• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

DBA worth it for a Self Pubber?

Chilari

Staff
Which sounds better:

A. "Insert Company Name" Press
B. "Insert Company Name" Publishing

Depends what "Insert Company Name" will be replaced by. For example, using your name alone, I prefer "Brian Publishing" over "Brian Press" but "Foster Press" over "Foster Publishing". But if I was starting a publishing business using my last name, I like "Leiper Publishing" more than "Leiper Press".

As for the rest of what you've asked, I know very little about starting a business in the UK, and none at all about it stateside.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
"Press," to me, implies that you're publishing something regularly and in print, like a newsletter. "Hot off the presses!" I think Publishing is more accurate to what you're doing.

I've no idea about the details, sorry.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Depends what "Insert Company Name" will be replaced by. For example, using your name alone, I prefer "Brian Publishing" over "Brian Press" but "Foster Press" over "Foster Publishing". But if I was starting a publishing business using my last name, I like "Leiper Publishing" more than "Leiper Press".

As for the rest of what you've asked, I know very little about starting a business in the UK, and none at all about it stateside.

I think I'm more concerned at this point about the respective connotation of Publishing vs. Press.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think I'm more concerned at this point about the respective connotation of Publishing vs. Press.

It won't make a bit of difference to anyone. As far as most people are concerned the two are interchangeable, and no one is going to think "Press" means you have a printing press sitting around somewhere. So I'd just go with whichever has the most appealing sound to you.

Last edited:

Graylorne

Archmage
I just today launched the website of my own publishing business. To me it was easy as I already had a Dutch DBA equivalent for my internet gamesshop. I have to pay taxes etc as a small business already, so it's actually better to register this second business as well (it's a subsidiary). Over here it's a job for the Chamber of Commerce, which is in NL more of an official board than in the US, I believe.

So as it doesn't cost me anything extra, I am now Red Rune Books.

With six titles upcoming (I also retained my international rights for the Revenaunt-series that's being published in NL), it looks more professional, also because I'm paying for quality covers and editing as well, and use my own ISBN-numbers.

Whether Press or Publishing sounds better likely depends on what the rest of the name is. ;)

Why are you looking at an LLC? LLCs exist to limit your personal liability for business debts. In general, indie publishing companies are not going to run into a lot of debts, especially in the early years. I'm not sure what you'd be taking out loans for, or asking for credit for...

An LLC is *not* going to protect you from being sued; as sole proprietor, you're just going to be targeted instead.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Whether Press or Publishing sounds better likely depends on what the rest of the name is. ;)

Why are you looking at an LLC? LLCs exist to limit your personal liability for business debts. In general, indie publishing companies are not going to run into a lot of debts, especially in the early years. I'm not sure what you'd be taking out loans for, or asking for credit for...

An LLC is *not* going to protect you from being sued; as sole proprietor, you're just going to be targeted instead.

Truthfully, doing an LLC was less trouble, here in CA, than doing a DBA and less expensive than an S-Corp.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
You now have the privilege of communicating with the CEO of:

Sunshine Speculative Fiction Press

Cool, huh?

My plan for the logo is a broadsword crossed with a 50's style laser blaster over a sun.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Truthfully, doing an LLC was less trouble, here in CA, than doing a DBA and less expensive than an S-Corp.

If that's going to be your motivation, then really, we should get a few people together and call it "Mythic Publishing" or something.

Wow. Just...wow. Remind me never to move to CA?

In Vermont and Massuchusetts, the DBA form is one page long, simple enough that anyone can fill it out, and has about a $50 filing fee. In VT, you file with the Secretary of State, and in MA you file with the local town clerk's office.

That's it; done.

How the HECK is CA getting away with making it so hard to open a business???? I'd think that would be a nightmare for the economy.

Hmmm. Missing something. Only seeing a $26 filing fee for a fictitious name in LA. Add in the requirement to publicize the new business in a local paper for four weeks, and it's $51 - the cheapest four week ad I could find in the papers they recommend was $25 for four weeks.

So...yeah. About the same price for a basic business license and name registration as out here. Unless I am missing some sort of hidden fee?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Hmmm. Missing something. Only seeing a $26 filing fee for a fictitious name in LA. Add in the requirement to publicize the new business in a local paper for four weeks, and it's $51 - the cheapest four week ad I could find in the papers they recommend was $25 for four weeks.

So...yeah. About the same price for a basic business license and name registration as out here. Unless I am missing some sort of hidden fee?

Kevin,

The requirements for Riverside County, where I live is:

$58 filing fee
Publish my fictitious business name statement in a local newspaper for four consecutive weeks

So a little bit more apparently than LA county and a little less than the LLC route. Wasn't a lot more to do the LLC, though, and I didn't have to deal with running an ad.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'm a little confused, BW. What's that number referring to? Is that a typo?

According to the nice lady at Legalzoom, the state of CA charges a tax of $800/yr just to own a corporation. This fee applies whether the company makes any money or not.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
According to the nice lady at Legalzoom, the state of CA charges a tax of $800/yr just to own a corporation. This fee applies whether the company makes any money or not.

That's what I thought.

I was extremely confused because I assumed LA meant Los Angeles, and it makes no sense to set yourself up for those kind of taxes. But I guess your parents actually live in LA = Louisiana?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
That's what I thought.

I was extremely confused because I assumed LA meant Los Angeles, and it makes no sense to set yourself up for those kind of taxes. But I guess your parents actually live in LA = Louisiana?

Correct.

Sorry for the confusion.

I was reading about this in regards to being an Amazon Affiliate, and some of the workarounds people had. Some sites said that they had to do the $800/yr to register their out-of-state business as a foreign entity in California...