• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

crime narrative subplot

Mia

Troubadour
Hello,
i am writing an urban fantasy series following multiple POV and one of them is of an agent investigating an abnormal murder. This is a subplot, meant for the characters to connect at the end of the book. (the main, main character is a girl who ran away, the woman who now employs her, the killer and then the agent) in my first draft the resolution of her finding the killer goes seamlessly. is it too unbelievable and should i make her stumble along the way or should i kep it this way as to not distract the reader from the main story?
Thank you for your time and advice!

WooHooMan

Auror
What does the subplot have to do with the main story, exactly? Like, what does it contribute to the overall book?

Rules of thumb is that everything, including subplots, should contribute to the main story and be interesting on their own. And obstacles tend to make things more interesting.

Mia

Troubadour
it allows the reader to find out the background of the main character and the reasons for her situation at the begining of the book.

thanks WoohooMan

Last edited:

Mia

Troubadour
the story is of a girl running away from her very powerful and extremly toxic family. going so far as to cross the atlantic and changing her identity. With no skills she soons runs out of money and becomes homeless and has a bleak future in front of her. she attracts the attention of a vampire who sold her on the black market as he is poor.
this vampire is too poor to afford buying high quality blood and continues to hunt on the streets. the agent is in charge of investigating his last meal and her now disgraced mentor is put in charge of finding the runaway girl by her family. both team up as they learn the only way to find the girl is to catch the killer.
ultimatly they succeed in finding her but that doesnt resolve anything.. just the end of book 1 of a 4 book serie
FYI vampires are not out in the open. Humans are unaware of their existence

Last edited:

WooHooMan

Auror
This may be mildly off topic but it seems strange to me that you are concerned that the subplot in the first book wouldn’t be very interesting/exciting when, by your own admission, nothing of real consequence happens in the entire first book of this series as it is only the set-up for following books.

I’d almost recommend making this subplot the main plot of the first book and giving it a proper three act structure.

As a reader, I wouldn’t want to continue the series if the first book had a main plot that wasn’t resolved and a subplot without excitement or intrigue.