• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can autistic people be good writers?

Jabrosky

Banned
I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, which is on the higher-functioning end of the autism spectrum, and I'm worried that this might be a liability for an aspiring fiction writer like myself. One of the major problems is that stories are fundamentally about characters' development, and one of autism's defining characteristics is impaired social skills and ability to understand human nature. How can autistic people write flesh-and-blood characters if they barely have any intuitive sense of how real people think?

As one example, I have a hard time interpreting people's expressions if they aren't blatantly obvious. Subtlety is lost on me. I think this has impacted my characterization, as I've had more than one of my reviewers complain that my characters behave like exaggerated cartoons. Another result is that I have a hard time thinking of body language for my characters because I don't notice real people's body language.

I really want to prove to the world that autistic people are as capable of great artistic achievement as anyone else, because I don't like that society views us as pitifully handicapped, yet I fear that my autism may be an obstacle to creative expression.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
It is certainly a challenge but you already know that. If you can tell a story, you can write.

Although not as drastic as your challenge, all writers face difficulty with some aspect of the creative process.... For me it's convincing dialogue that I have to labor over.

I have a friend who has published several award winning fantasy books. He is dyslexic. He overcame that difficulty. You can as well.

I have Asperger's myself and know what is it like. But I think that it is possible for people like us to become good writers. If you want my advice, take a few acting classes. They helped me understand people's facial expressions and body language.

I know it can be difficult and I'm still having trouble, but don't let it effect your work. Here is something that helps me, don't think of yourself as an autistic writer, but think of yourself as a writer who happens to be autistic.

Hope I can help.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I would like very much to think that the answer is yes. I have Aspberger's myself, and it's been my dream for many years to be a successful novelist.

gavintonks

Maester
Is it safe to say you only have these concerns after you were diagnosed?
What the hell matters what doctors think or diagnose, what matters is if your readers buy.

There are 2 books I read from people who came through the diagnosed system and wasted years of their life in institutions until someone enabled them and their books are terrifying.
Considering the limitations other people impose on you is never a solid reason for success - do just once what others say you cannot and you will never listen to their limitations again

gavintonks

Maester
However true autism is doubtful and there creativity is usually in numbers and many are obsessively violent, and are unable to communicate, and die young.
Being fixated on change that unsettles your entire psyche doe snot bode well for a creative process.

I have had some engagement with mental and physical disabilities working with horse riding for the disabled in order to assist people, but severe cases and very difficult to handle, as they are extremely strong, and the repetitive violence a friends son has already kicked a hole in the wall next to his bed, bleeding and pain have no reason to stop the behavior.

It is like the brain is stuck in a loop and the actions are just repeated, until the brain resets however long that may be

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Considering the limitations other people impose on you is never a solid reason for success - do just once what others say you cannot and you will never listen to their limitations again

Good advice, Gavin. I've been doing a lot of things others said I couldn't do since literally the day I was born. Long story, don't want to hijack the thread with it.

gavintonks

Maester
start a new one would be interesting to hear - but life is full and people have written books one word at a time so success is in the finished story not what society wishes you to be

Queshire

Istar
huh, between Jabrosky, Xenodeus, Ireth, and myself, that's four people with aspergers on this forum. Maybe it's just cuz I came from a small town, but that strikes me as a lot.

I personally never use my Aspergers as an excuse. Well, that's not entirely true, but I never use my Aspergers as an excuse to myself. Oh sure it makes things harder, that's undeniable, but all my failings are just that. MY failings. They're the result of me being lazy or afraid, but not because of my Aspergers.

Honestly, I think the benefits to Aspergers outweigh the drawbacks.

First, I, and I say this in the humblest and most modest way possible, am BLOODY BRILLIANT. Logic, numbers, computer programing. These things come easy to me. I see neuro-typicals having trouble with a math problem in one of my classess and I just want to go "What the HELL is wrong with you!? This is so easy a middle school student can do it! HOW CAN YOU NOT GET THIS!?"

Second, I am also BLOODY CREATIVE. I read somewhere that it's commonly thought that most people with Aspergers are uncreative. Let me tell you, that is complete and utter BULLSHIT. I can't tell you how many worlds I have built in my mind over the years. Now the problem is getting those worlds out of my noggin and for the world to see. Despite being brilliant, I am also very, very, lazy. I LOVE WORLDBUILDING. I could think of magic and races and countries until the stars fall from the sky, but taking all that world building and making a coherent story out of it? Eh, that's another matter.

Finally, the third benefit to Aspergers is how UTTERLY FOCUSED we can be. Honestly, I'm mostly talking from personal experience here, I haven't had much chance to compare notes with other people with Aspergers, but from personal experience there tends to be one topic or activity that people with Aspergers are absolutely obsessed with. I like to think of it as a Bailiwick, just because that's such an awesome word. We can litterally spend HOURS just researching whatever topic or doing whatever activity is our bailiwick, perfectly content and absorbing that knowledge like a sponge. These Bailiwicks can also change over time, for me I've been obsessed with Japan, Video Games, Webcomics, Writing, and Manga to name a few.

Personally I like to think of having Aspergers being like having all the classic traits of a Mad Scientist in real life, only not stuck with just science. I don't know how accurate it is, and I may just be making that comparision because Mad Scientists kick ass and it makes me feel good being compared to them, but I do think there's at least a glimmer of truth there.

I am a bit peeved at the misinformation or lack of information about aspergers in our culture. Despite being a type of Autism, it is on the very high end. People with Aspergers are mostly just regular people, only a bit.... weird, and even then there's people a whole lot weirder then us that are perfectly neuro-typical. I HATE it when we get treated like we're idiots or those people with what most people consider Autism. In particular, I was NOT a fan of how South Park protrayed Aspergers in the episode they did on it, though I acknowledge that I just have to grin and bear it like anybody else mocked on that show.

So, in summation; screw other people, ASPERGERS ROCKS!!!

EDIT: Personally I think this world would be a lot better place if Aspergers was the new neuro-typical.... : /

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
huh, between Jabrosky, Xenodeus, Ireth, and myself, that's four people with aspergers on this forum. Maybe it's just cuz I came from a small town, but that strikes me as a lot.
Wait a moment, the sword guy in the Research forum said in his opening post that he had Asperger's too. That makes five of us. Considering how rare the condition is in the general population, aspies may indeed be overrepresented here.

Jess A

Archmage
I've met a few people with Asperger's. They're great people and they are amazing to have conversations with.

Body language/facial language is something a lot of writers struggle with. However, you can research things that you don't understand and you may be able to express it in writing even if you can't always recognise it in other people. There are a lot of books on body and facial language. I think most writers need to read a book on body language. Somebody posted an article regarding body and facial language here on this forum somewhere - I apologise - I can't remember where.

SeverinR

Vala
As in all aspects of life,
When you have a weakness in one area, it will be made up in some other way.

Make it interesting, people will read it. Just because you can't read an expression doesn't mean the story will be bad.
You might make the expression totally obvious in your story, or you might not think of the expression at all.

There is no one aspect that has to be in a story.

Queshire

Istar
I may just be grumpy because I'm forced to be awake at this ungodly hour but do you mean "great people and amazing to have conversastions with" for somebody with autism or would you think the same thing if you didn't know they had Aspergers? Again, I doubt you meant it that way, and I blame my lack of sleep, but I HATE it when people hear we have Aspergers and go "oh you poor little thing" and pity us.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Queshire said:
I may just be grumpy because I'm forced to be awake at this ungodly hour but do you mean "great people and amazing to have conversastions with" for somebody with autism or would you think the same thing if you didn't know they had Aspergers? Again, I doubt you meant it that way, and I blame my lack of sleep, but I HATE it when people hear we have Aspergers and go "oh you poor little thing" and pity us.

Considering the tone of this entire thread is supportive in nature, I'm quite certain you're being grumpy.

Kit

Maester
Honestly, I think the benefits to Aspergers outweigh the drawbacks.
/

What he said.

I'm fairly sure I have mild bipolar disorder. Every once in a while, I find myself in a four-day-long sleepless frenzy of productivity. I stop to pee when I absolutely have to, but otherwise I'm working and I do nothing else. I could rebuild both Twin Towers from the ground up with my bare hands in those four days. I have no control over this phenomenon, but eventually I learned to recognize when it sets in, and consciously harness it for the forces of good. What can I get done in those four days? Hell, what CAN'T I get done in those four days?!? It's a power to be wielded as I so choose, not something to allow to cripple me.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
@ Jobrosky. If you FEEL like your writing is lacking in some area, partner up with someone who is your opposite, maybe less technical but all about character interaction. If you can't find one on this site, maybe you know someone in your personal life who you could interview about people (a salesman would be a good choice). See while I am not a teribly technical writer, my vast life experiences as a social butterfly, troubled soul, and salesperson have weighted my writing heavily on the character development and interactions. I'm sure with a little effort you cn add the elements you feel are lacking in your work, and maybe offer an new perspective to someone who is struggling in another area.

We all have different abilities and that's the beauty of this sort of community, we share in each other's struggles and revel in each other's successes. Keep your chin up. It's just another opportunity to grow as a person and overcome.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I watched a PBS documentary about brain development. You have your highest potential as a young person, but don't have the capabilities to fully use your brain power so young because you don't have the neural pathways well developed enough to maximize it. When people age, they lose a lot of that potential by not learning new things. I think about the people I've known in my life, and it's quite clear that beyond school, many of them have not learned anything new. Most people take the easy road, improving on the things they know, but to truly keep your brain youthful, you must do the things which are difficult, learn an instrument or a new language in your 30s Sure, it's hard, but when you push through, you actually build new neural pathways and make your brain function better. There was a man in China who taught at a very rural school. With no budget, he constantly had to invent ways to teach his students, creating machines out of paper nd such. He was about 80, but doctors were amazed to find he had the brain of a 40-year-old man because he had been USING it all the time to constantly be inventive. There's no denying that struggling and overcoming is the best thing you can do for your mind.

Sure, it's awesome that some people are experts in their field, sport, or art, but I'll just have to be resigned to never being an expert. Hopefully though, my years as a jack-of-all-trades, struggling to learn MANY things will help keep my brain young, giving me more years to complete what I want to do. I mean, I need all the help I can get, right?