• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Chain Novel

So, for a class we read about the concept of the "chain novel" (the class discussed how the law is like a chain novel so it was not really about writing). Well it got me thinking what if we wrote a chain novel, just for kicks and giggles.

To be clear a chain novel is where one writer writes a chapter, gives that chapter to the next person, that person then writes a chapter and gives it to the next person, the next person reads the two prior chapters and then writes the third chapter, and so on until the book is finished.

Of course, this concept needs some refinement, but I think this could be a fun challenge of some sort. We'd have to create characters first and decide genre, but I think this could be doable.

What do you all think?

Helen

Inkling
I and a bunch of writers wrote a sitcom, in a similar way. You certainly do get some novel stories!

Worked better deciding what the overall arcs and acts were all about and then parceling them out.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
It could be interesting.

What would your ultimate goal be for the work? Just let it sit in a drawer or publish it (presumably after polishing and editing)?

I dunno, I suppose the goal would depend on the group, but whenever I write something it is to get the thing published.

Russ

Istar
It sounds like an interesting idea.

Let me ask a dumb question though.

How do you avoid a clash of styles/visions between chapters? Or is the clash of styles/visions the whole idea?

Good question, I think in the beginning visions would rub against each other, but as the book progresses we'll get an idea for each character and the plot and we'll be able to establish a clearer vision, which could be applied to earlier chapters via revisions.

However to mitigate this we should at least have a clear understanding of what the end of the book should be. By that I mean what event when written signals this is the end of the book. However, I think we should allow the story character and visions to grow organically up to that point.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I've always thought that the fun part of this kind of project is to end your chapter by writing the character into an inescapable situation/twist and the next author has to figure out how to resolve it.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Depending on what else I got going on, I might be in for this. Doing NaNoWriMo at the moment; couple other projects I want to polish off before the new year.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Hope i am not late to the party but this sounds like a lot of fun! Admittedly i am still a beginner and university has me occupied quite a bit so that might get in the way.

I too am busy with school as of right now, and it is starting to ramp up for me. However, this has haunted my thoughts for a little bit and I was thinking I think with so many wanting to do it we could at least start spitballing. I was thinking the story needed to be something epic, with so many minds and stuff all coming together I think that we should have some room to play and epic fantasy provides exactly that. Thoughts?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Epics are universally beloved, so no problem with that. I am mostly thinking about how we should write this. Is there a single protagonist who we all project our ideas onto. Or are there multiple POV's and we all choose one to be our protagonist. Or we could all write third person. Might be early for that, though. Maybe we should start with choosing a genre and doing some minor worldbuilding.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'm in for epic. To get the ball rolling:

Who is our protagonist?
What is the significant situation?
What is the magic system?

Random thought: If we try to play this thing straight and serious, I think it will be way too difficult to pull off. What if, instead, we go over the top and zany? High tension in a high fantasy world. Lots of just crazy, crazy stuff happening.

I vote for Zombie Unicorns and Vampire Elves.

Note: I'm cool if everyone else wants to play it more straight and serious; I just thought the other would be easier given the nature of the collaboration.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I'm in for zany as long as we don't introduce a new magical creature every 5 sentences and at least try to keep the story relatively coherent.

I don't know. Zany could be fun. I almost want to see if we can toe the line between straight and zany, but that might be asking too much of us all. Let's start with a conflict. Usually epic fantasy, at least from my understanding deals with something either world changing or world ending. So let's start with that. Of course this presents the question of how to go about doing this. I am interested in writing something that is really world changing, like perhaps the introduction of magic into a society. The MC(s) will deal with this issue by either stopping the magic or by synthesizing magic into their society. What do you all think?