• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does anyone else daydream?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've always done this, and every other writer I know does it. What messes with my head is wondering what non-creatives think about all day, if it's not imaginary friends and lives lived that aren't our own.

These have been the main inspiration for my writing. When I was a kid I was a maladaptive daydreamer, which has lessened since I became an adult and my life became more stable. But these intense daydreams are the inspiration of my works. I was wondering if anyone else has done this?
I used to day dream about cartoon and anime style fights. But nowadays I occasionally slip into my universe for some daydreaming. It's kinda cool.

I get ideas from dreams. I am lucky, that once in a while I can enter a lucid dream and play almost the entire story through before I wake up. The trouble is remembering the specifics afterwards. Even keeping a digital recorder by the bed and trying a stream of consciousness recitation as soon as I get up doesn't seem to work. I try not to sweat it and let the ideas and sensations float back to me over the next few days.
Right now I've got the "memory" of a sunny hillside and cloud busting with not a care in the world. And no idea where it fits in a story...
I'm a little jealous, I've always wanted to get into lucid dreaming.

Empathy001

Acolyte
Oh I absolutely Daydream. Once when I was little, I had a daydream that I could literally travel to other worlds (basically reality shifting, but I didn’t know there was a name for that at the time.) I was so convinced that I made a bunch of my friends that I could do it, and then they began to claim they could as well. Looking back, I just wanted to be special, and my friends didn’t want to be left out, so we all collectively gaslit each other into believing it was real for like a year lmao.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I've always done this, and every other writer I know does it. What messes with my head is wondering what non-creatives think about all day, if it's not imaginary friends and lives lived that aren't our own.
If I'm to judge by my non-creative daydreams, it's probably intense debates on topics that weren't brought up. I'd be a wealthy man if I could cash in the amount of times I've been enraged by an illogical argument an imaginary strawman made in my head.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Oh I absolutely Daydream. Once when I was little, I had a daydream that I could literally travel to other worlds (basically reality shifting, but I didn’t know there was a name for that at the time.) I was so convinced that I made a bunch of my friends that I could do it, and then they began to claim they could as well. Looking back, I just wanted to be special, and my friends didn’t want to be left out, so we all collectively gaslit each other into believing it was real for like a year lmao.
That is hysterical, mostly for me because my wife did that with her entire 6th Grade class, teachers and all, roleplaying an espionage thriller about a clandestine military organization during the Cold War. Appropriate, as it was in reality during the Cold War. The 80's were trippy.

Day dreaming.
When day dreaming, I feel my mind a cloud.
And this day dreaming helps me think of poems to write.
Such as this poem.
In the morning I feel I am counting sheep out of spite.
As they are out of sight.
And when I daydream so, I feel like I am rather sleep walking.
Like my waking dreams the previous night are mocking.

SandyC

Acolyte
I get ideas from dreams. I am lucky, that once in a while I can enter a lucid dream and play almost the entire story through before I wake up. The trouble is remembering the specifics afterwards. Even keeping a digital recorder by the bed and trying a stream of consciousness recitation as soon as I get up doesn't seem to work. I try not to sweat it and let the ideas and sensations float back to me over the next few days.
Right now I've got the "memory" of a sunny hillside and cloud busting with not a care in the world. And no idea where it fits in a story...
That's very interesting because it works the other way around for me. If I don't write it down immediately, preferably straight after waking up, the dream fades too quickly. But if I do, I can often return to it the next night when I think about it as I fall asleep. Sometimes it continues.

Mireille

Scribe
I work in the exams office in a school. I couldn’t do my job well if I couldn’t daydream. 2 hours in silence, watching students’ stress requires an active inner world.

I find it hard to stop!

Daydreaming is honestly where I do most of my planning (now if I could actually get around to writing those damn daydreams down, we'd be cooking with charcoal...)

One of my fave things to do is what I personally call the "Clue" method. I imagine an interaction between characters, a fight, o whatever, then dial it back and ask "okay, but what if it happened like this?"

Clansman

Acolyte
I almost never remember my dreams. And certainly not long enough for them to become a story. I day dream on purpose. When i younger i did that whenever i could. As an adult its more focused. When in writing mode, i imagine the story and scene well before writing it. Dreams matter :) my characters better appreciate them.
I too, almost never remember my dreams. I try to keep a notebook & pen handy at all times. But ... in the middle of the night, with the possibility of waking up 'you know who', I decide I'll remember in the morning. I concentrate on the bits I remember, attempting to repeat them over and over until I'm sure I can't possibly forget ... and then I eventually fall asleep, again. In the morning I always remember that there was a dream I should remember ... but! Daydreaming is useful. It's exploring possibilities with the ideas you already have. Write everything down. It can be a part of your 'Zero draft.'

Pesimystical

Hi all, I daydream too often, so my current book is busy writing itself, I am bursting with ideas just don't have the time to write it all down. So I've learned to daydream at 4a.m. Often giggling to myself when a new idea materialises.

jjxtra

Dreamer
My head is usually in the clouds. Being autistic, I find myself lost in random thoughts frequently. As a kid, it's practically all I did at home. That and play on the computer.