1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Camp Nanowrimo 2017

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by Garren Jacobsen, Mar 5, 2017.

1. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Thinker102

Sorry about that.

2. Caged Maiden

Caged Maiden Staff Article Team

Gotcha, guys!

3. Chessie

Chessie Guest

I'm so glad to be doing this with all of you. A deadline is fast approaching and the motivation of writing with my Mythic buddies will be a boost!

4. Fluffypoodel

Fluffypoodel Inkling

I'm not sure if I'm going to forge ahead on the new novel or if I'm going to be revising. Hope the indecision doesn't kill me! I'm still Fluffypoodel over there.

5. Lilly

Lilly Acolyte

Camp NaNoWriMo

I'm hopefully going to follow through with it this time. I've always quit after a week or two...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. Chilari

Chilari Staff Moderator

Woo, I'd hoped some of my Mythic friends might be doing Camp this April. I'm in! 30,000 goal, fantasy story set on a volcanic island following a major eruption event during which colony officials fled leaving behind convicts, servants, guards and those born on the island who couldn't afford to bribe sailors to let them onto the fleeing ships, or get to port in time. My protagonist is Fiarra, a child of convicts who, in the wake of the death and destruction of the eruptions, can't envision a future and doesn't feel like she fits in with people trying to make the best of it and rebuild society when there are still earthquakes and further eruptions and all structure has collapsed. It's gonna be fun.

My profile.

7. Aryth

Aryth Minstrel

I was so confused when you guys started talking about cabins! I have heard of Camp NaNoWriMo but was under the impression that you paid in order to participate. Is that true or is it free like in November? What are the functions of "cabins?":confused:

8. Aryth

Aryth Minstrel

So, I went to the Camp NaNo page and it does look like it's free! Yay! However, I haven't figured out what the difference is between November NaNoWriMo and this one in April. Is the focus different?

9. Chessie

Chessie Guest

The one in April is a chance for you to work on whatever manuscript you want, be it a WIP or a new one. The one in November is reserved for new projects (at least encouraged).

Aryth likes this.
  10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Camp NaNo is intended for those who find November NaNo too stressful. You can opt for a lower word count, among other things.

Aryth likes this.
  11. Chilari

Chilari Staff Moderator

Camp NaNoWriMo has a different structure to November NaNo. It's based on having a small group of fellow writers as a support system, like a writing group, with whom to interact in the cabin system, rather than a vast great forum where tens of thousands of people are interacting across numerous boards, like in November. To go along with that, you can set your own goal. The aim, as far as I can tell, is to have a low-pressure, more intimate environment. So it's more relaxed. Some people work better with high ambitions and surrounded by others all doing the same thing - and that's where the November challenge thrives. But others do better with more reachable goals and a comfortable circle of a few others giving mutual encouragement, and that's Camp's corner.

It's all free, though they have donation drives and a shop full of merchandise to pay for the staff and running costs.

12. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Is there still room? My nano name is also Mythopoet.

13. Caged Maiden

Caged Maiden Staff Article Team

Yes, still room. Gotcha, Mythopoet

A reminder to folks looking to join the cabin, please try to "thank" my original post about setting up a cabin (or PM me). It just makes sure that when I log into MS forums once in a while, that I see a red reminder at the top of my screen that lets me know someone needs my attention. I'm sorry I'm not here more, but I'm starting a new project and I've got a few personal demands of my time, and a health concern that is taking a lot out of me. I've been scarce here for months. I'll do my best to log in and try to scan this thread from time to time, but it's easier to just see the red reminder, whether it's from a "thank" or a PM.

Chilari likes this.
  14. Chilari

Chilari Staff Moderator

According to a message in Camp Mail from organisers, we can now have 20 people per cabin. At the moment we're on 7 so we've got loads of space.

15. AngelaRCox

AngelaRCox Dreamer

At the last minute, I'm in!
    Gotta do something to get out of this no-writing post-dissertation funk. :p

16. ThinkerX

ThinkerX Myth Weaver

Ugh.

I have written exactly zero words of my Camp NaNo novelette 'Reset' - because I am *still* editing 'Empire: Country.' I didn't dare stop with that once I got started. Just one more chapter to go...