• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dragon Skin Colors

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Hmm... all good info here. I too, an a huge fan of dragons. I use colors in my dragons, but none of my dragons are inherently evil or good. They're animals, and like wolves, a red one isn't any more aggressive or evil than a black or white one, necessarily.

One thing that changes from color to color, is the types of magic they govern. While all dragons have some of the same powers, others have breath weapons, some are flying, some are beings that exude corruption... it is all based on magic they can't control, or can, and use to their advantage.

Dragons in my world are rare, and the biggest, oldest are many times more powerful than the young ones.

Barsook

Minstrel
(Maybe a article could be written about dragons and the use of dragons in a world)

Anyways, thanks for all of the comments/suggestions/tips/ect, I'm already in the process of redesigning my dragons and Dragzards.

SeverinR

Vala
Hmm... all good info here. I too, an a huge fan of dragons. I use colors in my dragons, but none of my dragons are inherently evil or good. They're animals, and like wolves, a red one isn't any more aggressive or evil than a black or white one, necessarily.

One thing that changes from color to color, is the types of magic they govern. While all dragons have some of the same powers, others have breath weapons, some are flying, some are beings that exude corruption... it is all based on magic they can't control, or can, and use to their advantage.

Dragons in my world are rare, and the biggest, oldest are many times more powerful than the young ones.

I use similar colors for like species dragons, I reason the base color would be caused by the breath weapon as a side affect or something. Electric blue, white-frost, fire red, etc, but the second or third colors could be anything else. A 50/50 red blue dragon would be difficult to tell with what weapon they would deal with, but there are other traits that tell also. (one common is the crest horns)

Barsook

Minstrel
The crest horns is set by the author, right? Or is there a common dragon species design that many follow?

SeverinR

Vala
I don't think anyone has established a crest horn norm.
I think alot of artists automatically think of D&D's crest horn tradition, so if you look at dragons they tend to use the D&D standard.
The way I look at them, crest horns are basically defensive, so the more aggressive the dragon the smaller(in number and size) the defensive horns would be. The less agressive the bigger the defensive horns would be.
I think the only offensive horns would be on the spade.(tail)

SeverinR

Vala

The only beasts I have labeled good or evil:
Unicorn(although unicorns can be corrupted or fall) and Devil/demons.
Nomadic orcs tend to be conquerers, but there are groups that set up towns and they tend to be more neutral.
I figure if a being can think, they can decide if good or evil is best, or something in between.

My dragons, like in nature, the young are full of energy and charge, where as the older dragons tend to think it out and use their abilities to peak. Thus they are more dangerous.

Then again, most of the time the evil, don't consider themselves evil, just taking what is rightfully thiers, or that the others would do the same if they had the ability.

Valoren

Dreamer
You could go the way that I have done and relate it to racial type much as human races have different colouration physical features. Go beyond generalisation that is portrayed by most established fantasy writing and create something a little different. I related my dragon colours partially to elemental type and partialy to genetic background. And don't forget the smaller details such as underbelly coat, banding of colour on the tail, around the eyes. ect. to make a dragon not seem generic you have to make it yours. Hope this helps.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
If they are human-like, I'd treat them as human society. All shapes and colors with varying personalities and maybe racist to skin colors not of their own. Opens up many doors, you just have to figure out how you want to place the skin colors geographically.

Zireael

Troubadour
Someone tell me what the crest horn is...

On topic: you can go with a lot of things if you want color to reflect personality. You might, for example, incorporate 4 elements.

I like the idea of mixing colors a lot!

Phietadix

Auror
I am pretty sure the crest horns are the horns the dragon has his head, number of horns, size, shape, and positon on the head vary.