• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best Fantasy Game or Film Soundtracks?

Gryphos

Auror
I've had the ending credits song from Portal stuck in my head for the past week. And I can't exactly blame myself, it's pretty damn catchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best game soundtracks I have ever heard are Skyrim, The Mass Effect Series, Skyward Sword, The Halo Series, Outlast (very good ambiance), The Silent Hill Series (also good ambiance), Dragon Age: Origins, The Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

The best movie soundtracks I have ever heard are: Star Wars, Rocky, The Breakfast Club, Dragonheart 1 and 2, Les Miserables, Saving Mr. Banks, The A-Team (2010), Avatar (James Cameron's), The Last Airbender (as somebody else said before me, bad movie, good soundtrack), The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit Trilogy, Pretty in Pink.

Gryphos

Auror
Just finished playing Transistor. Definitely one of the best game soundtracks I've ever heard, coupled with a damn good game by the makers of Bastion, also an amazing game with an also fantastic soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite game soundtracks are:
1) Nyx Quest - Helios and Icarus tracks
2) Odyssey into the West - menu theme
3) Halo 2 - just wow, this and Michael Wincott's voice for the Prophet of Truth
4) Skyrim of course

For fantasy/SF movies, I love Bladerunner, Gladiator, Interstellar, Red Riding Hood and Lord of the Rings - Evenstar is a great track.

I love playing this game called Bastion. Someone mentioned Transistor in an earlier post, and that is a great game. But, in my opinion, the Bastion soundtrack is even better. Check it out.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1A3044EBC796E3DC[/video]

sorry... i don't know how to get the youtube imahe to show up on the post.

Last edited:

Brightfyre

Acolyte
Shadow of Mordor OST is great. Perfect to play in the background while I write, as it gives the exact mood I'm looking for.

LordFalco

Minstrel
I doubt if anyone remembers way back to Nintendo's Castlevania 64. The score that played while traveling the haunted landscapes was both ominous and gorgeous, especially when it happened to be raining. You could hear rain patter on the leaves. Pretty impressive for an early system. The tinkling piano added a note of melancholy.

LordFalco

Minstrel
I've never found a game to match the atmospherics of that one, unless it was Draconus for Dreamcast. Final Fantasy 12 also had some moody themes, such as in a place where it snowed under a marbled sky. Wonderfully symphonic.

My favorite sound tracks were from zelda games, specifically majora's mask. I also really liked Dreamfall's and tales of symphonia.