• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do I belong in Fantasy?

do i belong here i wrote a superhero trilogy ? not sure if you guys consider that Fantasy?

• yes its fantasy

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • no its not

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
I think it'll depend on the readers.

When I go to fantasy looking for a book to read, I'm more interested in the typical castles, fighters, magic users sort of fantasy set in a secondary world. I don't look for urban fantasy, superhero stories, steampunk, etc. This doesn't mean those aren't also popular subgenres; other readers might be looking just for that!

Also, ultimately, much will depend on how you package the book and market it, targeting an audience looking for just the sort of thing you write. Superhero tales in prose format seem to have become more popular fairly recently, and there are readers out there who look for it. One thing you can do is go to Amazon, find some superhero novels and novellas and read the reviews: you'll discover that, yes, there's an audience looking for it.
Thanks so much for your comments- it helps to give me some direction.

This goes for anyone who decides to write a book that does not fit neatly into existing genres: you will encounter puzzlement, derision, even hostility. You aren't going to be able to talk them into anything. If the story is good, and somehow garners attention, reviewers will slap labels on it. If you're lucky, maybe they'll even invent a new sub-genre name for it, but that's not the way to bet.

When sailing uncharted waters, one must be prepared for storms.

I wrote this book for my kids who wanted to play video games and not read so I used their love of superheroes to develop a story they would read. Along the way I got into talks with Marvel and decided to write the full trilogy - so now I need to find the audience...and find open minded people that will look at this as a superhero Fantasy and give Code 47 to BREV Force a chance … and want to read and review. I appreciate the comments.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
One suggestion: when dealing with a hard-to-categorize piece, try the "if you liked X" approach. Find other books that have elements of what yours delivers, then cite those in your marketing copy. Potential readers need some kind of orientation.

Also, if you self-published, make sure your sample is easy to get to (without a bunch of acknowledgments and prefatory material), so the prose itself can make the sale.

Try for interviews. If your work needs a bit of explaining, that's the place to do it.

Finally, hone your blurb and your elevator pitch until they're knife-edge sharp. A strong hook can pull readers past their uncertainty.

One suggestion: when dealing with a hard-to-categorize piece, try the "if you liked X" approach. Find other books that have elements of what yours delivers, then cite those in your marketing copy. Potential readers need some kind of orientation.

Also, if you self-published, make sure your sample is easy to get to (without a bunch of acknowledgments and prefatory material), so the prose itself can make the sale.

Try for interviews. If your work needs a bit of explaining, that's the place to do it.

Finally, hone your blurb and your elevator pitch until they're knife-edge sharp. A strong hook can pull readers past their uncertainty.

Thanks the comments have been very helpful - I am new at social media and have been turned away a lot for reviews as it has been hard to establish a superhero concept that is not a comic or graphic novel. People who have given Brev Force a chance have given me thumbs up and continued to read on in the trilogy... but it is an uphill fight. thanks for making me feel welcome and sharing ideas. Do you know of reviewers that might be open to Fantasy that is not castles, dragons and the like?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Have you considered looking at the MG and YA markets? Those folks take all kinds of stories. Sort of 'if you liked Percy Jackson, you'll like this'

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I'm going to agree with the others and tell you that you definitely belong in speculative fiction, with us! In fact, you're not the only person I've seen over the years on this forum who has a super hero concept for their work. Welcome aboard!

As to reviewers, you're going to have to go case by case and see what they are willing to read. Reviewers can be hard to come by on a good day, as they are often overwhelmed with requests and have a serious backlog. Get into social media and the various writers groups out there, and you'll find who is actively looking for books to review. You sometimes don't even have to be a writer specific to that group's genre. I'm on a wonderful Facebook group called SciFi Roundtable, and I primarily write urban fantasy. SciFi Roundtable

I am in a few fantasy groups in FB but didn't know about this one - I will check it out thanks. are you gaining an audience for your books?

Have you considered looking at the MG and YA markets? Those folks take all kinds of stories. Sort of 'if you liked Percy Jackson, you'll like this'

Code 47 to BRV Force deals with college kids so there are more adult type topics addressed than I think are appropriate for MG - YA or NA are more the targets and even there is it more upper age teens and college students. It's hard to find that particular audience, especially for me … I am not yet good on social media

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
That's fine. I was just suggesting marketing first to the age group and secondarily as the genre, in a case where there's not an easy and obvious fit for the genre.

For comparison, my last book has a woman in her mid-teens as the protagonist, but I would not try to sell it as YA because it's so obviously historical fantasy. If I went the YA route, I'd have to do a bunch of 'splainin'.

That's fine. I was just suggesting marketing first to the age group and secondarily as the genre, in a case where there's not an easy and obvious fit for the genre.

For comparison, my last book has a woman in her mid-teens as the protagonist, but I would not try to sell it as YA because it's so obviously historical fantasy. If I went the YA route, I'd have to do a bunch of 'splainin'.

I do appreciate your comments and you gave me things to think about . So is Adult fantasy more your genre? Do adults want to read about mid teen? This is where I am having issues. And if you are targeting Adults how do you reach that audience?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Ha, well, reaching an audience. Erm. Ahem. You see ....

Neither of my books have sold even a hundred copies, so I cannot say my marketing has been effective. Adult fantasy is definitely my genre--I do not know how to write to an age group and am not entirely sold that it's a desirable goal, except perhaps for grade school age. But that's a separate rant. I sometimes joke that my target audience is OA (Old Adult).

Will adults want to read about teens? The great thing about mass markets is that no matter how narrow the niche, there are thousands who will want to read it. The game is not to figure out whether or not they exist, the game is figuring out how to reach them. See above.