• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Feedback on my power system?

There used to be a whole pantheon of gods, but one day, nobody knows how, the gods themselves died. Now, on mount olympus, the corpses of the gods lay dead and decaying, horrible insects grow fat off of their flesh, the blood of the gods fueling their power as the monsters known as fames.
lHdotQ54AoJULd5Npn_jbcqMNj-ykBPq2D_hokgZV-TSwWkZI_xVBv88uURAR8vlSAGrGMUGSmsuVW9aMcpGhpH6tWamrkfAtN9A16FV-AZsD4e85SsBi6sSvCiktXjnhpZbqRzeAyBWNHqQrTk_W0g

The fames aren't the only ones that can drink the blood of the gods, humans can also consume the blood to gain great power, the blood, known as golden ichor, or just ichor, can cure diseases, grant superhuman speed, strength, and stamina, and even grant special supernatural abilities depending on the god that the blood was taken from. Ichor is a rare commodity, usually only available to the rich, who pay people to get it, or those brave and strong enough to get it themselves, some people have made a business going to olympus and gathering ichor, it is a dangerous line of work, as the fames, powerful from the vast amounts of ichor they consume on a daily basis, will attack anybody trying to steal their food, these brave and strong people are called the Golden, named after the golden ichor that they risk their lives for. An experienced Golden will have consumed a large amount of ichor themselves, further attributing to their strength and allowing them to climb higher up Mount Olympus, where the more powerful gods lie, and by extension, the more fames their are.
kYmjZIrJHSPX4c9UQOMwTS0egB5LLqiG7Du6cz90rqiyNMPdPAdhtKcLfCbttEncs5EnJjV_srCdDklRFppaSA0CO9UKgyyvGtQqZGVOR9BAEDeWI2zeK4yoWjTrrUoGWcH1UafiMwdUhTmsIz8s2NY

The Golden are all skilled fighters, some vary in base strength in abilities, but generally, a Goldens power is measured in the amount of Ichor that they have consumed, weighted by which god is was taken from, for example, 1 liter of the Ichor of Zeus is worth 12 times as much as the Ichor of Dionysus, which small amounts are used in various types of expensive wines. That being said, consuming any amount of Ichor can great power, though in the case of Dionysus, the blood is more like a drug, granting instant pleasure without any inherent addictive qualities besides simply wanting more because of how good it is, still, if a large enough concentration is consumed, even the Ichor of Dionysus can grant power.
X1azJIjH9DRQg36ApcFOWWwCnK4C1FY7qumfqqi0M2R0I-j-aNmUijlgAtT5N196Y_WE0T5oGs_coeQJBKpoqgejZavItzPG1Aorr3Q2V3FN9vgpkBJXA9noOrTVKbzqz7d_VrlJ_lxkuOIB47m33wU

The most prized Ichor of all is the ichor of Zues, which grants immense power, including control of the weather, electricity, and wind. Mixing Ichors together can create strange hybrid powers.
VIoFwG0OE4sN2JGjIvkz3loJUfYj5XLL9xwsmjI4P1v7jMnCu8KsF64xAckL1aUyDJ1wB1CIi3Uwr5dLeWcyZLFJBfudxwqcuJF8cuJPxgoDyhir4ka7XC6U4BbYpU16s4F-6F7H2uNp0FhmJoOHhsw

Queshire

Istar
Sounds good. It has everything you want from a power system; easy to understand but builds into complexity with things like the hybrid powers. It even has built in conflict. My only suggestion would be to keep things vague when comparing the powers from the different gods. Sure, having Zeus be the strongest is reasonable, but someone could do a lot of damage if they got the ability to induce madness from Dionysus.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think the concept is cool but what would stop someone from taking it all or carrying zues body away?

And where do i buy some Aphrodite?

Gurkhal

Auror
Pretty cool idea.

One question I do have is why the Golden sastisfy themselves with merely collecting ichor for others rather than using their access to the ichor to make themselves as powerful as they can and take over the mortal socities below Olympos?

Also what kind of society do humans exist in beneath Olympos?

Rexenm

Inkling
It reminds me of the love hate relationship you get in bars. One day you are the hero, next day all sorts of larks exist, to thwart you. But if you are quiet, and old, then maybe you can manage the kids, who play their metal tunes, to the drowning of one’s sorrows.

I think the concept is cool but what would stop someone from taking it all or carrying zues body away?

And where do i buy some Aphrodite?
The gods are very large and nobody could take them, mount olympus in this universe is so big that is not considered an actual mountain, it is considered its own small continent, with the gods being like mountains themself.

Makeup brand Anthos is famous for putting 1% aphrodite Ichor in their products.

Sounds good. It has everything you want from a power system; easy to understand but builds into complexity with things like the hybrid powers. It even has built in conflict. My only suggestion would be to keep things vague when comparing the powers from the different gods. Sure, having Zeus be the strongest is reasonable, but someone could do a lot of damage if they got the ability to induce madness from Dionysus.
Thank you, and yes, even Dionysus Ichor can make you very powerful, but it takes larger amounts to get you there.

Pretty cool idea.

One question I do have is why the Golden sastisfy themselves with merely collecting ichor for others rather than using their access to the ichor to make themselves as powerful as they can and take over the mortal socities below Olympos?

Also what kind of society do humans exist in beneath Olympos?
The Golden do use Ichor to increase their power, and several HAVE attempted to take over society, but as powerful as they are, one Golden cant take down an entire city full of armed gaurds unless they are very powerful, and a group of Goldens all looking to increase their power are bound for betrayal and treachery, some cities are run by Golden tyrants, but only one fullscale societal takeover has happened, and the Golden Empire lasted about 3 weeks. The Society that the humans live in is similar politically and to ancient greece, but with several geographical changes that alter it, as well as more advanced technology, with rudimentary firearms beggining to be used such as muskets and flintlocks. There is no country, like ancient greece, everything is divided into city-states each with there own ruler, (take for example Athens, whose rulers consume Athena Ichor to be wiser and make better decisions for Athens).

I think the insects idea is pretty interesting, but would you clarify what actually happened to the Gods? It would be strange to have a Godless world but still have their powers, to me anyway, one can’t exist without the other. Is the the ichor therefore the only physical thing left of the Gods? What then is the belief system in your world?

Is there an aggressor, a group of individuals who steal ichor to use as a weapon? Do the goldens only collect the blood much like beekeepers or do they have any other purposes in that society?

Can these insects just all be killed by the goldens and then they wouldn’t be needed anymore and ichor could run freely?

Rexenm

Inkling
Was there some kind of crime committed by the gods? Was that the reason they died off? Was it Ichor?

I think the insects idea is pretty interesting, but would you clarify what actually happened to the Gods? It would be strange to have a Godless world but still have their powers, to me anyway, one can’t exist without the other. Is the the ichor therefore the only physical thing left of the Gods? What then is the belief system in your world?

Is there an aggressor, a group of individuals who steal ichor to use as a weapon? Do the goldens only collect the blood much like beekeepers or do they have any other purposes in that society?

Can these insects just all be killed by the goldens and then they wouldn’t be needed anymore and ichor could run freely?
The gods are like mountains in size, the corpses remain, but only the ichor grants power, in order to retrieve ichor, you must travel deep into the veins, which are like caves, to find resevoirs of ichor, what actually happened to the gods is a major debate, which ties into belief systems, with most people believing that the gods are gone and that only the ichor left is keeping it running, this leads many to also worship a figure know as the godkiller, it is exactly what it sounds like, it is believed by worshipers of the godkiller that the godkiller slayed the gods to halt nature and end the world, but that those that worship them will move on to the next world, and there are several people that use Ichor as a weapon, heck, its what MOST people use it for, and the fames are too numerous, and repopulate too fast to kill all of them off.

Was there some kind of crime committed by the gods? Was that the reason they died off? Was it Ichor?
What actually happened to the gods is a major debate, which ties into belief systems, with most people believing that the gods are gone and that only the ichor left is keeping it running, this leads many to also worship a figure know as the godkiller, it is exactly what it sounds like, it is believed by worshipers of the godkiller that the godkiller slayed the gods to halt nature and end the world, but that those that worship them will move on to the next world. What actually happened was that the gods simply died right on time for new gods to take their place, those that consume ichor slowly ascend to godhood in there own right, until new gods are born to rule for the next millenia, the fames are simply a test of the worthy.

Also, what happened truly to the gods is that they died so that succesors would take their place, those that consume ichor slowly ascend to godhood, a new generation to rule for the next millennia. The first generation of gods was basic elements that mortals had learned to harness to ascend to godhood themself, and the gods to come have been slowly mixing them into more complicated hybrids like a goddesd of wisdom, or god of death, but perhaps someone (wink wink nudge nudge protagonist) can relearn the original elemental ways, and repurify the bloodline, or ichorline, of gods.