• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you think this was poor scripting?

I was watching Clash of the Titans (the new one) and if you havn't seen it, that's alright. But fir this thread's purpose, just understand that in the movie, mankind was rebelling against the Gods. They were starving them of their prayers and destroying their statues and monuments. But didn't they ever think of what would happen in the afterlife? I mean, in this movie the Gods are real, and the people know it. I just don't understand how you can spit in the face of a God that will keep your immortal soul for all eternity. I know this is "just a movie" but it really irritated me. Your thoughts?

Maybe the hope was that by depriving the gods of their worship, they would die. No gods to punish, no punishments. That would be how I would write that.

Sent from my Blade using Forum Runner

Ravana

Istar
Haven't seen the new one, but I assume they're still working from the same Greek mythology base. If so, remember that except for a vanishing few heroes who receive divine favor (and are usually of half-divine parentage to begin with), everybody goes to Hades when they die. Again, a few are singled out for punishment due to exceptional bad behavior during their lives; the majority basically just stand around and do nothing for eternity. So from that point of view, most people have nothing to lose, as what they do will make little or no difference to their afterlives.

That having been said: I doubt the makers of the movie were even aware of such details, let alone gave them a passing thought. I'd be seriously surprised if even once during the entire production someone said "Hey, what effect is this going to have on their afterlives?" So in that sense, yes, it's poor work: it's something that should have been considered, even though there's an available answer that would have allowed them to plow ahead without changing anything.

It's a good point, and one I've brought up repeatedly: if the gods are real, and people know they're real, it changes everything–or at least ought to.

It's a good point, and one I've brought up repeatedly: if the gods are real, and people know they're real, it changes everything—or at least ought to.

Exactly! It would be one thing if their religion was jsut a cultural thing but the Gods were real in this so there's no arguing that.