• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NFT World building

Cool-Beans

Scribe
Hey guys,

I have been uploading / minting some art works that I started creating at university, real life photography which I can replicate quite easily using clay and different backdrops. I enjoyed making the series and continue to enjoy it.

I wonder though, with NFT's, a lot of the successful ones either have some intricate world building and marketing behind them.

Previously I've enjoyed creating content online, and I tend to categorise them the same way, [Series name] {number}, example: Aggro #1 etc etc etc.

I don't add too much to the stories, or world building. But I think the artwork I create is intended to create some sort of emotional reaction.

Do any of you guys write in this manner?

Here's an example of the work I'm uploading.

Cheers guys

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I am not sure how well these two mediums intersect. In writing, the longer the story goes, the more world building tends to seep in. I might say, I write my scenes to have a type of emotional impact, and am usually reaching to have something enthralling about it. Usually want scenes to end in a way that has a reader wondering what is coming next.

For a pure emotional impact, I think I would need a short, or a poem. Larger than that, I need more effort at having a world to go with it.

I am not sure this is really something writers are best suited for.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm not sure I understand. Do I write like a NFT?

Anyways, the NFT markets have totally bottomed out, so it's not a useful business model.

In my opinion, NFT's are a scam. An attempt to create something unique out of something which by its very nature is not unique.

As for writing like one, I'm not sure how you would go about that. An NFT is simply a way to establish ownership over something. It has nothing to do with the actual underlying work.

Reactions: Ban

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
I was involved in an NFT art/story/game project, which was great fun. The NFTs were used as access tokens to our website where NFT owners could read stories and play a simple game. The project was experimental. But it opened my eyes to the future potential of NFTs.

NFT full potential hasn’t been developed yet, but there is a huge and genuine community working towards this.

I saw some writers experimenting with NFTs, mostly as access tokens (with a nominal price tag 5-10 dollars) to their gated online material.

And countless brands are minting NFTs to provide community engagement. Most of these NFTs are not speculative.

As far as NFT speculation is concerned, it’s laughable that someone would pay 100k for a jpeg of an ape. But people do it. And where you get that kind of money, you’ll get lots of scammers.

NFTs are powered by blockchain technology. This is the same technology that will power the upcoming Digital Euro. Does that make each digital Euro an NFT?

Not too sure. Maybe they’ll call it something else.

Regardless, as creatives, it’s worth keeping an eye on how the NFT technology evolves.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I reckoned the NFT fad had died off by now. As for creative pursuits, I don't see the use of these things. If I wanted to make exclusive content, I could just put it behind a regular paywall. As for engagement, I don't see how the NFT would help curate a desirable community. If anything, it just adds an unnecessary distraction for those who care about these things, and confusion/annoyance for those who don't. Money and regular avatars trump the NFT on both points. The one use I could see is if I were to specifically market towards artsy tech-bros, but even there I think the ship has sailed.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
What's weird to me is that buying a piece of NFT art doesn't even cover the copyright for that art. It literally just means you own a kind of tangible digital occurrence of it. They can sell thousands of NFTs of the same piece of art. That's how little it means. That's just one reason the market crashed a full 95% in June and isn't likely to return.

The blockchain technology behind it may have applications, but the NFT craze is over. It was buoyed by pump-and-dump marketing scammers, money launderers, and confusing high tech myths. It doesn't deserve to return.

M. Popov

Scribe
What's weird to me is that buying a piece of NFT art doesn't even cover the copyright for that art. It literally just means you own a kind of tangible digital occurrence of it. They can sell thousands of NFTs of the same piece of art. That's how little it means. That's just one reason the market crashed a full 95% in June and isn't likely to return.

The blockchain technology behind it may have applications, but the NFT craze is over. It was buoyed by pump-and-dump marketing scammers, money launderers, and confusing high tech myths. It doesn't deserve to return.
I had to attend a NFT convention this year, work reasons. The explanation that was given for the current market, by the speakers, is that there was an initial craze, which died down once the reality set in, and the market is speculated to stabilize. However, the convention did not cover stories and was more focused on art, fashion and tech.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I would think that NFT's and fiction wouldn't combine terribly well. The whole point of writing, at least for Team Lowan, is to tell stories to entertain, and I'm under the impression that NFT's are more about exclusivity of ownership than sharing.

NFT's as access tokens make zero sense to me. When you take away the tech-speak all an NFT is, is an entry in a ledger that proofs ownership of something, where that something is pretty much only a digital copy of something. It doesn't grant access or exclusivity, and it doesn't protect anything. Why create NFT access tokens when a simple username / password does a better job of granting access to a single person?

Digital items are, by the very fact that they are digital, easily multiplied. If I create an ebook version of my novel, then I can give that same version to 100 people without any particular cost to me or those people. It's a simple copy-paste. An NFT tries to turn that into something exclusive. Yet, if I sell an NFT for the first version limited edition of my ebook, there is nothing limited about it. Right after I've sold that NFT I can go around and create a million copies of that exact same ebook in the blink of an eye.

All that means that the only value in them is that it gives people the idea that they've got something special. Which makes it about as special as beany babies.