• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

cool kingdom names

JBCrowson

Troubadour
I'm looking for name ideas for the northern capital of my world which is similar to Scandinavia with a bit of a fantasy take
Try looking at a map of Scandinavia and getting a sense of how place names are constructed to invent your own or just modify slightly the name of a place whose name you like. People who know of the place you chose as a root may like your reference to a place they know.

Gurkhal

Auror
My native language is Swedish, as I know there's at least one more member who has on the forums. Tell me/us what you want your name to mean or the feel of it and I/we can probably help.

Otherwise here are a few names with rough translation, just for kicks.

Kungsstad - King's city
Järnholm - Iron Isle
Högmur - High wall
Gyllentak - Golden roof
Lagstämma - Kind of "gathering for legal purpose"
Kungsböte - "Royal warning beacon"
Drottningeke - Queen's oak grove
Oxhamn - Bull harbor

cheers
Try looking at a map of Scandinavia and getting a sense of how place names are constructed to invent your own or just modify slightly the name of a place whose name you like. People who know of the place you chose as a root may like your reference to a place they know.
thanks will do

My native language is Swedish, as I know there's at least one more member who has on the forums. Tell me/us what you want your name to mean or the feel of it and I/we can probably help.

Otherwise here are a few names with rough translation, just for kicks.

Kungsstad - King's city
Järnholm - Iron Isle
Högmur - High wall
Gyllentak - Golden roof
Lagstämma - Kind of "gathering for legal purpose"
Kungsböte - "Royal warning beacon"
Drottningeke - Queen's oak grove
Oxhamn - Bull harbor
thanks mate