• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you think my power system is original?

So, I have an idea about Pokémon inspired power system. No that people catch monsters with powers and fight with them, but humans themselves were granted Pokémon-like abilities. If you are into Pokémon you know there are 18 types (Normal, Fire, Water, Grass, Flying, Fighting, Poison, Electric, Ground, Rock, Psychic, Ice, Bug, Ghost, Steel, Dragon, Dark and Fairy), so there will be 18 types of techniques people will use. (I say techniques because it’s more of a element bending from Avatar mixed with magic from Black Clover and not pure magic or pure bending) Some game mechanics like type effectiveness or abilities will also be adapted and explained in some way. So, what do you think? If you think it’s good idea I will post another thread with further explanations and details!

To answer your initial question of ‘originality’, I would have to say, no, seeing as you’ve taken heavy inspiration from Pokémon and avatar.

But is the concept of originality important to you for your project?

As to feedback on the power system itself obviously hard to tell what you want to use it for, to my mind you’re creating a game rather than writing a fantasy story?

So it’s difficult to give you a rounded answer here as to how it would work. If you want to use this system to create a game then it would be appropriate, for a plot for a story, there’s probably too much going on, and either way it’s how you tell your story as to the success of the magic system. For example I’ve read some fantasy novels that have a convoluted or nonsensical magic system that still ‘work’ because of the skill of the storyteller. Games have more hard and fast rules because that’s usually the whole point.

That’s really interesting. So you are telling me this power system is too much “combat oriented”? Also, I should’ve wrote “not overused” instead of “original”. Or is it overused too?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I dont know how you ask if its original, and say it was pokemon inspired in the next sentence, but...

I think its as good as any if you are trying to build a magic system. In writing fiction, I am not sure the real value of having a system that could be transferred easily to a game. Maybe if a bunch of supporting products are to follow.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Seems I kind of repeated Finch....But I had an office meeting interrupt me :arghh:

I dont know how I would know if its too combat oriented, there is no information suggesting stuff. Pokemon is combat oriented.

Overused or not is not really an issue. The issue is, how does it fit into the story. If the story needs it, then its detail is important. Without knowing anything of your magic system, if you were to say the grass wizard was ineffective against the steel one, that would make sense on its face. Probably would not be steel though, more like metalics. Steel is an alloy.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...there is nothing wrong with posting it in this thread....

My issue is with story. A great magic system does not a story make. If one is strongly focused on the magic system, I am going to ask 'What does this do for your story?"

It might be the story needs all of that defined, it might be it does not. Many people post their world building, or characters, of magic systems here, and they get reviewed. But I tend to think one is looking too hard at the trees and not forest with that. Stories are about all of it. Too much spend on one, and the story seems to take a back seat.

If you post the system up, you will get a lot of comments about it, and that may be helpful to you. And everyone here likes fantasy stuff, so.... As some point people will ask about the story that its for instead.

Hope that makes sense.

Queshire

Istar
So I'd say you have the decent bones of a system here. I'd suggest not limiting yourself to the types that are used in Pokemon, and consider other ways that the elements can interact with each other beyond being super effective, resistant or so on.

The interesting thing about originality is that it doesn't matter if you do something really well.

Avatar has a very cliche magic system. It's just standard elemental magic with some martial arts thrown in. If before Avatar you would have asked if that was original it would have been a very definitive no. Why do people then consider it such a great magic system, to the point where it has become an example people refer to? Because it fits. It fits both the story, and the world. The magic people have access to determines part of their culture. It's integrated in each part of society. It's not just slapped on as an afterthought. Same with the story. Without the magic system, there would be no story.

So take that as a lesson for your own magic system.

Seems I kind of repeated Finch....But I had an office meeting interrupt me :arghh:
Bad office meeting. Bad, Bad meeting...

So I'd say you have the decent bones of a system here. I'd suggest not limiting yourself to the types that are used in Pokemon, and consider other ways that the elements can interact with each other beyond being super effective, resistant or so on.
Well, I mean I’ll do a lot of work adapting this system for my story and changing a lot of things. Of course “flying” magic sounds bad so I’ll change it to “air” etc.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Just a comment on the pokemon system, which is I know there system is like everything is powerful against two things, and two things are powerful against it. Like water beats fire and grass, and ice and wind beat water or somesuch.

I don't think that really should pan out. While its true water puts out fire, hot enough fire evaporates water. Its not that one is stronger, it just about which brought more to the game.

Just a comment on the pokemon system, which is I know there system is like everything is powerful against two things, and two things are powerful against it. Like water beats fire and grass, and ice and wind beat water or somesuch.

I don't think that really should pan out. While its true water puts out fire, hot enough fire evaporates water. Its not that one is stronger, it just about which brought more to the game.
Bruh, I’ll leave this here just so you know
2048px-Pokemon_Type_Chart.svg.png

Well, say what you want about Pokémon but it was made for children. Perhaps consider making the magic system more sophisticated if your intended audience is adults.

I was there in the nineties when it was the in thing to be into, and it’s all come round again, much to my enjoyment. Pokémon gold on gameboy be still be my beating heart…but it was made for children, as in it’s not a sophisticated magic system. Sophisticated and complicated are two different things.

I was there in the nineties when it was the in thing to be into, and it’s all come round again, much to my enjoyment. Pokémon gold on gameboy be still be my beating heart…but it was made for children, as in it’s not a sophisticated magic system. Sophisticated and complicated are two different things.
My first Pokémon game was Emerald! I love it so much! Regarding sophistication… I mean I’ll do my best)

roserosered

Acolyte
Humans with pokemon-esque magic sounds pretty original in its own way. perhaps their could be "types" focused around more abstract concepts or more specific concepts if you're willing to get weird? Perhaps non-combat magic could be explored and how it shapes everyday society.

Example: You could have a "light" type humanmon who specializes in skills based around radiance and photons... but also certain humanmons who have more specfic light-based specialties, like electric light, moonlight, spiritual light (think angels and their halos) and so on. I love settings with weird specific powers if you can't tell.