• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can you make a living as a fantasy writer?

Chilari

Staff
I think the answer is to use online distribution - ebooks cost hardly anything to produce and very little to distribute. Selling one for a small amount - £1 or £2 - means that buyers will risk it if it's an unknown author, because it's hardly anything to spend, and means that the author gets a larger cut of the sale price because there's no money spent on printng. Then once you've sold a few, readers who liked it will recommend it to their friends because it's cheap and good, and then you can make some money from high numbers of low cost sales.

But as with any form of making money, I think it depends on several factors - skill, luck, publicity, but also going about things the right way.

I think the answer is to use online distribution - ebooks cost hardly anything to produce and very little to distribute. Selling one for a small amount - £1 or £2 - means that buyers will risk it if it's an unknown author, because it's hardly anything to spend, and means that the author gets a larger cut of the sale price because there's no money spent on printng. Then once you've sold a few, readers who liked it will recommend it to their friends because it's cheap and good, and then you can make some money from high numbers of low cost sales..

I'm going to look into that.. I think it's ironic though.. Bry's book which is really doing horribly... is a big seller out your neck of the woods Chilari.. though I hate that the publisher has the price so high.. it's like 20 us dollars... I dunno what that is out there but I know it's more then the book should cost.. and he thinks so too.. Which is why we are looking for a new publisher so we can republish Winter Night Falling and get the rest of the series out.. If you guys know any good ones let me know

Ophiucha

Auror
Could you? Absolutely. J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer, Christopher Paolini, and numerous others make a living off of writing fantasy. Should you rely on it? Absolutely not. For every SMeyer or Rowling there are a hundred people who never see more than their forward for a book. Unless you can write and publish a book a month, you couldn't live on that.