• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

building an idea for a story... help?

cariadhe

Dreamer
So lately I've been toying with two ideas. And I'm trusting here that no one's gonna steal them. I don't think anyone will, and it's not like I would know if they did anyway, but nevertheless...

I want to merge these two ideas somehow. Ideas? Comments on any part of either idea?

Idea one:

We've had superpowers, "talents", since the beginning of time. Since then, glimpses and rumors of us with our talents in use have been behind the germinating of myths and fables, cave paintings spraying across dark stone walls and fanciful tales rolling off storytellers' tongues to hang mysteriously and wonderfully in the night air. But we're just human. Always have been.

Ahem... gotta go soon, so I'll cut the crap. :)

Witch hunts in Europe -> Pilgrims, many of whom were talented, and their gifts put them in danger of being murdered along with the rest of the poor victims of the hunts. They also didn't want talenthood to be exposed because of the hunts.

Roanoke was a colony completely talented. The captain was a horrid guy. When he left on a trip back to GB, the colony cryptoflaged itself through a talented person, unable to be seen, heard, smelled (?), or tasted (....?!) but still felt. That's why it was never found. The town renamed itself Alliance. The talented took on the title "rara avises".

Another cryptoflage found the town centuries later during the 1900's. Alliance was threatened, as were all the raras. The man didn't realize he was one of them, being a reporter, and nearly unraveled everything. In a last stand, a rara killed the man. Controversy. Justification -> he thought raras were superior to humans anyway. In the end, half of Alliance left to start another thingy elsewhere with the rebel rara. They became the Kindred, who believe raras are superior to humans.

In our time, Alliance, now an organization called Alliance, works with the USA president only to help contribute to the world and all that good stuff. Our failsafe of exploitation is our leader, a cryptopath, in that he can tell lies and truth and realize secrets and codes. The Kindred has been quietly on the side for years. It believes that raras are superior to humans, but not racistly so, and it doesn't go around killing anyone because of its beliefs. Recently, there have been stirrings.

What the hay are they supposed to be? I don't know. Maybe the Kindred leader goes mad, or goes through a trauma that makes him think that he needs to act against humans and kill them all... start a worldwide war.

Idea two:

Everyone has a talent. Talents can be anything, with a practically limitless range. I.e. you don't just control water and its forms, but any liquids, or any clear things. There are some holes in this.

Everyone lives together. One race, one nation. The knowledge and technology of 2011, but the clothes and lifestyle of fabric tunics and moccasins. I won't elaborate on this so much. Equal rights for man, woman, and child.

A guy is rejected from being a _____ from the council. His life is based on this decision, and he goes a little insane. He claims his rejection was because most of the council shared a common affinity and because he controlled another one. (If I throw out the all-encompassing talent thing and stick with Idea One's talents, it could be water vs. fire, with firefighting or some job like it.) Somehow he starts a war.

Mythological creatures or not? Very, very sketchy still.

Merging:

One idea is to have a worldwide war start because of Kindred Leader Man, kind of like the Rejected Dude going mad in Idea Two and starting a war, and then have the whole world reduced to nothing. A group of people, both raras and not, could say, "this is crap" and build an underground city or the like, storing knowledge and technology of the time, and wait out the war. When they come back up, they could restart civilization, with the minds of our time but the lifestyles of before, in an effort to preserve the earth...

To work mythological creatures into it, it could be that they were hiding up in the clouds somewhere playing harps or something and be like, "Oh hey, you guys are back. We thought you were all dead, so we came down to repopulate. Your ancestors tried to kill us all, so we went into hiding. And now we're not." Too far a cry?

Then all the humans could realize that they can Bond with the creatures, and that they're not just the dumpy little rocks sitting next to the raras, who look like gemstones compared to them. Originally, every human could Bond with a mythological creature, and every rara had a talent. When the creatures were driven away, the Bond receded into them, becoming just a dull ache of loneliness. I totally just came up with the last two paragraphs on the spot. I feel smart now. Thanks, guys! ((:)

Last edited:

Taytortots

Minstrel
I really like the two ideas, and I feel like they can stand on their own as an individual story and not need to merge. To be honest, I think it would be better that way.
If you are dead set on wanting the two ideas to merge, your idea at the bottom wasn't all that bad, but it's in need of refinement. You did lose me a bit at the last paragraph, I suppose too much ideas pushed into a small description. Hiding up in the clouds? That doesn't make total sense. Perhaps they found somewhere else to hide out, or evolved a gift that helped them to hide from the war.
Well, I hope this helped.

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
Hmmm, those could be merged and you could even have the jump cuts going back to a flashback style set up; but without the actual character this story centers on, it seems a little jumbled. It is going to take a great character with inner strength or broad shoulders to carry the story. Have any idea as to what the issue will be and what kind of protag you are going to have? I think that can help merge them together too.

cariadhe

Dreamer
First up, thanks for the encouragement! Much appreciated.

As to the strong protag, I have someone in mind. His personality's been floating in my head for a while and I've finally settled on a name - Graham. I was thinking that he was abused by his father after his mom died giving birth to his baby sister, and that he was adopted by his best friend's family when Dad got busted. I know this would take a strong character, and he is... quite a character. And this would be a very dramatic past. So character development's going to be heavy and very well thought-out.

I've also been thinking of a more viable setting-plot-thing. So before Earth ever existed, there was a world named Eden where mythological creatures and humans lived together, and all the humans had talents. Only the category of talented, Psyches, or "Psychos" as they were comically called, could Bond with these creatures. They all spoke the same language then, but Bonders had a mind-to-mind communication, a Link, with one individual of the race, "Companion". And then there was a catastrophe, and humans either deliberately betrayed the creatures or it looked like they did in the confusion. So somehow the humans were sent to Earth, and they eventually forgot Eden, but memories of the creatures remained in myths. No magic in this, just... SCIENCE. :3 Afterwards, all talented could Bond, not jut Psychos. And somehow Edenites and Earth natives still found a little hole in the planet jumping barrier and crossed back and forth, and Graham crosses over with his best friend Channing and meets Adairia (Dair), an Earth native who'd crossed over a few months or year ago. And the rest is still in the works.

Ghost

Inkling
The word "companions" and the mind-link idea remind of Mercedes Lackey in a big, big way. Just a heads up.