• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bookbub New Release Promo

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I was a tad surprised to get a quick response from Bookbub, so I'm now adjusting all my promotions. I was opening slowly anyhow in order to optimize advertising channels before larger spend, but with the Bookbub promo hitting on 6/6 it gives me a hard target date for being ready to rock.

I'll post results here.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Now for the interesting bit... Putting on the psychic hat!

Book New Release Promo is not as powerful as the Featured Deal, and I'm running the promo at $2.99 instead of $0.99, so my expectations are anywhere from 50-150 sales. Anything around 100 I will consider a win.

15 so far, and Amazon tends to lag in sales.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
So, breaking 100 sales on the day (about 12 hours from when I expected the email ad to go out) and tacked on a few other sales. Of course, paperback and hardcover results will lag. Hit #1 in one category.

That was my baseline for success with this promo, but I'd love to see more sales rolling in. The next curiosity is how well advertising can maintain the position with that little best-seller flag, LOL.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Ok, this is the right post!

Hit 150 sales this morning so it's at the high end of expectations as sales now trickle in on day 2.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
It's a nice pop for sure... I'm waiting to see if I can get Featured Deal for Eve of Snows, offering it Free for the first time ever on Amazon. Hitting that after this promo could be a major boom for read-through and exposure.

But I just had a funny!

Amazon recommended a $350 per day budget for my ad... COUGH SPUTTER CHOKE! I admit, that would be fun, but ummmm... yeah. You could be missing up to 1.5 million clicks! Okay Okay, from 530k to 1.59 million clicks. Nothing like a big ballpark!

EDIT: That just struck me, just how long would I be running an ad for that many clicks? Krikee.

Funny that I've never seen them recommend a lower budget.

Nice! Congrats on hitting #1.

Maybe I should start applying for them for my next release :)

Last edited:
1.5 million clicks at a conservative 1-in-20 conversion rate, should give you 75.000 sales. Not too bad. All for a measly $350 a day...

They never seems to want less money, that's for sure. Though unlike FB, they don't always spend all your money, so nothing's lost if you've set your budget too high. Except if you're getting clicks but not sales of course.

Have you ever tried the auto-targetting ads from Amazon?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Auto-targeting... Ummm, seems like when I first started out an Amazon ad in 2018 I used one, and maybe tinkered with one later seeing if it found anything useful. "Book book book" did, indeed, have sales, but not with any efficiency, LMAO. Category wide ads have had some success, say, targeting the Category Epic Fantasy.

My best fine-tuned ad was targeting just a few authors and their books, and THEN one of those authors had a new release and the ad prices soared to the point I didn't want to match the bids. I wish I could say I've found a great strategy, but alas, it's a whole lot of chaos.

OLD Facebook ads were by my best bet before the friggin targeting changes due to the EU and other privacy concerns.
1.5 million clicks at a conservative 1-in-20 conversion rate, should give you 75.000 sales. Not too bad. All for a measly $350 a day...

They never seems to want less money, that's for sure. Though unlike FB, they don't always spend all your money, so nothing's lost if you've set your budget too high. Except if you're getting clicks but not sales of course.

Have you ever tried the auto-targetting ads from Amazon?