• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you mess with computer screen orientation?

Devora

Sage
I know most modern writers probably use landscape orientation on their computers. But I'm curious which writers have tried using their word processor using portrait orientation on their monitors

What was your experience?

(Edit: i meant physically rotating the computer monitor)

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I did not do this but many where i worked did. I did not care for it and it occasionally added support calls. But each their own i guess.

Id not do this if i had a single monitor. Many applications are made expecting you are landscape.

I sometimes use my iPad for writing notes with, and that can be flipped either way, and some modern laptops have touch screen and can be flipped, you wouldn’t be tempted by using something like that if you prefer this orientation??

Miles Lacey

Archmage
I only have a mobile device so when I write anything both the device and the word document programme I'm using is portrait. The only time I use landscape is for watching videos or TV.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
When I ran dual screen, yes, I did this for a while on the second monitor. I've since migrated to the Macbook for my writing, and therefore landscape. On my desktop, I run too much Photoshop and Audition for portrait, and I don't really think it was that useful to me, but it was fun.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I do something akin to it, but I'm just using one monitor. I write in Scrivener, and I use the duo document display mode that splits the writing area in two, so I'm displaying the story text on one "screen" and notes, etc., on the other.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
At work, I have a three-screen setup. Two are traditional landscapes monitors and my main screens, one above the other, but for the third, I have turned to portrait orientation. This gets used for really long Excel data sets or email/Teams messages. You can see a lot more of the conversation in email or Teams, so I can have it sitting there sort of being ignored until I have time to read the whole story.
All the screens are the same resolution and ratio [16:9]. The two stacked monitors work great, but my only tiny bugbear [and this is a really first-world problem :whistle:] is that the portrait monitor is just a little too short to keep things square. I can either keep it aligned with the top or bottom of the stacked screens.
THE HORROR!!!! :giggle: