• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Book Signing

Rexenm

Maester
I met an old high school friend at a wedding once, but they had gained so much weight, I did not recognize them. That was terrible. No way I had forgotten them otherwise.
I bailed on my sisters wedding, and good thing too, about 20 whales- selfie!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I write left handed, and they work for me. I guess it depends on the pen/brand.

Or it depends on something else. Your experience does not match my own. If you think I am alone, I would invite you to do some google searches on pens and left handed people.

Felt tip or fountain pen (especially) have always proven troublesome.

In what way?

Joe McM

Minstrel
Fun Question: What do you sign with?

So...as it turns out, I have family and friends and such who want me to sign my book. But....A number of thoughts occurs to me. 1) I have terrible handwriting. 2) I am signing a pen name which will make that worse. 3) I am left handed which means many pens just dont work for me. 4) I am terrible at things like signing cards to people and trying to make them personable. So what to do?

Usually I write with a pencil or a felt tip type pen, but....who wants their book signed with a pencil? And does a felt tip pose problems...like, they bleed sometimes, and may not stand up to the test of time.

So, I am wondering, is there any reason not to use a felt tip pen?

And for those who have, what has the experience been like.
After having signed a few books recently, felt tips are better than ink pens. They make it stand better. Initially, I was using pen. Also, I'm also discovering that I have to develop an autograph signature. Since I use my real name, not the one I use on official documents, I'm conscious of not wanting to have a complete signature on the book.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I found in practicing with a various number of pens, I just could not rely on most of them to actually write. I ended up using a marker like pen with a wider felt tip.

Also, I'm also discovering that I have to develop an autograph signature. Since I use my real name, not the one I use on official documents, I'm conscious of not wanting to have a complete signature on the book.
This. Not that I sign many (any really) books, but I've created an autograph specifically for signing author stuff. Both because it's short and fast (in case I ever end up famous and have to sign hundreds of things), and because I don't want my real signature plastered all over the place. It's too easy to abuse.

After having signed a few books recently, felt tips are better than ink pens. They make it stand better. Initially, I was using pen. Also, I'm also discovering that I have to develop an autograph signature. Since I use my real name, not the one I use on official documents, I'm conscious of not wanting to have a complete signature on the book.
Hmmm .... never thought of that.

Too late, I guess.