• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does anybody sell real books?

Lorna

Inkling
I came on here to do my book shopping for September. I wanted to sample some fellow MS's work. But everything seems to be digital.

You see I have this habit of liking to read in bed. Which is most uncomfortable with a heavy old laptop on my chest. I know it's weird and bad for trees but I like to have real books and arrange them in order on my shelves when I've finished them...

My first book is in paperback but it's not fantasy. (My second book is speculative fiction but digital).

I try not to do any marketing on these forums but if you want to google the first book out of interest, it's called Mr Cleansheets.

TWErvin2

Auror
My novels are available in trade paperback. They're in a few stores, but not very many--you cannot walk into your average B&N and find a copy on the shelf, but they can be ordered at the store, or online.

Here's a link to the page on my website with ordering links/information:
Where Flank Hawk and Blood Sword are Available

I do mail signed book plates to readers upon request, even overseas from the USA. It is far less expensive than sending a signed copy, especially over seas, and I see you're in the UK whereas I am in the USA. For folks in the USA, I do send signed copies of my novel. More info on that can be found at my website.

Like you, Lorna, I have shelves of books, and one shelf with signed copies I've collected and read over the years.

Telcontar

Staff
Not yet, but I'm going to be offering my books through CreateSpace soon. Just need to get all the details worked out.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
My novels are available in trade paperback. They're in a few stores, but not very many--you cannot walk into your average B&N and find a copy on the shelf, but they can be ordered at the store, or online.

I do mail signed book plates to readers upon request, even overseas from the USA. It is far less expensive than sending a signed copy, especially over seas, and I see you're in the UK whereas I am in the USA. For folks in the USA, I do send signed copies of my novel. More info on that can be found at my website.

Like you, Lorna, I have shelves of books, and one shelf with signed copies I've collected and read over the years.

Lorna,

I can offer a strong recommendation for Flank Hawk. I just finished it and am working on my review.

Sieryn

Dreamer
I know it's weird and bad for trees but I like to have real books and arrange them in order on my shelves when I've finished them...

Not weird, I love my bookcases full of delicious entertainment and wonder. I buy all my favorites in paper form still, even when the trees send me death threats.

My stuff is out in paperback...linked through self promo forum ^^!

Lorna

Inkling

I do like the sound of the magic vs modern technology theme in Flank Hawk. Sounds awesome.

And available from Amazon UK.

Ordered and on it's way. I'm looking forward to reading it :)

You know they have these things called e-readers that are not big and bulky in bed, right?

I like collecting books myself, but I think that books will stop being offered in trade paperback or normal hardcover editions. Instead you will only be able to find mass-market paperbacks regularly and collectible hardcovers at hobby shops and the like.

That is my prediction anyway.

I'm using my funds from my e-books to finance the printing, but no luck so far.

And thanks to people mentioning the self-promotion area. I still haven't explored the ins and outs of the site yet--restraining myself just to "subscribed threads" and "today's posts" for the most part.

The Self-Promotion forum is specifically for that purpose, but there's no obligation to use it if you don't feel comfortable.

I do feel uncomfortable, although I think I might have put some small hint on the self-promotion forum yonks ago.

I self-promote in other places - I'm just here because I like talking about writing and sharing what I think I've gained over 20 years of writing.

TWErvin2

Auror
I do like the sound of the magic vs modern technology theme in Flank Hawk. Sounds awesome.

And available from Amazon UK.

Ordered and on it's way. I'm looking forward to reading it :)

Thank's Lorna! I truly hope Flank Hawk meet's your expectations. I look forward to your thoughts!

Not to self-promote, it's more an agreement of preference...but *raises hand* I too have a paperback through Createspace. I did it mainly because, a) I wanted it and surprisingly so did a lot of my friends, and b) I found it turned out to be really good for the final edit to actually see it laid out in a paperback, a different way to catch snafus. So, yes. While ebooks are the hot thing among most, I find there are many who still prefer the feel (and look and layout) of paper and ink. :)

Not to self-promote, it's more an agreement of preference...but *raises hand* I too have a paperback through Createspace. I did it mainly because, a) I wanted it and surprisingly so did a lot of my friends, and b) I found it turned out to be really good for the final edit to actually see it laid out in a paperback, a different way to catch snafus. So, yes. While ebooks are the hot thing among most, I find there are many who still prefer the feel (and look and layout) of paper and ink. :)
I think the OP was asking for people to self-promote, But you make a great point about the print version for catching mistakes. At two (or four) of my editing phases I printed off copies of my book at FedEx Office to read traditionally.