• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do I belong in Fantasy?

do i belong here i wrote a superhero trilogy ? not sure if you guys consider that Fantasy?

• yes its fantasy

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • no its not

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met barshstern
Good to have you here
I think Superhero tales can be fantasy if you think of them as fantasy
When you have field that is as wide as Tolkien, Lovecraft, Le Guin, Pratchett and Holt, [throw in Gaiman, Rowling and a dozen more] and it is hard to draw many solid lines.
Leap on in and enjoy.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Superhero stories seem to me to be the Greek myths for a different age. I think that makes it fantasy.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I haven't written fantasy for months now, and no one has kicked me out yet. You're fine.

My initial impulse was to say that superhero stories are fantasy. Or at least, speculative fiction.

But I suppose non-superpowered hero stories might not be fantasy if there are no other fantasy elements. John Wick, Rambo, any number of Jackie Chan characters have extraordinary talent, but unless they end up fighting demons, monsters, or whatever, their stories probably wouldn't be considered fantasy. Maybe a purely Batman story, without other fantastic elements and not set in the DC universe, would even be considered something else than fantasy. (Adventure? Adventure-detective stories?)

Then there are potentially science fiction, not fantasy, superhero tales. For instance, an android, cyborg, or other technologically enhanced individual acting as a superhero, might be considered science fiction rather than fantasy. At least, these would also be speculative fiction, since we don't have such things with our current technology.

Otherwise, superhero powers would fall into a fantasy genre, I think. As I said, my normal impulse—how I tend to imagine superheroes—is to label them fantasy, even if some ridiculous bit of fantastical technology or science is used to explain their powers.

But we discuss lots and lots of things on Mythic Scribes that would apply to writing in any genre, so of course you belong here if you want to be here, regardless!

Last edited:

X Equestris

Maester
Superhero fiction occupies a weird place in speculative fiction.

With my stab at superhero fiction, I consciously took it harder toward the fantasy side (with some post-apocalyptic elements) The setting itself is a secondary world rather than anything in ours. Roughly an early Renaissance tech level instead of 21st Century. Virtually all powers are rooted in a magical catastrophe, as opposed to the wide variety of power sources a lot of superhero fiction has.

Somebody else might take a heavily science fiction route and have all the "powers" be some sort of technology. Yet another author might go deep into speculative horror territory (maybe something rather Lovecraftian for instance).

You could still pin all those as superhero fiction, though. I like what pmmg said: they're mythic heroes for a different age. That's part of why completely human costumed crime fighters like Batman or Green Arrow are in this category alongside so many powered characters. Superheroes have a certain legendary feel to them, and you just know it when you see it.

As FifthView said, lots of things talked about here apply to any genre. You'll probably get the most use out of this forum if your superhero work is more fantasy than science fiction, though.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
It can be useful to turn questions upside down. Where else might you belong, if not in fantasy? If everything else is a worse fit, then welcome to the world of fantasy!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Superhero stories walk the line between sci fi and fantasy, and in my opinion have come into their own genre. Ehh, whatever.

Welcome aboard!

Tavenor

Superhero fiction is definitely fantasy. I've always thought of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as much more fantasy than science fiction; so much of its mythos is inspired by magical elements, especially the "infinity stones" and all of Asgard.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Comic books are sui generis, their own genre. Books derived from the comic books belong to that same genre. It's not really recognized by the business, though. If I write a Star Wars book, then that's SF. If I write a D&D book, it's fantasy. Each book inherits its genre. It should be the same with superhero fiction. Maybe one day.

Meantime, though, this is really rather simple. Go to a bookstore and see where such books are shelved. Go to Amazon or iBooks and look at the categories. There's your answer.

Hi,

I don't see why not. Is a wizard or a knight in shining armour that different from a mutant or Batman?

The real question is, where do you think you belong? There's probably superhero fora out there and I'd say join them if you think they'll help. But many of the issues you'll deal with as a writer of superhero fiction are the same as more traditional fantasy writers have to wrestle with. So really just run through the threads and see what jumps out at you as useful.

By the way, I write traditional epic fantasy, urban fantasy, science fiction / space opera and steampunk. I don't feel that any of those genres are out of place here.

Cheers, Greg.

Thank you all so much for your comments. I really feel like my BREV Force have found the right genre now and yes, they are teens with human frailties who take on superhero status and powers to save their friends, community and ultimately the world. The sci fi elements are there, holograms, cloning, sentient computer beings, but when it comes down to it ...it is still a story of teens turned superheroes! But in a book, not a comic book...Do you think fantasy readers will accept superheroes coming out of the pages of a book?

I got very god reviews on goodreads but when going to reviewers they feel it is not their idea of a Fantasy for books, more for comic books or graphic novels.

I got very god reviews on goodreads but when going to reviewers they feel it is not their idea of a Fantasy for books, more for comic books or graphic novels.

I think it'll depend on the readers.

When I go to fantasy looking for a book to read, I'm more interested in the typical castles, fighters, magic users sort of fantasy set in a secondary world. I don't look for urban fantasy, superhero stories, steampunk, etc. This doesn't mean those aren't also popular subgenres; other readers might be looking just for that!

Also, ultimately, much will depend on how you package the book and market it, targeting an audience looking for just the sort of thing you write. Superhero tales in prose format seem to have become more popular fairly recently, and there are readers out there who look for it. One thing you can do is go to Amazon, find some superhero novels and novellas and read the reviews: you'll discover that, yes, there's an audience looking for it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
This goes for anyone who decides to write a book that does not fit neatly into existing genres: you will encounter puzzlement, derision, even hostility. You aren't going to be able to talk them into anything. If the story is good, and somehow garners attention, reviewers will slap labels on it. If you're lucky, maybe they'll even invent a new sub-genre name for it, but that's not the way to bet.

When sailing uncharted waters, one must be prepared for storms.