• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Book Character Themes

I write musical themes for my characters and I finished two of them. They are for Gods of War characters Aryas and Arylos. I'm also planning on bringing these songs over to other characters in later novels.

"Avatar Aryas"-Aryas's theme

"Hell In My Head"-Arylos's theme

Feel free to provide feedback, give ideas for these pieces or other themes, comment, and download. I will have more themes on the way soon.

My main thing is is that do these match the type of character these two men are?

Aryas-Avatar, dimensional ruler. Very self-confident and prideful. Rarely empathizes. Keeps secrets, but no more than Arylos. Wants to rebel against his dictators; the Sages. One of the most powerful Templarians. Insane in the first book, becomes sane later on.

Arylos-Shadow Alchemist, police power on the Templarians. The MOST powerful Templarian and follows orders strictly from Aryas. Trapped in a Hell in his head because his mind and soul are made out of thousands of lost and dead souls. Rather insane, but keeps in touch with reality. LOVES heavy music, especially hard rock. Keeps many secrets and is the most secretive of the Templarians.

What do you think? I also would like to know if the pieces are good or if there's more changes that need to be made. That is, technically, my main question.

Good creativity here. Obviously we only have an outline of the characters from the description, so we can only say vaguely how well the themes match them, after all you know who they should be. I may have got the wrong images of the characters, so correct me if I'm wrong.

From the description of Aryas I had an image of this proud noble, with a complex personality, planning and possibly biding his time. Maybe that is the wrong impression, because I was surprised by how dynamic his theme is. It runs at quite an unstoppable speed, with power and a kind of fateful edge to it (was it the bells?). So if thats his character then I'm sure it would fit fine, I just expected it to be more measured or contemplative.

Arylos' theme was pretty good. It has a certain busy feel to it to fit with his mental chaos, as well as that powerful tempo again, giving it that dynamic power. I also thought it carried authority, something else that would fit the character, and I also wondered if there was sympathetic element there as well, an edge of humanity or something. Anyway good work and keep at it.

Good creativity here. Obviously we only have an outline of the characters from the description, so we can only say vaguely how well the themes match them, after all you know who they should be. I may have got the wrong images of the characters, so correct me if I'm wrong.

From the description of Aryas I had an image of this proud noble, with a complex personality, planning and possibly biding his time. Maybe that is the wrong impression, because I was surprised by how dynamic his theme is. It runs at quite an unstoppable speed, with power and a kind of fateful edge to it (was it the bells?). So if thats his character then I'm sure it would fit fine, I just expected it to be more measured or contemplative.

Arylos' theme was pretty good. It has a certain busy feel to it to fit with his mental chaos, as well as that powerful tempo again, giving it that dynamic power. I also thought it carried authority, something else that would fit the character, and I also wondered if there was sympathetic element there as well, an edge of humanity or something. Anyway good work and keep at it.

Thanks for your help. In fact, you did get the personalities pretty much spot on.

I did try to add some sympathy or empathy with Arylos because he is able to do that. He despises humans a lot, but for his own reasons, he protects them and can empathize with them. I originally wanted to add bells with Arylos's theme, but that sounded too much for the ear and a little too "light" for him. The original version had a double bass and a steel guitar with a repetitive (and boring) drum rhythm. Here I changed the rhythm to push the song more and added a distortion bass and distortion guitar to put more power behind it. I kept piano because that is the instrument Arylos can play and I thought that it would be a nice touch.