• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

character type part 2- naming magic users class

ok i am thinking having two type of wizards the regular magi and battle magi. the regular magi uses spell scrolls ,books and runes to cast and classed by elements. battle magi's are more physical magic like fire balls etc the thing is my magic user main protagonist is trained to battle magi but is so much more he is higher level than a battle magi he can use all magic and the knowledge of all magic both light and dark magic . he has one pupil white and one totally black he quite young but already experienced and high ranking in the dire wolves corp (mercs) is arch battle magi too much for a name /new class. he is the the first

Sorry, I am having trouble making heads or tails of this. What are you asking? It sounds like you are missing a lot, what is your plot, what story are you trying to tell?

well asking if giving one of my main character title like arch battle magi because he more than a battle magi what i am asking if the title bit much. i don't have plot yet i have two rough scenes and rough character info still under development

writeshiek33 said:
well asking if giving one of my main character title like arch battle magi because he more than a battle magi what i am asking if the title bit much. i don't have plot yet i have two rough scenes and rough character info still under development

I think it's a bit early for you to worry about that kind of thing. Putting the cart before the horse if I have ever seen it. Get a plot first.

TWErvin2

Auror
If it's part of the development of the world and culture, it may not be putting the cart before the horse, but certainly not something to focus on such that it delays development of the entire work.

My works have different types of spellcasters, based upon what they're trained in/type of magic they use: necromancers, enchanters, seers, etc.

And they do have titles, which are incorporated into the storyline. There isn't a chart in the text (although I have the 'rankings' based upon skill, knowledge and ability, listed in my notes--so I keep things consistent). Titles such as lesser enchanter, imperial seer, grand wizard, etc. do add some depth and provide the reader with some measure of a spellcaster's ability when they're introduced.

Beyone that, in my world, the magic cast affects the user in various ways. Enchanters become more and more susceptible to magics used on/against them, seers lose their physical sight, etc. What happens to necromancers as they become more powerful and accomplished, well, it ain't pretty.

All of that was decided upon before I actually began writing the first chapter. It got tweaked and refined as I wrote, but the outline and basics were there. Still, I didn't allow 'trying to get it just right before I began writing' to happen.

Ravana

Istar
Drop the "battle" and just call him archmage. Retaining the "battle" designation implies that he's limited. Or "grand mage," "high," "supreme," "master," etc.

Or simply don't bother: it doesn't seem to make much sense to create a "class" name if he's the only one in it. He might end up with a unique title, if someone wants to give him one–"Grand Battle Mage Supreme," "Battle Mage Extraordinary," "Magus General," or something similarly pompous ("Ipsissimus" ;) )–but not a class.

More colorfully: Archon, Aeon, Master of the [number] Ways, Squire of Light and Darkness, Balancer of Shadows, Juggler of Elements, Apotheion… could go on. Be creative. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Drop the "battle" and just call him archmage. Retaining the "battle" designation implies that he's limited. Or "grand mage," "high," "supreme," "master," etc.

Or simply don't bother: it doesn't seem to make much sense to create a "class" name if he's the only one in it. He might end up with a unique title, if someone wants to give him one—"Grand Battle Mage Supreme," "Battle Mage Extraordinary," "Magus General," or something similarly pompous ("Ipsissimus" ;) )—but not a class.

More colorfully: Archon, Aeon, Master of the [number] Ways, Squire of Light and Darkness, Balancer of Shadows, Juggler of Elements, Apotheion… could go on. Be creative. :D
that's what i kind of thought when i posted the tilte it was just thought of just that second will need to rethink it properly to fit his personality he quite young but he even has battle scars of sorts and yes he quite powerful but also limited in accessing the power, spells at one at time price you pay for a young mind with evry magic imaginable but

SeverinR

Vala
I would say a battlemagi (battlemage) Would be a title for a spell caster that focuses on attack and defense, regular mage would be able to help his fellow man with magic in every day life.
We have military focused people in our world, so a battle mage would be important. But would probably not be in a small town unless passing through or retired. Basically a walking artillary system.
The regular mage would be a benefit to anyone, the battle mage would be limited to the military.

I disagree with having a plot before planning. You need both before a story becomes real. Which ever comes first doesn't matter. Personally, if you make the magic system first, there is less chance of the magic system being twisted to meet the needs of the story. But as in life, the story is manipulated by the set rules of life.

I have written something then in editing I realize I broke a basic rule of the nature of the creature or magic. Which wouldn't be noticed if I made it up as I go.
Chicken or egg, not cart before the horse.

i think i'll go with battlemagi elite and so far as plot it will come as i develop other parts of other the world and characters. decided to have normal battle magi also trained in other non magic fighting skill. yes this guy is train in all that's why i need to make surevillian/s up to par and challenge not only to him but the whole group which i will di in time