• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

"Coming out"

Mtsky112

Acolyte
I am working on coming out of the proverbial closet. I have been writing stories since I was about five years old. Until this past year I have kept this part of myself hidden because of fears, that I am sure you all are familiar with, "I'm not good enough", "People will hate my work", "Me? A writer? Ha!". You know what? I am done with that, being afraid, coming up with excuses. My husband tells me "You're a writer so act like one."
First step: Say out loud to friends that I want to be a writer. Check
Next: Let someone, a real person, read my work. Check (only freaked out a....good amount)
Next: Utter the words "I am a writer."
Now: Start acting like one.

I am reaching out to the community to connect with other writers, other artists, other people that share a passion of this craft. Nice to meet you all.

Xaysai

Inkling
I spent my life teaching people to sell, and the single biggest thing people need to learn to overcome their fear of rejection is that if someone doesn't like what you have to offer: they are not rejecting you, personally.

Someone might challenge you on the way you choose to describe something, but that doesn't mean they think you're a horrible person, so what have you got to lose!

I think a browse through the Showcase forum will also show you that nobody here is going to be anything less than courteous and helpful, so you have absolutely nothing to fear.

Good luck, and welcome to the Mythic Scribes!