• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can autistic people be good writers?

Mythopoet

Auror
My husband has asperger's and I have two sons on the spectrum. All three of them are shockingly similar in certain ways and totally different in others. They are all very creative in amazing ways.

There is no such thing as "Can autistic people..." All autistic people are different. All have different strengths and even the weaknesses they have in common effect each of them in highly individual ways. And I realize that what a lot of autistic people do is place people in categories so that they're easier to handle, but if you don't want the world to just label you as autistic then you should try to not do it to yourself as well.

On the subject of autism and storytelling, I suppose it would probably be very difficult for someone who has a hard time understanding people to write a story that connects emotionally with a large number of readers. So maybe you shouldn't make bestsellerdom your goal. Or maybe you should to try to challenge yourself and work hard on those people skills. There's lots of stuff out there designed to help you. But you know, the number of people that we are realizing have the characteristics of autism is growing all the time and all those people need books to read too. Maybe an autistic person is the best person to write the stories that will connect with autistic people the best. Maybe that could be you.