• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cover design for "Lioness of Kell"

Graylorne

Archmage
Here is the final proof of the cover for my upcoming Fantasy Adventure "Lioness of Kell", for Y.A. & Older.
Design is by Ravven.

It is on purpose a very different style from my other books. :)

cover11.JPG

Laurence

Inkling
It's great artwork but are they the protagonists? Because I want to punch them in their faces! They'd make great antagonists...

TWErvin2

Auror
There is probably not much that can be done about it, but the lighting (sunlight from the back, fire from the front) and what's indicated on the faces and clothing and ship and ocean doesn't fit--highlighting, shadows and consistency. Otherwise, look sharp.

Graylorne

Archmage
I know what you mean, Terry. I can imagine lightning that is one of the problems with photo-manipulation. But I like the overall effect, and it didn't really bother me too much. It breathes adventure and magic, and I hope it appeals to a Young Adult audience.

Fyle

Inkling
The design is solid, while I do not find anything "wrong" with it, I do not find it interesting or unique in anyway.

Nothing that makes me say "Ya, I remember seeing that because..."

I do like boats tho!

Graylorne

Archmage
The design is solid, while I do not find anything "wrong" with it, I do not find it interesting or unique in anyway.

Nothing that makes me say "Ya, I remember seeing that because..."

I do like boats tho!

That was a conscious choice :)
My earlier covers were far more original, but the results weren't exactly satisfactory. So now I went for this style, by a popular cover designer. It's primarily meant for Young Adult, and Adults who read Y.A.; perhaps a more familiar style will help.

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Looks great I love how the fire changes colour as the flames and smoke rise. Having a strong female character prominent is also a nice touch. My one question would be, the title says "Lioness" which is female. If your main character is female would it be better if she was standing before him instead of being behind?

Graylorne

Archmage
Looks great I love how the fire changes colour as the flames and smoke rise. Having a strong female character prominent is also a nice touch. My one question would be, the title says "Lioness" which is female. If your main character is female would it be better if she was standing before him instead of being behind?

True, but she tops him by 50 cm...
I left the composition to my cover designer, and of her proposals this one had the most dramatic effect. Story-wise both characters are of equal importance and her original task was to protect him.

Hi,

I like it. The woman especially who looks suitably homicidal with the eyes. But a couple of minor points. First I'd think about adding a little of the glow from the sun to the water on the left of the picture and the side of the ship. The contrast seems too much to me. Also what's with the guy's skin being so white? Is that intentional?

Next the guy's right hand I see four fingers but no thumb. Presumably it's in his belt or something but it looks odd. And his left shoulder is missing. I understand that it's probably all about angles, but he doesn't seem quite turned enough to completely conceal the shoulder.

Cheers, Greg.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I'm curious how you went about working with your artist. Did you have a concept for the cover and describe that? Did you send an excerpt of the book? If so, how did you decide which excerpt to send? How many drafts of the cover did it take until you were content?

I'm beginning to think in practical terms about my own book cover and these questions have arisen.

Graylorne

Archmage
I'm curious how you went about working with your artist. Did you have a concept for the cover and describe that? Did you send an excerpt of the book? If so, how did you decide which excerpt to send? How many drafts of the cover did it take until you were content?

I'm beginning to think in practical terms about my own book cover and these questions have arisen.

This was the first time I really worked together with the artist; and it went great.

First, I sent an idea, of the two mc’s, their roles and looks, partners not lovers, etc; with islands in the background and a steam frigate in between.

Based on that, she made 5 colored concepts, with the characters in various poses.

When I had made my choice, I added I found the boy’s face too female after all (I had asked for an androgyne type), so she sent me 5 new faces to choose from.

After that, I was ok with the basics and we started fiddling with details, mostly the girl. No Final Fantasy type of sword, no nude armor but something sensible, no white eyes but blue, etc.

For every change I got a new image, till finally we were both content.

Then came the fonts, then the back flap details, and the definite concept was done.

After my last ok she did the final details and it was done, all in all in less than a week and about 15 emails from her side.

Graylorne

Archmage
Hi,

I like it. The woman especially who looks suitably homicidal with the eyes. But a couple of minor points. First I'd think about adding a little of the glow from the sun to the water on the left of the picture and the side of the ship. The contrast seems too much to me. Also what's with the guy's skin being so white? Is that intentional?

Next the guy's right hand I see four fingers but no thumb. Presumably it's in his belt or something but it looks odd. And his left shoulder is missing. I understand that it's probably all about angles, but he doesn't seem quite turned enough to completely conceal the shoulder.

Cheers, Greg.

No more changes possible, I'm afraid.

The white face is indeed intentional. It's an AltEarth world, and the boy's people are smallish, with a skin color ranging from paperwhite to dark gray, and hair between black and dark red, so I asked for a face as nearly #fffff as possible.