• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can autistic people be good writers?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
@ Kit. I too have suffered from manic depression for about 17 years. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Sure, it can be inconvenient from time to time and make me look like a raving lunatic at others, but it's because of my condition that I get to do what I do.

Mania is fun to ride for a few days, and once you learn to live with it, and accept it for what it is, you can harness it for the powers of good. Thanks for bringing that up. Most people respond negatively when I tell them I'm manic depressive. "Oh, I know you have such a difficult time with..." "When you're feeling better maybe we can..." "I know you are depressed but..."

"Oh my gawd. I'm fine, can we just get on with it?" Haha those are all conversations I've actually had with a friend of mine who must think I'm the weakest soul on the planet. I just can't seem to make her understand that I function just fine, better than most people I know. It's like her assuming a person missing their right hand can no longer write... um it's called compensation. Have you ever watched a three-legged puppy playing? He doesn't know there's supposed to be something wrong with him. He just runs around with the other dogs as happy as ever. However a skittish animal constantly coddled when it gets neurotic is doomed to never overcome it's condition because it's never forced to act normal and socialize. I think medication isn't the choice for me because I've seen people turned into zombies by it, but when you can accept your differences/ weaknesses/ flaws, and learn to live with them, they are no longer disabilities but strengths.

Wait a moment, the sword guy in the Research forum said in his opening post that he had Asperger's too. That makes five of us. Considering how rare the condition is in the general population, aspies may indeed be overrepresented here.

Six. :)

I should certainly hope you can still write with apspergers, or I've just wasted six years of my life.

Personally, I've always found that the subltety and characterisation problems are not real problems: while I have trouble understanding real people, I can always understand my characters because I'm in their heads. Facial expressions, well, an overemphasis on describing every little tic on someone's face would murder pacing, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You might have to work harder at certain aspects of your writing, but that's no reason you couldn't produce a work of genius.

Here's a question for all the aspies out here: how many of you have actually created a character with aspergers, stated in the text or not? My protagonist and his brother both exhibit some of the characteristics, as observed in myself, but its never said out loud because it's a pseudo-classical setting and pyschiatry doesn't exist.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Amen, Scipio. I'd hate to have wasted the last 15 years of my life. And I haven't created any characters with Aspberger's.

Wait a moment, the sword guy in the Research forum said in his opening post that he had Asperger's too. That makes five of us.

*raises hand* Here.

I sorta lucked out, though, because I don't have the social interaction issues or problems with subtlety you describe. In fact, I'm pretty good at understanding other people and reading social cues. My problems lie more in the "restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests" part of the disorder.

That's really the tricky part - even if we have the same diagnosis we may not suffer the same symptoms or have the same problems to the same degree. So I'm afraid this isn't really "yes or no" kind of question. Some of us can probably become decent writers, and some of us - unfortunately - probably can't.

That said, I personally find that my problems have become more managable as I grow older, so by all means, don't give up if you still have some fight in you.

Is it safe to say you only have these concerns after you were diagnosed?
What the hell matters what doctors think or diagnose, what matters is if your readers buy.

Well, people react differently to the diagnosis. Some don't like to be labeled or use it as an excuse for their problems, or even aknowlege that there's anything "wrong" with them to begin with.

For others - like me - being diagnosed actually made sense of a lot of things. Suddenly I wasn't just this odd, awkward guy who couldn't understand basic math, couldn't stand change and had a bizarre obsession with swords; there was actually a reason for it all. Growing up I always had this suspicion that my problems were not, in fact, the results of me sucking at life and generally being a failure, and it felt pretty nice to get an official confirmation of that.

For that matter, being aware of the my diagnosis gave me a chance to actually try to manage it while at the same time have realistic expectations and improve little by little. See, when you are a normal person people always expect you to just get a hold of yourself and go out to see some people or something, because it's not like it's hard, right? Wheras I can say: "Actually, it totally is, and here is why."

I do respect those who don't want to be held back or defined by their diagnosis; if you simply accept it as something intrinsic, you can't really do anything about it. But on the other hand, one must also respect that this is an impairment - something that really does cause us real problems in real life. It's not something we can just will away.

Kit

Maester
Here's a question for all the aspies out here: how many of you have actually created a character with aspergers, stated in the text or not?

I *adore* psychology, and I'm making a point of creating a lot of characters with this and that psychological issue. It's fascinating to imagine how people react to that in a setting where they don't have a diagnosis for it. Sometimes they attribute it to something magical.

Several cultures have considered some forms of insanity to be simply a matter of that person having a window into the otherworld. It could actually be a respected condition.

Being open-minded myself, although I do accept that there is a lot of genuine mental illness out there, I certainly wonder about- for instance- someone who hears voices. Hell, maybe that person really *IS* hearing voices! Maybe some of those people have a line into a world that most of us can't see. That sort of speculation fascinates the hell out of me as a fantasy writer.

I have certainly had a few "paranormal" experiences myself, that if I shared them with "normal" people, they would think I was looped.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
There were a number of people with Asperger's in my wedding party (nobody can quite agree on how many). Amazing people, and I don't say that lightly.

The symptoms are literally a list of strengths and weaknesses. I think you have to treat them as such. Play to your strengths; find ways to mitigate your weaknesses. Not just in your writing, but in your writing process, too. For instance, you can't interpret facial queues? Go find some books about them and novels that use them a lot and steal some of their phrasings. Make up for the weakness with extra focus.

And of course, you need to remember that the diagnosis is just a tool for understanding yourself better. Really don't make too much of the label. Labels are never good when you make too much of them.

Last edited:

Queshire

Istar
I haven't made a character specifically with aspergers yet, though my characters, essentially being extensions of myself, undoubtably have some of features of it. I would really enjoy reading a story about someone with Aspergers that actually gets it right. It really annoys me when they say a character has aspergers but it's nothing like the real life version.

gavintonks

Maester
This sounds like ATD syndrome call it a big name and charge your medical aid a fortune. How was it diagnosed, with a finger? Licked to see which side dried the fastest, a dna gene map or hi answer this question if you get it wrong you have a disease?

The exact cause is unknown. Although research suggests the likelihood of a genetic basis,[1] there is no known genetic etiology[10][11] and brain imaging techniques have not identified a clear common pathology.[1] There is no single treatment, and the effectiveness of particular interventions is supported by only limited data.[1] Intervention is aimed at improving symptoms and function. The mainstay of management is behavioral therapy, focusing on specific deficits to address poor communication skills, obsessive or repetitive routines, and physical clumsiness.[12] Most children improve as they mature to adulthood, but social and communication difficulties may persist.[7] Some researchers and people with Asperger's have advocated a shift in attitudes toward the view that it is a difference, rather than a disability that must be treated or cured.[13][14]

So you felt like sitting on your own a bit more, and your parents say is there anything wrong? doctor says yes and everyone is happy, but you will grow out of it with the right drugs and age
we listen to far too much medical nonsense

Some of the most brilliant people in the world are autistic. You can do this.
Have a close friend or family member sit down with you and help you develop a description of emotions. Interview people, ask questions. Don't think of yourself as emotionally handicapped. Approach it as something you need to research.
I have bipolar disorder and so for me wild emotions are all I know. I've been told my characters are angsty and without clear motivation. Inconsistent in their display of emotions. While I get that characters need to be consistent, my personal experience has not reflected that. It's something I have overcome with hard work (and medication lol), and my writing has only improved because of my struggles.

By the way--you say that you have no idea how "real people" think. Are you not a real person??? You mean "non-autistic" people. Your experience in life is as valid as anyone else's. You may have trouble learning how to reach a non-autistic audience, but I am confident with research and the help of friends that you can do it. Hang in there friend--I'm guessing that you will take this obstacle, overcome it, and be an even better writer for having gone through it.

As someone else who has faced unique challenges, you have my full support. I believe that you can do this, with all my heart.

gavintonks

Maester
hre it is you never had enough hugs

Autism sufferers can often experience high levels of anxiety caused by sensory overload. While some would-be solutions focus on removing this sensory stimulation and distraction (like the Study Nook) others aim at dealing with the stress caused. The Squease Vest is an inflatable vest which, it's claimed, can help to alleviate anxiety through deep body pressure.

The Squease Vest is said to be light and discrete that it can be worn all day
The Squease Vest is also available with a compatible hooded sweatshirt
Studies have previously found that deep pressure releases naturally calming chemicals in t...

The vest, which will be launched to the public this week at the Autism Show at London’s ExCel, is said to be the first such remedy which is discreet enough that it can be worn all day and used as required. It uses the tried and tested method of deep pressure to calm an over-stimulated and overwhelmed wearer.

Looking a little like a bullet-proof vest, the device features zip and velcro fastenings and has air pockets all the way around it. An attached hand pump allows the wearer to apply and regulate soothing pressure by pumping or releasing air to deliver a hug sensation. Soft edging and a zip cover prevent irritation to the skin and elastic strips, which run vertically along the flanks of the vest, allow movement.

Studies have previously found that deep pressure releases naturally calming chemicals in the brain, along with endorphins which stimulate happiness. As such, occupational therapists use a number of methods to deliver this "big hug" sensation to people with autism, ADHD and sensory processing disorders.

However, such solutions have traditionally been somewhat cumbersome. While heavily weighted clothes, therapy blankets and swaddle-like wraps are significantly more practical for modern life than Temple Grandin's Hug Machine, they are often still not ideal for use out and about. Equally, tight-fitting therapy tops deliver a constant "hug" rather than just applying it when required.

The Squease Vest, which is also available with a compatible hooded sweatshirt, is said to be light and discreet enough that it can be worn all day. It is suggested that the best results come from inflating the vest for periods of around 20 minutes at stressful times and that when deflated, the vest sits loosely around the wearer's body.

"The vest is inflated by squeezing a hand pump, allowing the wearer to regulate and apply soothing pressure in everyday situations that may lead to anxiety, stress or sensory overload - whether that is at home, at school, or on-the-move," say its makers.

The Squease Vest is available online for £245 (around US$380) and with the Squease Jacket for £295 ($457). While the hooded top is currently available in blue or grey color schemes, different styles will be on offer later in the year.

Source: Squease Wear via Daily Mail

Here's a quick video explaining how the Squease Vest works and the problems some Autism sufferers experience.

@ caged maiden
My bipolar became life-threatening to me, and so I had to seek medical attention. My mania was termed "hypomania"--not as intense but still elevated above normal. The depressive phases--well, I was hospitalized. I now take meds and am much happier in general. For me, bpd was not something I could live with well. I still feel creative, and now that I'm fully adjusted to the meds I feel like my writing has improved and I am actually able to concentrate.
As far as meds go, you do feel pretty zombie like until you find the right med combo.
But I understand how irritating it is when people walk on eggshells and treat you like you're a time bomb or something.
If your manic depression is something you can live happily with, power to you girl! Mine was more than I can handle, and medication (it took three years of meds before I felt like myself again, just without the crazy cycles) really helped me out. I think its awesome you have overcome the challenges and I am really happy for you. Don't let other people make you feel like you are somehow less than you are.

Six. :)
Personally, I've always found that the subltety and characterisation problems are not real problems: while I have trouble understanding real people, I can always understand my characters because I'm in their heads.

You are a real person.

Unless you mean real people vs. characters.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
@ Delaitha. Yeah I think for me, medication is more scary than anything else. Some of the things I did to help were:

1) getting off birth control pills. I tried many between the ages of 15 and 24, but for whatever reason, they just emphasized my mood swings. I wonder whether other young women have similar problems.

2) I started recognizing my symptoms and patterns. So when I felt manic and couldn't sleep, I went for a run or whatever, to make myself tired so I could get the sleep I needed. I used to not sleep for like days at a time. My record is 83 hours, where I looked at my rug speeding toward my face and woke on me knees with my butt in the air passed out on my face.

3) forcing myself to eat. When I get manic or depressed I tend to not eat and then binge. Neither feels good and though weight has never been an issue for me, I have gone through long periods where I barely ate at all.

4) A healthy relationship with an understanding man has helped more than anything. It took years for us to be able to talk bout our inner problems and get used to each others' patterns, but now that we can recognize and gently remind each other to take care of ourselves, my quality of life has improved dramatically.

Mania is a weird thing. Twice in my life I have been laying waiting to die, thinking I killed myself. One time I even wrote, in case it was the end, I wanted people to know it was an accident.

Mania is by far the worse symptom for me. Pill-popping, sleep-deprivation causing deranged visions, promiscuity, self-mutilation, racing thoughts so bad I just did anything to dull my senses and thoughts. Most people think the depression is bad, you know, lethargy, self-hatred, hiding away from people, laying for days, immersed in video games or wandering like a zombie forgetting things or not caring enough to remember them. It's hard when you go from one to the other in a matter of two days.

I count myself lucky, for sure.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
A lot of my self-"therapy" is just accepting what I cannot change about myself and learning to ride the wave through both phases. Then I can pull through in a matter of a few days and proceed as normal. The more I learn to recognize and mitigate the damages, the better off I am. I would gladly help other young people to learn these skills, but I hesitate to put myself out there because in truth, I don't know anything about psychology other than what I've witnessed in my very colorful life, and I'm not sure that qualifies me to help other people.

You are a real person.

Unless you mean real people vs. characters.

Yeah, and I barely understand myself half the time.

But to be serious, I think that everyone has trouble understanding others to some extent or other: we can try and imagine what others might think or feel, but we can never truly know each others minds because we can never be sure that nothing is being held back.

I don't see this as a bad thing by the way: what price trust in a world without secrets after all?

Jess A

Archmage
I may just be grumpy because I'm forced to be awake at this ungodly hour but do you mean "great people and amazing to have conversastions with" for somebody with autism or would you think the same thing if you didn't know they had Aspergers? Again, I doubt you meant it that way, and I blame my lack of sleep, but I HATE it when people hear we have Aspergers and go "oh you poor little thing" and pity us.

Nope. No pity involved; that is not how I work. And no intention to be condescending. I didn't know some of them had Asperger's. One girl I spoke to didn't tell me for months. I just loved her because she shared a deep fascination with things as I often do.

I won't deny that your hypersensitive, presumptuous response irks me somewhat. But I can understand being up at a nasty hour. Especially when it's cold ... x.x I can be equally as sensitive in the morning.

I do hope I have cleared that up with you, Queshire. Now we may move on.

Shadowfox

I have Aspergers myself and the books I write are pretty good.

To help you out I'll give you a tip...

If you REALY want to be a little better you can make yourself study the HABITS of others. Not just their body languge. Then fit this information with what you know about their personality and background.

Knowing to do this will not only help you get to know people better and help your Jugment in character but helps you come up with characters for books. You can also take up studying Psycology and watching cleshay stiyle high school movies like high school musical and other stuff.

For better realistic charicters read a lot of teen and adult novels and studdy the charicters as hard as you can without a headache. For better fight seens: read books with BIG fights and as you watch violent movies - sorry - put your self in a narrative and narrate the seen in your head or aloud if that helps a little more.

This stuff helps me and I not only have Aspergers but Dislexya to!

If this does not help you then try changing it up a bit and remember the results you want are NOT garentied!

Shadowfox

I know I'm replying twice but I don't care!

If it would also help you I post my books on this website called WattPad.

It's also a free app!

You creat a free account and can post books one chapter at a time. Other users can then read AND comment on your work!

This also helps me out because if I leave something out or make something to complex people will tell me through comments. And if a book on the site gets enough reads and votes it will get PUBLISHED! You can also read others books and comment on there story's!

I have four accounts do to an embarrassing story.... But I can't get enough of it! Two of my friends and my mom are on there to!

And since there is instant messaging on there..... If you make an account if you arnt all ready on..... All you have to do is IM me and I can help you out with any questions!

Tom

Istar
YES, people with autism can write! My autistic cousin is the most creative person I've ever met. Keep writing, Jabrosky. :)

Gurkhal

Auror
Didn't know this about you Jabrosky but I think that you can write and write well. Never give up and keep writting!

One thing you could try however is to try and search out books by different author to see how they let their characters express different modes, feelings etc. And then you could try and bring those ideas over to your characters?