider Final Fantasy and JRPG to be synonymous terms, maybe that makes Chrono Trigger the best Final Fantasy.

Yellow

Minstrel
The first I played was VIII, and although it was great, FF Tactics is my favourite, the job system is in my view one of the best ever in any game, and the story is very good as well. For some reason I can just play battle after battle without even moving forward in the story, the combat system is so engaging for me. The oldies are great too V has a great job system too, which was basicaly expanded and refined for Tactics, VI has a great story and villain. I have to admit I haven't really gotten into VII (crucifixions are not allowed), but I am planing too as soon as I have more time to play I'll get to it.

Also, I must agree with Kayd_mon though, Chrono trigger is on another level. 14 different endings or something along those lines, most of them interesting, great characters, great branching storyline, awesome combat system with super awesome technique combinations, not one but two awesome villains (though one is a potential ally) nice art design by Akira Toriyama. Hard to ask for more!

Tribal

Acolyte
I just started getting into the first FFXIII, so I'm trying to avoid earlier posts in great fear of spoilers (so-called spoilophobia), but still wanted to state that FFIX is my favourite. However there are reasons to discount my vote on whether this is the best one, because (1) it's the first I played, and (2) FFX is the only other FF I've completed (though I love that one too), I've only semi-completed FFVIII, FFX-2, and FFXII. I actually found FFXII to be really exciting, but somewhere along the way I had a busy period and never got back to it, and now my PS2 is broke so there you go. But anyways, between FFIX and FFX, then, the former is my favourite. I love the imagination of its creators, places such as Kujas Palace, Memoria, Lindblum and Terra instantly get you into my sphere of fandom. FFX definetely had its moments there as well, but the setting in FFIX was so much more vibrant and fantastic to me, quite possibly due to the set of slightly stranger races in its world. Then there's the matter of Kuja; I'm a sucker for tragic antagonists and he'd win the Noble Prize for it in my opinion.