• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Divine Personalities

I'm in the process of giving all my gods/demons their own backstory and traits, mainly the demonic as they are much more of a focus of the plot. Here's some info-

-All demons were once gods who were banished due to using black magic and tried to overthrow the heavens

-All demons despise humanity with an eternal hatred (I know it sounds cliche but I have a good and original reason as to why they do)

-Even though the demons hate humans, they entice them to make pacts with them, and by doing so allows the demon to partially possess the human by infecting their soul wih their corruptive influence.

There are going to be eight demonic lords, and I want each to have their own flavor and color. But I don't want them to represent anything specific. No lord of fire, or lord of X because then I feel that restricts them and doesn't seem realistic.

So far I have a demonic lord who is known to be the strongest and has the mightiest army who enjoys killing. His realm is a massive fortress. He also forges the most terrible and cursed metals at his forge.

He has a brother who shares his taste for blood but posseses an extreme hate for humans, even toward those that serve him (usually thinking he will be a merciful lord). Instead of killing his victims, he longs to torture them. He teaches his followers to keep them alive, always at the point of death but never crossing over. He is considered weakest of the lords because he will often go for a long time without launching any attacks because he dwells inside his ruined tower, torturing his enemies and allies alike.

Known as the deciever, or he who is known by 1000 names, he treats life as a game to be played, where humanity as his pawns to be controlled. A poet and artist of sorts, he creates hundreds of religions that through subtle whispers, spreads to the mortal plane. Overtime, these meere stories evolve into fully organized religions worshipped across all continents. He masquerades as various gods of his own creation, commanding his followers to purge the world of the unworthy, often times having his own armies kill one another with them unaware they serve the same lord.

The last one that I have created is a lord of indulgence. Instead of appearing as an impossing and terrifying horror much like that his brethren do, he is beautiful in appearance. He entices humanity rather than butchers or enslaves them, promising all the desires of their heart, whatever it may be. The other lords despise him because he "flirts" with the enemy. It is not that he does not hate humanity, he just enjoys damning them for what they want most, only to eternally regret the cost.

So this is what I have right now, sorry I don't have any names yet. What did you think of them so far? Any suggestions for new ones? And a specific question: I like my stories to be "realistic."

WooHooMan

Auror
It sounds just like the Christian mythos. Almost to the letter.

I think it's pretty alright so far but what I would suggest is to start with the backstory. For example, in my mythopoeia, there are three major characters. They ruled the first human nation so one was the king, one was a judge and one was a shaman. And then I built their backstories and personalities around their positions. Like I asked myself "what kind of being would be the 'shaman of the gods' and what kind of power would they need?"

In your story, who lead the demonic uprising? Why did the other demons support him and not some other potential ruler? Who did this leader recruit and why? Did they have abilities that the demon leader thought would be helpfully in taking over/ruling heaven? Did he have some kind of history with them? You have the end of the story (their present state) so flesh-out the beginning and the rest should basically write itself.

Last edited: