• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dreams where you can fly

tofit

Dreamer
How many of you have had dreams where your flying? Personally I have this dream often when I do have dreams. I usually flap my arms like a bird and start flying and soaring. My biggest fear when flying isn't falling, it's power lines.
I always feel like power lines get in the way of my flight path.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Tofit, and welcome to the Dreamscape!

Dreams about flying in various styles are very common, especially among creative people. Most of my enjoyable dreams involve flying in one way or another, anything from rocket-style flight at crazy high speeds to something simpler and slower like the flip-your-arms like a bird method that you have described in your post.

Some of those high-speed flight dreams were the inspiration for the flying style displayed by some of my Mages, who are capable of attaining fantastic hypersonic speeds as they ride on their magical crystals!

And now... Power Lines!

You would be surprised to know just how many people complain about power lines showing up during their Flying dreams. It used to happen to me too, and it was very annoying since those endless power lines would just continue to appear no matter how high I would fly above the ground. I mean, I know that it would be impossible to find power lines like ten kilometers above open fields, and yet there they were anyway!

Have you sometimes flown at high speeds, or is it always more like peaceful and slow?

I’ve had flying dreams quite often but it wasn’t until recently that I realized it.

In these dreams, me being able to fly is some kind of natural phenomena that begins with just placing with my arms outwards to the sides like I’m about to use my arms like wings, except I make little circling motions. The more important part is catching the wind, and when the wind is heavy enough I begin making small jumps and instead of landing back to the ground I stay at the hieght in which I jumped to. In order to go higher I just continue making those small jumps.

In these dreams it feels completely normal though the people around me are shocked. It comes across like it’s a simple, easy thing to do and all I’ve done is figured it out. And while asleep it is an unequivocal fact I can fly and I accept that so strongly that when I wake up, I question reality for a split second.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Rex!

I found it interesting, when you mentioned that Dream flying feels completely normal to you at the same time that nearby people are shocked at seeing you do this. In my case, it also feels very natural and instinctive to me... the difference is that when this happens, people (and other types of creatures as well!) display open hostility towards me together with shock and surprise.

Just a few nights ago, a crowd of angry villagers tried to catch me but I managed to escape by quickly taking off from a high cliff.

I believe that they thought I was some kind of witch, which is not surprising considering that many Witch characters in my dreams often fly a lot and very powerfully. They were scared of me, and I can understand them!

Flying is definitely one of the best Dreamworld experiences that can be enjoyed.

Hi,

Had a flying dream once when I was maybe five or six. For some reason I was on top of the fridge and about to take off around the kitchen. Don't know why. I've always connected the dream with my fear of heights.

Cheers, Greg.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Greg!

I also still remember several dreams from my early childhood, but sadly most of them were nightmares. Your dream sounds sweet, and I am curious to know how did you manage to climb to the top of that fridge given the fact that you were so small back then...

Did you take off and fly around the kitchen, or perhaps you woke up before that could happen?

I have a healthy fear of heights too, which is curious considering that I am fascinated by flying and mountains and skyscrapers. Even more curious is that in my flying dreams I am never afraid of the height factor, who knows why... and in some of my dreams, I have flown so high that entire forests and cities look very small so far below me.

The next time that I have a flying dream, I am going to tell everyone about it in this thread.

Hi,

Sorry, can't tell you. I'm one of those people who never remembers their dreams. And the tiny bit I do remember is like a second long scene of being on top of the fridge and about to take off and fly around the kitchen. But it must have been important since I can remember that!

Cheers, Greg.

kyrrimar

Acolyte
I had frequent, vivid flying/soaring dreams as a child--freedom and broadened perspective and feeling safe as I seem to recall. Greatest fear was falling, which I would invariably do. I would try everything I could think of to stay in flight and remember the sheer terror of knowing that I was going to hit the ground. I think the dreams went away when I found a way, in the dream, to propel myself forward, like running through the air or leaping back up after barely touching ground (and thus not crashing). I rarely have those dreams anymore, but stress can manifest in myriad ways.

slimafe

Acolyte
Hello..
dreams where you can fly represents “Freedom”, or escape from the pressure of the real world, the ground itself. If you dream that you are flying with easiness and you are enjoying the scene below, then it suggests that you are on top of a situation.

Alexius

Acolyte
I get them from time to time. For me it's the soaring/superman style flying but the quality can vary from dream to dream. I've discovered that bad guys, in fact very few other inhabitants of my dreamscape, can fly. So it's a great way to escape.

slimafe

Acolyte
I get them from time to time. For me it's the soaring/superman style flying but the quality can vary from dream to dream. I've discovered that bad guys, in fact very few other inhabitants of my dreamscape, can fly. So it's a great way to escape.
Escaping in a dream has several descriptions, true..we cant remember our feelings in a dream. Dreamscape is trying to get rid of everyday real problems. Some dreams are interpreted as a salvation and personal exemption.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone!

I recently enjoyed a very sweet Flying Dream, one that was particularly intense and crystalline as well. The clarity and power of that dream were quite unusual for me, so I associated the experience with the effects of juniper-heavy London Dry Gin. I have discovered that LDG dreams can be quite outstanding, but I am not sure if the same happens to other people.

In the dream, I was a large wolfish creature with black fur and capable of walking on two legs.

I am not sure if I had actually transformed into that creature, or perhaps it was just a magical costume that I was wearing... the great thing is that I had magical powers of my own. Aylar powers to be precise (Aylars are a Fantasy species of mine), which means that I had terrible claws, enormous strength and speed and the ability to fly and to attack by means of waves of deadly and invisible radiation.

The setting was also nice: The same style of large cities that are common in my dreams, cities with a large area but a very low population density. I mean that there are houses, malls and skyscrapers, but everything is very separated by huge gardens, lakes and parks and there are few people to be seen.

I walked, ran and flew around, always scaring and sometimes killing people. Some of them tried to catch me anyway, but I easily escaped by flying and at certain point I used Aylar radiation against a lonely woman in a park. I know it sounds creepy, but many of my dreams are similar to this. After that, I started flying very high and I explored the highest stories and gardens at the very top of those skyscrapers.

Certain detectives or something similar were trying to find me, but I was never afraid and the feelings of power and freedom were unbelievably good.

bdcharles

Minstrel
Yes I have these alot. There is always a slight sense of foreboding, as if I've discovered how to fly but have violated some sort of natural law in the process. As if it is evidence that I am somehow possessed.

Still feels pretty good though. :)

My flying dreams are controlled levitation take offs. I can physically feel something happening to my body, like standing chest deep in the ocean being lifted off my feet by the waves; except in flying dreams I'm not in the ocean. And once my feet leave the ground (or wherever) I keep floating... levitating... up and away. It's usually a smooth, controlled event, but not always. The higher up I go, the more stable the levitation. About 6 foot off the ground is the threshold I need to get to so I feel really ready to fly. Less than that and it doesn't feel stable, like I could sink back down if I don't really concentrate. But I can jump and skip-float around at lower levels close to the ground. Sometimes it's to escape a crowd or other disagreeable situation. Often times it's for fun and exploration. I don't recall doing a lot of arm flapping like a bird... maybe smooth motions to steer, like in swimming as you glide and cut through the surface of the water. If I don't land of my own volition, I usually end up getting bogged down, bumping around or tangled up because I try to keep flying/levitate through smaller and smaller or cluttered indoor spaces. Usually workshops and garages that I'm visiting. But outdoor obstacles are no problem. Heights are only limited by my innate knowledge that if I go too high, there won't be enough oxygen to breathe and I'll freeze to death.

Aww man, flying dreams are one of the most awesome experiences. I enjoy them so much--and I think they're so important--that I ended up logging most of them and trying to analyze them. I've thought an awful lot about them; maybe it'll be interesting to someone?

My flying dreams usually take one of three forms: levitation, gliding, or full blown flying. This really interested me, because each of the three 'themes' usually follows a similar pattern:

Levitation dreams usually are a struggle to 'get off the ground'--to get started, or to muster the effort to begin flying. In these dreams, it usually takes some INTENSE focus to start levitation, almost like I'm trying to lift my own weight with telekinesis. It's usually a bout of incredible concentration, so much that my mind is usually struggling to devote all its energy to 'fly'. Then, ever so slowly, I start to rise above the ground. The most recent dream like this I can remember had me rising in a public park with spectators. Instead of the power lines halting my progress, as a few other posters mentioned, they seemed to be the last thing I could hold on to in order to root myself to the ground, else I might levitate too high. I think these dreams are a representation of starting the 'flying' process--embarking on a task that's hard as hell, and requires a lot of concentration and grit to start.

Gliding dreams are one of the most interesting: it's flight, but you can't fly forever. Eventually, you know you're going to hit the ground, and have to go through a levitation dream all over again. These dreams usually START in the air for me: I'm off the ground, sailing towards a destination, and looking at beautiful scenery along the way. I usually take this to represent that things are going well, but not perfectly. There are still some snags; whatever the 'ground' represents that will pull you away from your flow and try to keep you rooted to the earth. During these dreams, I try and pay attention to WHAT is on the ground, so I can try and get rid of it in real life--or at least address it. Often times, once the 'gliding' ends, I'll have a levitation dream within the same dream, and try to get back in the air.

Flying dreams are rare for me--full blown flying, at any rate. I think my brain knows to save them only for occasions where everything is going exactly where I want it to go. In a flying dream, everything is on course. It's effortless, easy, moving towards the destination YOU want to move towards. You're speeding along, you're doing exactly what needs to be done: that's been my experience with flying dreams. I take that to mean that the 'obstacles' are gone, that I'm in the flow. My flying dreams are usually fast paced and happy, with all aspects of the flight under control. Man... I usually wake up so ready to kickass after one of those dreams.

This turned into a long post!

Saigonnus

Auror
I recall a dream I had. I was a dragon, soaring over the countryside. I could feel the updrafts coming off the valley below, and the wind coming in from behind me. I could feel the mist on my snout when I flew through the clouds, and the chill in the air as I descended toward the snowy peaks. When I landed, the carved opening was too small for my dragon form, so I transformed back to my Human form. I had the impression that I was connected to a royal clan by the bracer I wore on my right arm, and from my fine clothes and accouterments. I also had use of magic, which permitted me to access the clan halls. It was one of the most memorable dreams of flying I can remember.

Stardust

Dreamer
I often fly in my dreams. I do the arm-flapping too :) Such fun. It always feels a bit heavy just when I take off, but then I can go really high. I do sightseeing sometimes (had an incredible, very lucid one where I flew through the night, up towards a brilliant starry canopy), and often land in trees when I want to take a break!
Sometimes I fly to escape enemies as well. Or just to get from place A to place B. I can take off during fights as well, swooping towards my enemy like a bird to land a kick or punch (oops! I always avoid fighting when I can!)

I enjoyed reading about everyone else's flying experiences. Particularly Saigonnus'. I mean... Being a dragon... How awesome is that?

Saigonnus

Auror
I used to have dreams that I am levitating often, like literally just rise up off the floor as easily as thought, but mostly I ended up stuck in a corner. Haven’t had the dream for a while though... might have had something to do with feeling trapped in a situation I was in for awhile.

D

Deleted member 6067

Just about ten minutes ago I woke from a dream like that and first thing that came to my mind was this thread.

Don't really know how or why but I found myself carrying around my (fairly big) pillow on the streets somehow. I also somehow found (or knew) that if I leaned on it while standing up I wouldn't fall but instead it would levitate me. It was sort of like pulling a big beach ball under yourself in the water, highly unstable and could throw you off any second. It was really weird, even in the dream world sense but nonetheless nothing so bizarre it would wake me up. So did my journey began to become a professional pillow pilot. The control scheme was simple, lean forwards will go forwards, backwards for reverse, sideways for strafing and rotating. Much like a helicopter. But it was still clunky. I wondered if I could do this with other items. So I nabbed the broom from home at night, taped a flashlight onto it and did like a witch, and it somehow worked. The broom had an issue with rolling and thus going wild but after some practice I found out how to tame it. It was a lot faster than the pillow ever was. From that point I used the broom to travel and race everywhere in the skies.

I've only had a flight-themed dream once (controlled, full-speed body flight) but the difference was that that one was very uncomfortable, mainly the wind blowing against your face and preventing you from even opening your eyes much. But in this one, the winds were nice and lukewarm, almost refreshing even.

I know precisely which character of mine I will be using this as a backstory for. The only downside of all this was me waking up with an abhorrent pain in my chest after finding out I did in fact ended up pulling the pillow under me.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Mel Syreth and Welcome to the Dreamscape!

Oh and welcome to Mythic Scribes in general, too. You have a very nice avatar, I love it! The name Syreth is very beautiful by the way, is that your author name or perhaps a character from one of your stories?

Thanks for sharing your cool flying dream with us!

Well, this is the first time that I hear about Pillow Flying in dreams. It sounds like loads of fun, quite original even though I prefer other methods to fly when this happens in my dreams. And yeah, I know that feeling of waking up from a dream that was so intense and clear and you want to write it down as soon as possible... It feels wonderful.

Magical broom would be for sure my favorite method to fly, congratulations on having experienced it!

Just how high did you fly above the ground? Were there towns, cities, open fields or perhaps mountains below or around you? Did you encounter challenges like the infamous power lines or something like that?

Very soon I'll post about a Flying Dream that I enjoyed a few nights ago.