• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Could my name deter potential readers?

Letharg

Troubadour
Hello fellow scribes. I do not know if this actually belongs under marketing but considering that the name I use for writing is very much a part of my future brand, I hope that I have arrived at the right place. Otherwise, please move it for me.

I am at the moment trying to decide what name I should use for my submissions online and for future blog and twitter accounts, as well as other writing related activities. My given name is Björn S. Jivenberg and considering I have chosen to write in English, I am afraid that the name will deter potential readers.

The problem I see with my name is that it is both very Swedish and that it contains one symbol that is not present in the English alphabet, “Ö”. My worry is that the name Björn would not fit so well on an English cover because most people would not even know how to pronounce it. (Phonetically it sounds somewhat like byurn). It might also instil doubt in the potential reader or editor as to the quality of the writing, as he/she will know immediately that I am not a native English speaker.

I was thinking of doing something like B.S.Jivenberg or BS Jivenberg (my first surname starting with S) So that I would use my two names first as initials and my full second surname as a writer. That was until some friends of mine related the B.S to bullshit and I realized that more people would get the same idea.

I might end up Björn S. Jivenberg anyway because I have not found any other good ways to play with my name and I do not think I would like to use a pseudonym. But I might consider a pseudonym if my name turns out to be enough of an obstacle.

What do you think? Would you read a book with the name on the back or would it make you doubt the quality of the writing?

Any thoughts on the subject would be helpful!

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Stieg Larsson's name didn't hurt him ...

I really can't help other than to give my opinion, which, in this case, pretty much applies only to me. When I encounter a new author, the name is so far down the list of considerations that ... wait, scratch that ... it's not even on my list of considerations. I literally cannot think of a time when the author's name has factored into my buying decision.

That being said, unless your books are humorous, I definitely would not go with BS.

Hope that helps.

Brian

My last name is Spanish/Mexican so this is something that I've also been trying to decide as well. I've also been considering publishing under a different family surname either the German "Litzinger" or the Swedish "Nelson" or "Thurson".

Honestly, if I saw your name it would make me want to pick up your book even more. My mother is 1/2 Swedish and I've always had a great fondness for the culture and people. Beyond that, I would assume that you have different views and opinions and I would be interested to see how your storytelling differs from American and British authors. It might gives your stories almost an exotic feel.

If you go with B.S. it would also catch my eye and I have a feeling that's a name people will remember :)

Personally I love your name. I would definitely pick up a book written by "Björn Jivenberg".
If you want something more American/British maybe go with something like "Brian Jivenberg"?

(Like mine) your last name is a bit long so I can see why you might want to shorten the name. I don't think Björn is an issue at all.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I'm not to worried about your name fitting on to cover but I am a little worried that [bad] search engine algorithms won't understand "ö" correctly or perhaps too literally. So if some one types in "Bjorn" you won't come up.
I'm sure that Google [and the other big players] will pick up the difference but I'm not so certain about the small site specific engines...
I think Björn S Jivenberg works fine.
In fact I'd use your full middle name.
[It didn't do Marion Zimmer Bradley any harm...]

Letharg

Troubadour
I guess I will be going with Björn S. Jivenberg for my writing name. Thanks for quenching my worries!

TWErvin2

Auror
I guess I will be going with Björn S. Jivenberg for my writing name. Thanks for quenching my worries!
I think that choice will not hinder you in the least.

For example, fantasy author Steven Brust's last name is often mispronounced by readers. Nevertheless, he's done very well as an author--in that his name hasn't appeared to have hindered his success.

In addition, it is easy for English speakers/readers (which appears will be your audience) to pronounce your name (or at least feel they have a fair grasp of it), just like Brust's.

Good luck moving forward!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I'm late to the conversation, but I also vote for using Bjorn (where the heck to I find special characters around here? anyways...). I love it. Now for me...I have a first name I don't like (Anita), and my husband's surname is Howitt, so those two names don't even match in culture, which was why I am "A. Howitt". Well, that and I'm writing a darker sort of fantasy and I'm still wary of readers not picking my stories because I'm female (the "Mary Lawrence" issue Mark Lawrence mentioned). I know a lot of people will say they'd be equally interested in reading a female writer as a male writer, but I'd just prefer my initial for "just in case". I'm not arguing any validity to the debate, but it worries me and if I can scratch that one little worry off my list, it makes me feel better...since i have plenty of worries about the stories themselves. :) Best wishes!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
@ Catholic Crow I love Litzinger! What a beautiful name. I sympathize with having a name that doesn't match culturally (given name with surname), so with my husband's very British surname, I'm just using my first initial, since my middle name is Marie and I NEVER use it for anything ever. Too common.

That's the thing...if i had to pick which I liked better, Anita OR Howitt, the surname wins because I think when I married him, I took ownership of it like I've never done for my given name. Not that I hate my given name, but I don't like it, especially for a book cover. It sounds childish to me, I guess.